NFFC Notables

pizzatyme

NFFC Notables

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 am

There is a fine line that must be tread with players like Westy and Green. Yes, over a full season, Westy will outscore most around him. However, in this format, that only really helps you if the rest of your team consistently outscores others around their respective draft positions.

In other words, a Westy or A. Green can kill you in the head-to-head part of the game.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Route Collectors

NFFC Notables

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am

Snake playing dress up on the MB.....cute.

renman

NFFC Notables

Post by renman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:40 am

This is a very interesting thread. I am one who thinks there is a ton of skill involved in this. As you can see from my previous post I also think that overcoming injury and having good depth IS part of the skill. Obviously some people have had colossal injury that can be so overwhelming that it is tough to overcome. That is part of the game unfortunately.

I think a very underrated part of this game is working several weeks ahead to prepare for things before you get stymied. Have any NFFC players made the playoffs all 3 years? I am sure that has been addressed here before and I just forgot. I know I am having a pretty good season, are there any or many others who did well last year who are also now in the top 32?

sportsbettingman

NFFC Notables

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 am

If Fantasy Football was 99% skill...wouldn't the top skilled players win 99% of the time?

Not talking profiting 99% of the years...but winning 99% of leagues entered.

99% my ass.

Closer to 65% skill than 99% IMO.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

kjduke

NFFC Notables

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:58 am

Psych studies consistently show that when people are winning they attribute success to skill or some innate ability to predict the future, and when they are losing they attribute it to bad luck.

richieprimo

NFFC Notables

Post by richieprimo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 am

Originally posted by renman:
I know I am having a pretty good season, are there any or many others who did well last year who are also now in the top 32? No...but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :rolleyes:
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

3INTBOY

NFFC Notables

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:01 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Psych studies consistently show that when people are winning they attribute success to skill or some innate ability to predict the future, and when they are losing they attribute it to bad luck. Bingo.

When succeeding it's "look what I've done"
When failing is "Look what they've done to me"

Applies to many different areas of life.

3'

Quahogs

NFFC Notables

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:02 am

Originally posted by SNAKE II:
OK Greg, I'll be sure to pass the word to SNAKE. I think what he was attempting to say though was that IF Brian Westbrook, Javon Walker, Ahman Green, Vernon Davis, Jacoby Jones, etc., had stayed healthy, and IF Willie Parker, Adrian Peterson, Plaxico, James Jones, etc. were the ones injured then in his opinion his picks would have turned out to be better ones than the players you compared them to but since his players are NOT healthy we will never know and it's NOT a fair comparison. In fact, IF his players were healthy he would NOT even be writing this as the results would have been "drastically different". He also agrees that there is 56% of the season left to be played and he is not a quitter and plans to fight until the end and ultimately be in The Championship Round, come heck or low water (whatever that means). Oh, and he wrote that he will be back after Sunday's games and to "look forward to him imparting his ever-so-humble FF wisdom on this MB once again". Thank you. you drafted high beta snake. You gambled and so far it hasn't paid off. You went for the home run now you have to sit and take your medicine. No hiding in the reeds at the banks of Crymea river.

3INTBOY

NFFC Notables

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 am

Originally posted by renman:
This is a very interesting thread. I am one who thinks there is a ton of skill involved in this. As you can see from my previous post I also think that overcoming injury and having good depth IS part of the skill. Obviously some people have had colossal injury that can be so overwhelming that it is tough to overcome. That is part of the game unfortunately.

I think a very underrated part of this game is working several weeks ahead to prepare for things before you get stymied. Have any NFFC players made the playoffs all 3 years? I am sure that has been addressed here before and I just forgot. I know I am having a pretty good season, are there any or many others who did well last year who are also now in the top 32? Does it matter? It's week 6.

I wasn't in the playoffs after week 6 last year, and I'm not out of them this year.

7 more to go, the changes will keep coming.

3'

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Notables

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
If Fantasy Football was 99% skill...wouldn't the top skilled players win 99% of the time?

Not talking profiting 99% of the years...but winning 99% of leagues entered.

99% my ass.

Closer to 65% skill than 99% IMO.

~Lance I hate the skill vs. luck talk, as you can tell Lance. But let's relate fantasy football to the NFL. What percentage is skill and what percentage is luck in the NFL? Hell, the Patriots look like 99% skill, whereas the Green Bay Packers might be 70% skill. Like the game itself, you have to be good to succeed, but you also need Lady Luck on your side, with injuries, with the way the ball bounces and with the calls from the officials. It's such a crazy game, which is why we love it so much.

For everyone to put a percentage on the level of luck in fantasy football is a total waste of time because there's luck involved in winning NFL games too. Even the most successful fantasy football owners don't succeed in every league every year, so obviously luck does play a factor in the game. I think EVERYONE understands that. To determine that percentage is foolish because it's impossible. Now fantasy baseball is a little different game and luck is less involved there than football, most would agree.

But I do agree with your "99% my ass" ass-essment!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius