Week 1 Preseason Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:12 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by Pats_12:
I'm not too worried about the picks as Orton is still learning a complex playbook that McDaniels has put in place. What I am impressed about is how awesome that offense could be, with all those different formations and talent that Denver will unveil in week 1. I think that first snap is going to be very exciting and then when Orton fires the first of several INTs, it's going to all go up in smoke. ;) [/QUOTE]Tom,

Did Kyle Orton steal your girlfriend in high school?
[/QUOTE]With his penchant for neck beards? Not a chance.

It boils down to this - one of my pet peeves is watching sports teams make ignorant decisions. It doesn't matter if I'm a fan of their team or not. I'm just baffled that people could get paid a lot of money to make decisions for their teams that are clearly the wrong ones to make. And watching McDaniels run Jay Cutler out of town and turn to Kyle Orton was about as wrong a decision as possible. I'm just amazed that anyone could have considered that the right thing to do. It's so difficult to find a big-time QB in the NFL these days so when you have one, you do everything you can to nurture that relationship and make it prosper, not flush it all down the toilet the second you take over the job.

And Orton has been a very popular sleeper pick in fantasy circles this offseason and that amazes me too because he simply isn't any good. I posted on Twitter last night that it doesn't matter how good your receiving talent is, if your QB stinks you're done. That's what could happen to the Broncos this season because of a very poor decision in my opinion.

Plus, if there's any team that should understand how difficult it can be to find a great QB, it's the Broncos. Look how long they struggled after Elway retired. Now they're intentionally making the decision to regress the QB position. I just shake my head at that.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:13 am

One other note about the games so far - I've maintained since March that Sammy Morris is the best RB the Patriots have. He's just a RB3 option but I think people are still sleeping on him.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Team Canada

Post by Team Canada » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:08 am

I took Simms in Mag league 1 :D

Tom I agree getting rid of Cutler may be the worst thing I have ever seen in the NFL :confused:

I also agree that Orton sucks really bad but when looking at maybe the best O line in the league (pass blocking I believe they are) a fantastic group of receievers (with Marshall lol) and a great system someone will emerge to have nice value as a qb ;)

Probably not Orton though that was UGLY :D
2008 double playoffs!!

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:23 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
One other note about the games so far - I've maintained since March that Sammy Morris is the best RB the Patriots have. He's just a RB3 option but I think people are still sleeping on him. i cant see why fagile fred should not be a solid rb3
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

renman

Post by renman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 am

My pre season thoughts seem to be similar at this time of the year. I for a brief period of time long for the good ole days when fantasy sports information wasn't so readily available. I remember being in college in 1990 going to the library to prepare for my fantasy drafts. I remember going through tons of box scores and taking all kinds of notes. I remember breaking down the pre season games (from the newspaper of course) to identify guys who maybe would emerge that no one had heard of.

As the years went by we all know fantasy sports steadily grew and ultimately exploded with the internet and when mainstream media was forced to embrace it and stop treating it like an unwanted stepchild. Now I have to watch guys I am hoping will slip through the cracks have good games in the pre season on nationally televised games and then watch them get touted in countless fantasy sports media outlets for all to see! For some reason I have a short period of time (about this time) where that bugs me.

Then I get over it and get absolutely fired up for another fantasy football season. I actually dead root AGAINST the guys I like in the pre season hoping they will have bad games to drop their draft value!

-I agree with Tom about how insane it is/was to run a proven young stud QB (who was improving) out of town to bring in a journeyman. While I do not think Orton is quite as bad as Tom it is clearly a downgrade. I am more amazed by the arrogance of McDaniels who shot of some soundbite a month or so ago about how he is going to bring innovative offensive packages that no one has ever seen. Pretty cocky comment, especially with a QB who is not dynamic with either his mobility or his arm.

-Some tight ends shined early in the pre season but offenses and young QB's often look to the tight end check down early in the pre season before the offenses are really clicking.

-Ray Rice was impressive.

-I know it was just one pre season game but Peyton Manning and Marc Bulgers offensive lines sure looked bad.

Can September please get here?

[ August 15, 2009, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

trueblue

Post by trueblue » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 am

Originally posted by Renman:

Can September please get here? soon, but not quick enough.. :(

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:52 am

Originally posted by GK:
...hate to be somewhat of a party-pooper here but in all honesty and sincerity what goes down in pre-season has to be taken with a grain of salt - BOTH on the positive and negative sides...SNAKE has been watching football for awhile and making this statement every year here but still there are always those that get overly enthusiastic about the performances (or non-performances) of some of the players and really, ISHO IT DOESN'T MEAN SQUAT!...on the same note, The Serpent really feels that Kyle Orton will get alot more comfortable with his new team and all here should not be so quick to jump all over his a$$ just yet as he is going to surprise more than a few folks in that offense this season (sorry to disgree with you here TK although SNAKE does indeed understand your stance)...SNAKE I can't completely agree with this, Glenn. The preseason is important for determining good vibes and bad vibes for teams in general, and individual players as well.

I don't know about you, but these are important factors for me to consider when determining my final rankings.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 am

Originally posted by GK:
...hate to be somewhat of a party-pooper here but in all honesty and sincerity what goes down in pre-season has to be taken with a grain of salt - BOTH on the positive and negative sides...SNAKE has been watching football for awhile and making this statement every year here but still there are always those that get overly enthusiastic about the performances (or non-performances) of some of the players and really, ISHO IT DOESN'T MEAN SQUAT!...on the same note, The Serpent really feels that Kyle Orton will get alot more comfortable with his new team and all here should not be so quick to jump all over his a$$ just yet as he is going to surprise more than a few folks in that offense this season (sorry to disgree with you here TK although SNAKE does indeed understand your stance)...SNAKE Glenn,

Just the other day you emailed me telling me not to sleep on Tom Brandstater, what gives? Or are you just trying to throw people off? :confused:

John