Some Very Preliminary Rankings

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:51 am

I AGREE WITH YOU THERE HE IS BY FAR THERE BEST PLAYMAKER AND HE WILL HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

I ALSO WOULD TAKE HIM ON MY TEAM AND NOT AVOID HIM (AT THE RIGHT DRAFT SLOT) BUT AT THE SAME TIME I SEE INGREDIENTS THERE THAT WOULD MAKE HIM NOT HAVE THE "MONSTER" SEASON THAT PEOPLE MAY THINK HE SHOULD HAVE.

O.K. TOM THAT WAS A GOOD DISCUSSION. SHOULDN'T A "HEALTHY" DONOVAN MCNABB BE ON YOUR Q.B. LIST?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:51 am

Yea LJ is a tough one. However, working in his favor is the fact that even though he's 28 he doesn't have a lot of mileage and he's succeeded despite suspect QB play in the past. And my current projections are way off his best seasons but they still project out higher than the RBs listed below.

Having said that, I'm real real real big on Gore this year so I could see him moving ahead of LJ. I love Barber, but the Cowboys will likely look to team him with someone this year so I can't rank him much higher. Portis could move up but he brings durability questions. I love Lynch but he has major offensive talent questions as well. Grant will shoot up the rankings if Aaron Rodgers impresses quickly. So there are some guys who could move ahead of LJ before it's all said and done.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:52 am

Ormond, when healthy McNabb is an elite fantasy QB. But he can never stay healthy so you have to project more missed time again this season. Right now he's 12th on the rankings but given how poor the QB position is he could go anywhere between 8-14 in my opinion. I wouldn't take him ahead of the first seven QBs on my list, though. His durability issues would lead me to prefer those QBs.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:57 am

McNabb is golden in a DC league however! :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 am

O.K. I AM NOT THE BIGGEST MCNABB FAN MYSELF. NOW LETS LOOK AT HIS SITUATION VERSUS HASSELBECK.

NOW IN CONTRAST TO WHAT THE PANTHERS DID THEY WENT OUT AND GOT TWO MORE BACKS. NOW TO PUT HASSELBECK AT SIX WITH HIS TWO TOP RECEIVERS BEING
BURLESON AND ENGRAM, AND NO T.E. CAN WE REALLY SAY HE IS IN A GOOD FANTASY QB SITUATION?

I KNOW THEY HAVE BRANCH BUT HE IS GOING UNDER MAJOR KNEE SURGERY AS WE ALL KNOW.

IF ANY QB ON LIST THAT HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO FAIL THIS SEASON I THINK ITS HIM. NOW IF THEY CAN PULL A TRADE FOR CHAD JOHNSON I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT FIT.

[ April 17, 2008, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:13 am

Tom, do you think Doug Gabriel can take the place of Chris Henry? This guy could be a diamond in the rough, especially if C. Johnson goes elsewhere. He looks like a perfect DC candidate.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 am

Possibly Marc. I don't think he's as talented as Henry, though. For all his issues, Henry was a major talent. He was basically a third starting WR on that team. I don't think Gabriel is that good but I do think he should be an upgrade over Antonio Chatman.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:26 am

The only ranking that really sticks out to me is Derek Anderson. No question he really stood out last year and with the addition of Stallworth its certainly reasonable to assume he'll put up good numbers again this year.
But, if you look at his numbers over the last 4 or 5 games last year and also consider a much tougher schedule this year; I can't see him being a top 5 rated QB. This on top of the fact that Cleveland actually expects to do well this year and if they get off to a slow start, with that tough schedule, they have a popular "hometown" guy they drafted in the 1st round last year sitting behind Anderson. Anderson sure isn't someone I'd consider taking in the 4th or 5th round; which is probably where the 5th QB will be drafted.
They start the year with Dallas, Pittsburgh and at Baltimore. Then after at Cincinnati and a bye, they get the Giants, at Redskins and at Jacksonville. Looking at that schedule they could be 3-4 or even 2-5 and Anderson might not even be playing. Any player can lose playing time because of injury but there shouldn't be any concern for a player ranked 5th at any position that he will lose playing time for any reason other than injury. With Anderson I believe there is.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:35 am

I don't think Anderson gets benched in favor of Quinn this season. Obviously, anything can happen but I don't believe that's in the cards. And one thing that I've always been puzzled about is why a good or great offense is viewed as being at a disadvantage against a good or great defense. The Browns' offense is lethal. They have two great receiving options in Edwards and Winslow, added a quality talent in Stallworth and have a strong No. 3 WR in Jurevicius. Plus Lewis provided a big-time punch as a RB last season. I see no reason for their offense to suffer a downgrade this season.

So if you have a potent offense going against a good defense, why does the defense always get the declared advantage? I've always questioned that. I'm not saying the Browns will beat the Cowboys and Steelers (I do think they can beat the Ravens) but their offense is good enough to put points on the board against anyone in my opinion and that bodes well for Anderson's potential.

Of the QBs I have listed behind him the only one I'd consider taking before him is Roethlisberger. It will take a lot for me to pass on the type of potential Anderson has in that offense.

But that's me.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:06 am

As I said with Anderson; if you look at his last 4 or 5 games last year it seems teams may have caught up with him (or Cleveland's offense). He put up very ordinary numbers. In addition to the tough schedule, I believe another factor working against him is Cleveland's improved defense. Last year they were compelled to try and put up as many points as possible to win. Although its early and their free agents haven't even practiced yet, the defense looks better on paper. Then, take away the 5 TD game against Cincy early last year and a couple other 3 or 4 TD games early in the season and Anderson's numbers for the entire season aren't that good. And even if he duplicates last year's numbers, if those numbers come in 3 or 4 games he lacks the consistency you need in a h2h league.

I'm not sure how to address your comment about good offenses going up against good defenses rather then ordinary or poor defenses. I guess statistically, those good offenses generally seem to do better against poor defenses. Anderson's 3 best games last year were against St Louis, Miami and Cincy all poor defenses and all coming in the first part of the season.

Having said all this, I do believe most experts will have him ranked about where you do.