Week 12 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about Week 12's action as I begin making plans for celebrating the Packers' unbeaten season:

Yes, at this point I think the Packers are looking good to go 16-0. The Giants still looms as a potentially difficult game but I don't think there's a defense in the league that can stop Aaron Rodgers and Co.

It always baffles me when a player does something blatantly stupid and then tries to deny it. Yes, Ndamukong Suh, I'm talking to you. Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean everyone else is too. We saw what you did and we know why you did it. You're a dirty player and it's time for the Lions to reign you in because you're doing your team more harm than good.

Hey look, Tim Tebow did that whole winning thing again. Don't you just hate it?

OK, let's talk Tebow - I thought this was his best matchup of the season to date considering how awful the Chargers' defense has been the past month. I thought he could be a fantasy stud this week. Unfortunately, Tebow didn't really deliver. He wasn't awful but he didn't take full advantage of a sweet matchup against a very generous San Diego defense. His receivers didn't help him with several drops but when you get 20+ carries you have to think a bigger rushing day is forthcoming. Overall, he remains a safe fantasy option, though. He's yet to kill fantasy owners who have started him and his Week 15 and 16 matchups are crazy good. In other words, he remains very safe and reliable for his fantasy owners. In this wild and wacky season that counts for a lot in my book.

I do wonder, though, how good Tebow could be if he still had Brandon Lloyd. That trade definitely didn't help his QB development.

While Tebow will deservedly get plenty of attention again, this game was won by Denver's defense. Granted, Philip Rivers and the San Diego offense is really having issues but the Broncos are stepping up and playing very well defensively of late. John Fox has done a terrific job getting that unit to play at a high level.

What a rebound season from Willis McGahee. I'm thinking there are a few teams kicking themselves for not showing more interest in him after the lockout ended.

If you're a Vincent Jackson owner and you're starting him against Champ Bailey your only other WR options should be me and Greg.

Hey Nick Novak, find a restroom will ya?

I'm thinking the Bears won't be sending the Chiefs Christmas presents anytime soon for stealing Kyle Orton away from them. Orton's no miracle worker by any stretch but it's safe to say the Bears sure could use him.

The Raiders were playing without Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford yesterday and still won. I'm not sure but I think I saw James Jett catch a pass at one point.

Brad Smith caught four passes for 77 yards and a touchdown on Sunday. That's the same number of yards and one touchdown more than Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald got combined. Just like everyone predicted going into the weekend.

Why stop there - Johnson, Fitzgerald and Mike Wallace combined for seven receptions this week. That's two fewer than Maurice Morris, who's not only a running back but began his game as a backup. Isn't this game fun?

It's a good thing their schedule isn't very difficult the rest of the way because the Texans are in a heap of trouble at quarterback.

I feel bad for Matt Leinart since this was possibly his last big chance to prove he could be an NFL starter but how scared were the Texans to let him throw the ball? Nearly every pass attempt he threw before getting hurt was of the dink-and-dunk variety. Gary Kubiak was talking big about believing in Leinart but the game plan told a far different story.

Speaking of game managers, Alex Smith got exposed in a big way by the Ravens. Yes, he was under siege throughout that game but his pocket presence was terrible and he was unable to make plays in the passing game when his team needed him to. The 49ers just needed one score in the entire second half to have a chance to win but Smith couldn't get it done. I'm not saying it's panic time in San Francisco because it's not. Far from it. But his limitations as a passer have been the biggest question surrounding that team and he did nothing on Thanksgiving to answer them positively.

Smith's failure also came against a Baltimore defense which got ravaged by Andy Dalton the week before. Did I mention Dalton did that without his go-to wide receiver?

So what does all that tell us? Well, it tells us Andy Dalton is a better QB than Alex Smith. But it also tells us that it's impossible to predict nearly everything about the NFL on a weekly basis this season.

About the only thing I feel safe in predicting at this point is that Aaron Rodgers is going to be a fantasy stud each and every week. That's about it.

Frank Gore owners probably aren't feeling all that great this week but never fear - he gets the Rams in Week 13. You'll be much happier a week from now.

I don't have Laurent Robinson in a single league (unfortunately) but if I did he wouldn't leave my lineup until he stopped producing. I don't care if Miles Austin returns in Week 13, I'd still start Robinson. That's how hot he is right now.

Matt Moore - fantasy football savior? Makes perfect sense this season.

By the way Brandon Marshall, that TD catch you made against the Cowboys was magnificent. Makes me wonder why you drop so many easy ones right in your hands, though.

Remember last week when I said Beanie Wells was going to return to RB1 status against the Rams? I hope you were listening.

He won't get a single MVP vote but what Maurice Jones-Drew is doing on arguably the worst offense in the league with so little talent around him (especially at quarterback) is nothing short of outstanding. What a player.

On Saturday, I Tweeted that I would rather have Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson instead of Blaine Gabbert. I took a little heat for that comment. After Sunday, all I can say is ...

Case closed.

When agents talk to players about how best to perform/behave when they're angling for a new contract I'm guessing DeSean Jackson and Peyton Hillis won't be used as role models. Hillis' season has been a disaster on every level imaginable and Jackson's season hit its nadir on Sunday with him showing an amazing lack of concentration in the blowout loss to New England. Things were so bad for Jackson he got benched. I'm guessing many of his fantasy owners may adopt a similar approach going forward.

For those who may have been wondering, Reggie Wayne is alive. He's the WR who put up more than 20 points on fantasy benches and Waiver Wires this week.

There is no truth to the rumor there was a 21-gun salute for Marvin Harrison during his Ring of Honor celebration on Sunday.

He's been a pretty big bust throughout his career but right now "Dammit Donald" Brown has become fantasy relevant. That's how crazy this season has been.

I don't know a whole lot but I do know that if I have RBs facing the Panthers, Colts and Bucs I'm starting them. With extreme confidence.

Hold on, John Skelton just sailed another pass well over Larry Fitzgerald's head.

After going eight consecutive games without a touchdown, Mike Williams has now scored in back-to-back games. Assuming he hasn't killed your team already he's finally playing like the strong WR2 he was projected to be going into the season.

Well that sure was an impressive win by the Steelers against the Chiefs, wasn't it?

If you're a Rashard Mendenhall owner and you're wondering why he didn't get 20-25 carries in a close game, you're not the only one. Trust me.

From the "Isn't Fantasy Football Fun?" file - Vince Young threw for 400 yards and a touchdown, rushed for 40 more yards and really didn't play that well.

Stevie Johnson ended up being the goat against the Jets but there's no denying he torched Revis Island. Again.

Remember when a game was close and you were confident the Jets' defense would make a big play to wrap up the victory? Those were fun times.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had thrown two TDs in his previous three games. So of course he faces the Jets and passes for three. Pretty sure we all saw that coming, right?

It's amazing to me how many people can't come to grips with the fact Brett Favre is retired. Yeah, he's un-retired before but never 10-12 weeks into the season and never coming off a year when he was so physically beaten and battered. He's done, people. Let it go.

Just when you stopped trusting Chris Johnson he looks like Chris Johnson again. At this point, if you can figure him out more power to you.

Benching Rex Grossman never made a lick of sense. After watching Grossman lead the Redskins to an upset victory over an improved Seattle team on the road, it makes even less sense. I'm legitimately wondering if the game has passed Mike Shanahan by.

So Harry Douglas starts last week for the injured Julio Jones and does little. Jones returns this week, doesn't catch a pass and Douglas scores. That makes perfect sense to me too.

Julian Edelman - Defensive Player of the Year?

And lastly, we're all rooting for Jimmy Graham, Lance Moore and Pierre Thomas tonight. I mean that. Just root for them and we'll all be happy.

[ November 28, 2011, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:18 am

I hope you're right on Lance Moore!

I need Brees and Moore to light it up tonight, and to a lesser degree would also be helpful if they don't feature Sproles too much.

It's very possible that after tonight's game 5 teams will be within 30 points of each other in the fight for 2nd place.

Unfortunately, we have one owner who has been playing Vick over Young and could affect first place next week, rendering the race for 2nd moot since current first place team is well over 100 points ahead in the point race.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am

It always baffles me when a player does something blatantly stupid and then tries to deny it. Yes, Ndamukong Suh, I'm talking to you. Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean everyone else is too. We saw what you did and we know why you did it. You're a dirty player and it's time for the Lions to reign you in because you're doing your team more harm than good.

The Suh thing is far overblown IMO...it's funny to hear all this vitriol from fans around the league saying he should be have lengthy suspension, be kicked out of NFL, etc....when all of them would LOVE to have him on their team. I really don't even think he should be suspended more than 1 game and agree with the following articlle from Bill Simonson's Mlive blog....

Should Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh be suspended?
No.

His ejection for retaliating against Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith after a cheap shot that was directed at Suh’s knees was enough. The way the word "stomp" is being used almost makes me laugh. It was more of a quick kick than a stomp. No player was hurt.

Watch the video and you will see the intent to injure Suh first. Packers players didn’t seem too emotional over the situation because they knew this was a planned attempt to hurt Suh or get him tossed from a game.

Almost every team on the Lions schedule the past two years has found a public forum to complain about Suh because he is that good.

So the huge question remains: What is the big deal here? I don’t condone cheap shots, but being kicked out of a nationally televised game is enough punishment for this so-called crime against football humanity.

The real story here is the NFL’s and media’s witch hunt on Suh since his rookie season. For some reason, this man of outstanding character off the field has been labeled from the start of his pro career as a dirty player. The league was waiting for a moment like this.

Simonson-blog-logo.jpg
Now, Suh is a grown man and he let his emotions get out of control for a play. He knows he was wrong, but the fallout doesn’t match the action.

Part of this is because of the hypocrisy of the NFL and media that think a soft kick of the cleats to the forearm of a Packers offensive linemanwho tried to take Suh out at his knees warrants more coverage than Packers linebacker Erik Walden getting arrested for allegedly beating up his girlfriend after the game.

Suh never has put an opposing player out of the game or into a hospital. I never have even seen a bruise or injury from the so-called dirty play of Suh. I did read that Walden’s girlfriend had bruises on her body.

I love the selectivity of stories that fit the NFL propaganda machine. The league’s mission has been to show that it is a sport that stresses safety first. This helps against any future lawsuits filed by former players who were true victims of dirty play.

Go ask the Pittsburgh Steelers how they have been singled out the past two years for so-called dirty play. Add the fact that the NFL is going overboard to protect quarterbacks with a name. At the end of the day, the league is more about scoring than it is about defense.

I think the time will come when you won’t be able to tackle the quarterback in the pocket. Kickoff returns are all but gone because of injury fears, so it’s not out of the question to think the day will come when quarterbacks can’t be touched.

Football is a tough, physical game. Those who choose to play know it. The fans who follow the sport know it.

Suh was wrong to do what he did, and the ejection was enough justice for an action where nobody was hurt.

The character assassination of a good man such as Suh is what bothers me about this story. They seem to think he fits what Detroit is all about. I’m concerned more about NFL players beating their girlfriends off the field than I am about a mild kick of the cleats to the forearm of a cheap shot artist. I guess I have different priorities from most in the media.

Suspending Suh is just wrong.

Money

Post by Money » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

Amen
Joe

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Originally posted by TR:

The Suh thing is far overblown IMO...it's funny to hear all this vitriol from fans around the league saying he should be have lengthy suspension, be kicked out of NFL, etc....when all of them would LOVE to have him on their team. I really don't even think he should be suspended more than 1 game and agree with the following articlle from Bill Simonson's Mlive blog....

Should Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh be suspended?
No.

His ejection for retaliating against Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith after a cheap shot that was directed at Suh’s knees was enough. The way the word "stomp" is being used almost makes me laugh. It was more of a quick kick than a stomp. No player was hurt.

Watch the video and you will see the intent to injure Suh first. Packers players didn’t seem too emotional over the situation because they knew this was a planned attempt to hurt Suh or get him tossed from a game.

Almost every team on the Lions schedule the past two years has found a public forum to complain about Suh because he is that good.

So the huge question remains: What is the big deal here? I don’t condone cheap shots, but being kicked out of a nationally televised game is enough punishment for this so-called crime against football humanity.

The real story here is the NFL’s and media’s witch hunt on Suh since his rookie season. For some reason, this man of outstanding character off the field has been labeled from the start of his pro career as a dirty player. The league was waiting for a moment like this.

Simonson-blog-logo.jpg
Now, Suh is a grown man and he let his emotions get out of control for a play. He knows he was wrong, but the fallout doesn’t match the action.

Part of this is because of the hypocrisy of the NFL and media that think a soft kick of the cleats to the forearm of a Packers offensive linemanwho tried to take Suh out at his knees warrants more coverage than Packers linebacker Erik Walden getting arrested for allegedly beating up his girlfriend after the game.

Suh never has put an opposing player out of the game or into a hospital. I never have even seen a bruise or injury from the so-called dirty play of Suh. I did read that Walden’s girlfriend had bruises on her body.

I love the selectivity of stories that fit the NFL propaganda machine. The league’s mission has been to show that it is a sport that stresses safety first. This helps against any future lawsuits filed by former players who were true victims of dirty play.

Go ask the Pittsburgh Steelers how they have been singled out the past two years for so-called dirty play. Add the fact that the NFL is going overboard to protect quarterbacks with a name. At the end of the day, the league is more about scoring than it is about defense.

I think the time will come when you won’t be able to tackle the quarterback in the pocket. Kickoff returns are all but gone because of injury fears, so it’s not out of the question to think the day will come when quarterbacks can’t be touched.

Football is a tough, physical game. Those who choose to play know it. The fans who follow the sport know it.

Suh was wrong to do what he did, and the ejection was enough justice for an action where nobody was hurt.

The character assassination of a good man such as Suh is what bothers me about this story. They seem to think he fits what Detroit is all about. I’m concerned more about NFL players beating their girlfriends off the field than I am about a mild kick of the cleats to the forearm of a cheap shot artist. I guess I have different priorities from most in the media.

Suspending Suh is just wrong. Are we talking about that fine, upstanding young man who swore he did nothing wrong, never kicked anyone, was actually walking away from the situation? That fine young man?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Are we talking about that fine, upstanding young man who swore he did nothing wrong, never kicked anyone, was actually walking away from the situation? That fine young man?

He was trying to remove himself from the situation and frankly I wouldn't have blamed him for a much harsher response considering the "innocent victim" packer olineman tried to take away SUH's livelihood with that blatant and meditated cheap shot directed at his knees.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Could Suh have handled the situation better? Of course he could have. All he would have had to say was that he lost his cool due to a cheap shot taken at his knees.

The act for which he is getting slammed by the media wasn't even that bad. As TR points out above, there was no injury as a result of his actions. And frankly, I'm sure that on any given Sunday many worse things take place that aren't captured on camera. No way can this be compared to the Albert Haynesworth incident of a few years ago.

Because the game was played on the national stage and the only game on at the time, I'm sure the commissioner feels compelled to suspend him. However, Suh's action was in the heat of the moment in what many old school players would say is the right way to handle things...on the field. Mike Ditka is on record of saying that he has "stomped" on guys if he felt they were deserving.

Suh has displayed numerous times what a great individual he is off the field. His aggressiveness on the field and a few questionable decisions shouldn't take away from that. He plays the game hard and is a fierce competitor. There are a lot of teams that would love to have that guy on their roster.

I'm also positive if it was the Packer lineman that "stomped" on Suh, it wouldn't nearly be the overblown ordeal that it is now. I'm also sick of hearing that he cost his team a chance to win the game. That's ridiculous, as the Packers were going to win that game regardless. If anyone cost their team the game, it may have been Matt Stafford, for completing all those passes....to the Packers!
Go Big Red!

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Originally posted by TR:
Are we talking about that fine, upstanding young man who swore he did nothing wrong, never kicked anyone, was actually walking away from the situation? That fine young man?

He was trying to remove himself from the situation and frankly I wouldn't have blamed him for a much harsher response considering the "innocent victim" packer olineman tried to take away SUH's livelihood with that blatant and meditated cheap shot directed at his knees. I want you on my jury if I ever commit a felony !

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:21 pm

I think the problem here is that Suh has had NUMEROUS personal fouls up to this point. We aren't talking about this being an isolated incident.

Also, whoever it was who said "no one got hurt", is ridiculous.

So if he spit right in someone's face or gave someone the finger in front of everyone it is OK because no one got hurt?? :rolleyes: Im sorry but these guys make RIDICULOUS amounts of money......they need to be held accountable for their lack of control and stupidity.

I can guarantee you if I go into work tomorrow and spit in someone's face or give someone the finger in front of everyone SOMETHING will be done. If I stomped on someone.....I may be fired immediately.

People trying to justify this idiot's actions is comical.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think the problem here is that Suh has had NUMEROUS personal fouls up to this point. We aren't talking about this being an isolated incident.

Also, whoever it was who said "no one got hurt", is ridiculous.

So if he spit right in someone's face or gave someone the finger in front of everyone it is OK because no one got hurt?? :rolleyes: Im sorry but these guys make RIDICULOUS amounts of money......they need to be held accountable for their lack of control and stupidity.

I can guarantee you if I go into work tomorrow and spit in someone's face or give someone the finger in front of everyone SOMETHING will be done. If I stomped on someone.....I may be fired immediately.

People trying to justify this idiot's actions is comical. Comical to make the analogy u just gave when talking about a sport where players are basically paid to legally assault each other on the field...just sayin