NFFC Notables

pizzatyme

NFFC Notables

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:56 am

I would say all of this skill vs. luck talk is way too early. Yes, Ronnie Brown has started strong. Now that the QB and WR situations have changed, I wonder how he'll finish the season.

Would it be bad luck if all of the sudden he started running into 8 man fronts?

The assessment needs to come after all of the games have been played.

My team suxors, however, I feel I still have a chance, however slim, to make some noise.

At a minimum, let's get through the BYE weeks to see how things are progressing. And, to be fair, let's analyze this once the season is over.

Good luck to everyone!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Inf4life

NFFC Notables

Post by Inf4life » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:06 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
I would say all of this skill vs. luck talk is way too early. Yes, Ronnie Brown has started strong. Now that the QB and WR situations have changed, I wonder how he'll finish the season.

Would it be bad luck if all of the sudden he started running into 8 man fronts?

The assessment needs to come after all of the games have been played.

My team suxors, however, I feel I still have a chance, however slim, to make some noise.

At a minimum, let's get through the BYE weeks to see how things are progressing. And, to be fair, let's analyze this once the season is over.

Good luck to everyone! Ronnie Brown doesn't have a favorable upcoming schedule in my opinion. So we will see how he fares for the rest of the season. But I think his production will drop off from here.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

KOTRAX

NFFC Notables

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
[qb] [QUOTE] [qb]GREAT POINTS GREG. I AM NOT GOING TO SAY PEOPLE WHO GOT AP AND MOSS DIDN'T HAVE SKILL AT ALL. HOWEVER PICKING THEM IN THE THIRD AND FOURTH WERE NOT "REACHES" BY ANY MEANS. TO ME SKILL SAYS I HAVE TO TAKE THIS PERSON NOW BECAUSE THERE IS NO CHANCE I GET HIM THE NEXT ROUND. EXAMPLE IF YOU HAD THE FIFTH PICK AND IN THE SECOND YOU WANTED A GOOD WR. IF YOU DID NOT HOUSHMANDZEDAH THERE YOU WERE NOT GOING TO GET HIM IN THE THIRD. NOW THAT IS SKILL TO ME. TAKING A PLAYER WELL ABOVE THEIR ADP AND GETTING GREAT RESULTS. [/QUOTE]I don't agree with you Ormond because only sheep follow the exact lead of the ADP rankings before Draft Day. With 3RR, folks had to make tough decisions whether to take an RB or a WR in the second round, knowing where they drafted and what would be left when it came back to them in the next round. Just because Peterson was at 38 and Moss was at 46 doesn't mean those owners just grabbed them at those spots. A lot of the decision went into whether those owners felt an RB was best at that spot or if a WR was best at that spot. Lots and lots of decisions went into each owners' minds at that point and some called out the right names using knowledge they brought into the draft with them. I give those owners plenty of credit.

Tom and I were just talking about our WCOFF draft. We targeted Peterson for 3.6 (30th overall) and he went at the start of the third round. That owner REALLY wanted him and it's killing us now that we didn't get him or have the chance in the third round to make that decision. That being said, we passed on Moss in the fourth round and gladly took Laveranues Coles. That was our call all the way and today it's looking like we made the wrong call. But we used our knowledge to make that decision.
[/QUOTE]BY NO MEANS GREG AM I SAYING ADP IS GOSPEL. I AM SAYING THAT YOU POSTED THE ADP OF THE MAIN EVENT DRAFTS AFTER THEY WERE OVER. NOW WHEN YOU CRUNCHED THOSE NUMBERS AP CAME OUT AT 38 WHICH EQUALS THE THIRD ROUND AND MOSS CAN OUT 46 WHICH EQUALS THE FOURTH. NOW WITH THOSE NUMBERS THAT IS WHAT THE "AVERAGE" DRAFTER WAS DOING PICKING AP IN THE THIRD AND MOSS IN THE FOURTH. I AM NOT TRYING TO BE MISS CLEO BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE HINDSIGHT PEOPLE HOWEVER I THINK A DRAFTER TAKING MORE REACHES IS MORE OF A SKILL TO ME. EXAMPLES:

BRADY OVER PALMER
HOUSH OVER WAYNE

THESE ARE TWO EXAMPLES OF REACHES WHERE THE OWNER HAD TO MAKE A "TOUGHER" CALL. JUST MY OPINION

BillyWaz

NFFC Notables

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

As time has passed since my 100K run, I have begun to realize how much “luck” came into play. And when you equate fantasy football to fantasy baseball, I can easily see how much more luck comes into playing fantasy football. I don't care WHO you are, "luck" will play a factor in winning the 100K.

That takes NOTHING away from anyone who won it, but in your case Mark, you and Mr. Emma had 3 major things (IMO) help you to your title...

1) Muhsin Muhammed - This would probably be under the "luck" factor, as if Smith doesn't go down in Week One, you guys more than likely aren't winning the 100K.

2) Tony Gonzalez - This would be "skill" as you guys took him on his career year (a VERY big part of your team).

3) Reuben Droughns- This could be "luck", but I will put this in as "skill", as you picked him up, and he too was a VERY big part of you and Emma's success.

Without knowing their teams as well, I am sure Josh and Rob had some things fall their way due to "luck" or "skill". in their 100K runs!

One thing I do know is the NFFC is a pretty damn tough contest! Gekko has not been back to the playoffs since 2004, Josh missed the playoffs last year (isn't playing this year), and unless Rob Benetti's team turns around quickly, he too will be missing the playoffs!

ALL are great owners, and maybe it is a "curse" to win the 100K, but I for one wouldn't mind being cursed! :D

As I have stated before, OVER TIME (how long is based on opinion), the BETTER owners will prove there is more skill than luck, as I know one thing... you need to get to the championship round! It doesn't matter if you are the BEST ranked team going in, or the WORST, you still will have a shot at 100K! :D

[ October 17, 2007, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Notables

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:27 am

Waz - that year I was loaded up on the carolina wr. I had steve smith on most of my teams. The one I didn't was the nffc main. Btw, did we select mushin before or after his adp that year.

As for probably not winning it without mushin, I'm not sure that is a correct statement
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

NFFC Notables

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 am

Waz - that year I was loaded up on the carolina wr. I had steve smith on most of my teams. The one I didn't was the nffc main. Btw, did we select mushin before or after his adp that year.

As for probably not winning it without mushin, I'm not sure that is a correct statement He was THE BEST fantasy WR that year with 300 some odd points. DO you really believe he would have even been in the 230's had Smith played all year?

Curious to know what in your mind were the "lucky" parts of you winning the 100K that year?

[ October 17, 2007, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Notables

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:36 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

As for probably not winning it without mushin, I'm not sure that is a correct statement He was THE BEST fantasy WR that year with 300 some odd points. DO you really believe he would have even been in the 230's had Smith played all year?

Curious to know what in your mind were the "lucky" parts of you winning the 100K that year then?
[/QUOTE]i did NOT have mushin in the 230's that year. i had a good feeling that the carolina passing offense was going to be good. just like the feeling i had about shauby this year.

lucky parts to winning the 100k
1. steve smith getting hurt for the season
2. gonzo falling to us at 3.13
3. getting players hot during the last three weeks
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

NFFC Notables

Post by King of Queens » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:38 am

lucky parts to winning the 100k
1. steve smith getting hurt for the season
2. gonzo falling to us at 3.13
3. getting players hot during the last three weeks I would rank them 3, 1 and 2, with 3 far ahead of 1 and 2.

Tom Kessenich

NFFC Notables

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:39 am

No. 3 is likely to be a constant for every NFFC champ.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Nutty Scrat

NFFC Notables

Post by Nutty Scrat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:40 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
A lot of hard work goes into Fantasy Football, but a little luck helps...Looking into the standings I found a few interesting notables...

*Team Cameron, best 0-6 team in the NFFC with 698.75 points.

*Donation, worst 0-6 team in the NFFC with 579.95.

-----------------------------------------------

Thank god the 0-6 Scrats didn't make this post! LOL But there's still plenty of season left to make the grade! ROFL :eek:
Ed