Question Of The Week: Can You Win With Moss?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 am

Waz,

Three concerns:
- versus their own division I don't think Moss will prosper like he did last season (yes, he did torch them last yr)
- on my numbers, they have the worst count of easy/difficult opponents for projected fantasy passing pts in the lge (NFC West isn't as bad as it used to be)
- I think they have a more balanced attack this season

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:30 am

Sure you can win picking Moss in round 1. Personally I'd much prefer selecting Brady in round 1 than Moss. IF Moss puts up numbers deserving of a 1st round selection this year, then that in all probabilty means Brady has another "career year". Conversely, Moss can decide to "quit" like he did in both Minny and Oakland and Brady will still be a top 5 QB.
Barring injury, I want a 1st round selection that will bring it every play, every game. Moss sure did that last year, but who knows what to expect this year. He's "quit" in the past and probably will at sometime in the future. I don't want to have him on my team when that happens. And I'm not suggesting it will happen this year....but it will happen.
There are at least 9 RB's I'd take before considering Moss; adding on Brady, there are at least 10 players I'd select before I'd even think about Moss. So I probably won't have him on any teams this year as he'll be drafted in the top 10 in virtually every draft this year. If I was at 13 or 14 and he was there, I'd probably take a shot, assuming the "expected" players were off the board.
Based on his past deportment, it's Caveat Emptor for Mr. Moss.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Defensive coordinators have a season's worth of film to review on how to stop the Brady-Moss connection i don't see anyone stopping the "jump ball" with the slight Randy push off. that shitt was there all day last year. [/QUOTE]I think there are ways to stop it, we'll find out ...

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:36 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Waz,

Three concerns:
- versus their own division I don't think Moss will prosper like he did last season (yes, he did torch them last yr)
- on my numbers, they have the worst count of easy/difficult opponents for projected fantasy passing pts in the lge (NFC West isn't as bad as it used to be)
- I think they have a more balanced attack this season Kevin...buyer's remorse? :eek:

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:43 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Waz,

Three concerns:
- I think they have a more balanced attack this season Kevin...buyer's remorse? :eek:
[/QUOTE]Not much, although at least one RB I passed on I would take ahead of him now. If he doesn't get hurt he'll have a good season, I just don't see a big gap between him and the top tier like last season.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Can you win an NFFC or NBC Sports FFC league title by drafting Randy Moss in the first round? Moss has an ADP of Top 10 right now, which is among the highest we've ever seen for a wideout at this point in the off-season. Can you really win a league title with any wideout -- but especially the volatile Randy Moss -- by drafting one in the Top 10 of the first round?
Can you? - Absolutely
Will you or perhaps better asked as will you be able to put together a good enough team to win with Moss (or any WR) in the first ten picks of the 2008 drafts? - Again the answer is YES

IF he has 20% more production than the next WR, or

IF he scores as many points as the top 3-5 RB, or

IF you are sagacious enough in the running backs you will have to put together in later rounds, or

IF you draft at the Braille Institute,....AND

IF YOU have the stones to do it!

[ June 23, 2008, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Captain Hook ]

da bears

Post by da bears » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:11 pm

Can you win by drafting Randy Moss in the top 10 this year? Heck yeah!!

After the top six running backs and Brady are off the board I think Moss is a very viable option. Moss put up record stats in his FIRST season with Brady. While he surely won't match his stats from last year, I really don't see him regressing that much. The Patriots have the easiest schedule in the league, play in a pathetic division, and get to play the NFC West.

Yeah there are some question marks surrounding Moss but are they any different from those concerning Lynch, LJ, and other potential first round picks??

I don't think so, so why not take a chance on Moss. Anyways like with the Brady apporach one guy won't win the league for you, but starting out with a guy that will score 300 pts plus this season is not a bad start to the draft in my book. :D

[ June 24, 2008, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:04 am

Moss is only worth as much as other top 5 or 6 receivers. Mega fantasy seasons are ALWAYS followed up with a significant drop in production. AFC EAST isnt the walk over it used to be. Buffs def is greatly improved and Jets are better. Besides last year Buff has always played them tough. Wasnt Moss pretty much non-existent in playoffs? Defenses caught up. Prediction he finishes between 3 to 5 amongst receivers. But yes you can still win with this strategy.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:11 am

Originally posted by wahoo:
Moss is only worth as much as other top 5 or 6 receivers. Mega fantasy seasons are ALWAYS followed up with a significant drop in production. AFC EAST isnt the walk over it used to be. Buffs def is greatly improved and Jets are better. Besides last year Buff has always played them tough. Wasnt Moss pretty much non-existent in playoffs? Defenses caught up. Prediction he finishes between 3 to 5 amongst receivers. But yes you can still win with this strategy. THE OTHER TEAMS IN THE AFC EAST STINK. ESPECIALLY IN COMPARISON TO NEW ENGLAND. NEITHER OF THOSE OTHER TEAMS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THEIR OPENING DAY STARTING QB IS GOING TO BE.

ALSO 56-10 IN BUFFALO LAST YEAR DIDN'T SEEM TOO TOUGH.

EDWARDS DOES HAVE A BIG LEAD ON LOSMAN BUT THAT COULD CHANGE.

BACK TO THE QUESTION CAN YOU WIN WITH MOSS IN THE FIRST ROUND. YES YOU CAN. IF YOU CAN JUSTIFY TAKING HIM IN THE SECOND WHY NOT THE FIRST? EVEN IF YOU WANTED A RB IN THE FIRST VERSUS MOSS THE NET EFFECT OF THE RB YOU COULD GET IN THE SECOND TO PAIR WITH MOSS WOULD EQUAL THE SAME FANTASY POINTS IF NOT MORE.

[ June 24, 2008, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 am

I am partial as a Buff fan, but also realistic. Buff would have been a playoff team if it weren't for SEVEN injuries to starters on DEf and the two incredible last second wins by Dallas and Denver. 10 wins would be realistic. And I did say besides last year Buff plays NE tough. Take a look at prior years. Its usually close. How long can NE get production out of guys over 35 on defense. NE gets the SB hangover this year. Sorry to get off subject but had to stand up for my Bills. I dont see Pats as usual dominant team this year. Father time and free agency catch up this year.