Are big money leagues really worth it?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:02 am

I'm wondering who will be the first to win or place top 3 in both the NFFC and WCOFF. Since there is ad nauseum debate as to which is more difficult to win. Seeing NFFC success translate to WCOFF succes...or WCOFF success translate to NFFC success would anwser a few questions.

I believe Gekko and Rob have tasted little success in WCOFF, and I don't think any/many WCOFF success stories have faired well in NFFC. (Did Zarzycki make both playoff rounds?)

Interesting.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 am

Lance,

I am pretty sure Zarzycki has ever made the Championship round in the NFFC, and I have no idea what he did the last 2 seasons in the WCOFF, but I do know the previous 2 years, he had TWO top 3 finishes! :eek: That is an AMAZING accomplishment, and I hear the cat is a pretty damn good hold'em player too! ;)

As for Gekko, I was unaware he was ever in the WCOFF. We all know he was the inaguaral (sp) winner in the NFFC, but has yet to get back to the championship round since 2004.

I would think there has got to be A LOT more people who have done both at least once each.

I know KOQ and Don Thompson did. KOQ is the all-time points leader in overall standings in the NFFC (which obviously speaks for itself) and Don is oneof the best players in the NFFC also, but not exactly sure how either of them fared this past season "over there".

I have often considered throwing my hat into the WCOFF, but something about that added "entertainment fee", and the stories about Lenny's customer service keep me from getting in. :mad:

[ February 12, 2007, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:23 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
I believe Gekko and Rob have tasted little success in WCOFF, and I don't think any/many WCOFF success stories have faired well in NFFC. (Did Zarzycki make both playoff rounds?)I finished 5th overall in NFFC's 2005 regular season and 5th overall in WCOFF's 2006 regular season.

I'd also be interested to know the results of NFFC owners who've crossed over to the darkside. With all the talk of how easy WCOFF must be as compared to NFFC, the success rate must be staggering.
For Players. By Players.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:26 am

It's almost like watching the NFL...seeing for example...Chad Johnson get knocked out for the season...and removing every Chad Johnson owner from the top 10 overall finishes in either competition. It's THAT hard to absorb early round injuries.

Health is key to making the most $$$. WW gems would be another big key.

Good old Lady Luck!

I'd like to do what you say but opposite. (Play in the NFFC.)

It almost sickens me when I think...I could have a healthy and dominant season...yet lose my championship week matchup, and lay ONE minor egg in the playoff rounds...and have ZERO chance at the bigger money...zero chance.

That's the painful part of the luck of football...that baseball does not have.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:29 am

Nag...NICE!

You may hve the best crossover success so far!

(I almost forgot how well you did last year in the NFFC.)

Kick ass!

~Lance

~Long John Silver

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Lance,

I have often considered throwing my hat into the WCOFF, but something about that added "entertainment fee", and the stories about Lenny's customer service keep me from getting in. :mad: And stay away Billy. That is honest advice. I have been banned but I have friends that left for the very same reasons you are concerned about.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I know KOQ and Don Thompson did. KOQ is the all-time points leader in overall standings in the NFFC (which obviously speaks for itself) and Don is oneof the best players in the NFFC also, but not exactly sure how either of them fared this past season "over there".I had what I considered at the time an excellent draft:

1.09 Willie Parker
2.04 Larry Fitzgerald
3.09 Chris Chambers
4.04 DeShaun Foster
5.09 Todd Heap
6.04 Tatum Bell
7.09 Antonio Bryant
8.04 Eli Manning
9.09 Ernest Wilford
10.04 Michael Turner
11.09 Jerome Harrison
12.04 Deion Branch

I started out great, but in the end, there were too many injuries and disappointments to overcome.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:08 am

Originally posted by Nag':
I'd also be interested to know the results of NFFC owners who've crossed over to the darkside. Please see above

Originally posted by Nag':
With all the talk of how easy WCOFF must be as compared to NFFC, the success rate must be staggering. WCOFF isn't easier, just more luck involved. In particular, if you land a Top 3 pick in a 12-team league, your chances of winning are much better than a 14-team league -- ESPECIALLY with no 3RR.

You didn't happen to land a #1 overall pick in your WCOFF league this year, did you? ;) (hint: I already know the answer)

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
1.09 Willie Parker
2.04 Larry Fitzgerald
3.09 Chris Chambers
4.04 DeShaun Foster
next year switch fitz for your boy r.bush and foster for my boy lee evans.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:30 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
1.09 Willie Parker
2.04 Larry Fitzgerald
3.09 Chris Chambers
4.04 DeShaun Foster
next year switch fitz for your boy r.bush and foster for my boy lee evans.
[/QUOTE]As you very well know, I wanted Bush, and was very tempted to grab him at 2.04. I took the risk that he would make it back to me, but he went only a few picks before I took Chambers.

Sometimes you get burned...

2006 was my first year with WCOFF, and I came away somewhat disappointed. While many of the problems were out of Lenny's control, I thought some of the management decisions were terrible -- particuarly the infamous "8 A.M." free agent ruling. I am, at present, undecided on whether I will return.