robert meachem

Sandman62

robert meachem

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen it interpreted the other way before though in fantasy leagues. We'll find out soon I guess.

ultimatefs

robert meachem

Post by ultimatefs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
Meacham was a WR when the play started and when it ended, regardless of whether it was Colston who fumbled or a defensive player. Possession according to the NFL does not change until the play is whistled dead so therefore, possesion didn't change and Meacham's TD was the end result of what began as an offensive play. This isn't correct at all.. The NFL has always scored this as a Def TD.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

jdoggmms

robert meachem

Post by jdoggmms » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

i know NFFC rules are totally different than ESPNs standard rules, but this is how they are handling this situation, according to Tristan Cockcroft's Instant Replay article:

"Meachem's play was very similar to one Keenan McCardell made Oct. 6, 2003. McCardell picked up a ball that the Indianapolis Colts' Mike Doss had fumbled (just following an interception), and returned it for a score. The play will not be counted as an offensive or defensive touchdown (sorry, those of you who started the Saints D/ST), but will count instead as a fumble return for a touchdown, basically a return touchdown. So Meachem will get credit for the six points and a touchdown, even though it won't be a receiving touchdown. Currently he's sitting at 20 points in our Live Scoring and FantasyCast, but that will be adjusted to 26 points in the system."

Now, I assume that because the NFFC does not reward individual players for return touchdowns (unlike ESPN), Meachem will not receive these points. What's more interesting to me is that the play is considered neither an offensive nor defensive touchdown, rather an individual return play that does not count for a special teams unit. Weird

[ December 06, 2009, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: jdoggmms ]

OrCal Crapshooters

robert meachem

Post by OrCal Crapshooters » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:58 pm

I always assumed the defense had to be on the field to be considered a team or defensive score.What if the offensive player fumbled to be recovered by the defense. The defensive player starts his return upfield and fumbles it in the endzone to be recovered for a TD in the endzone.Is that still a defensive TD and not the player ?

TamuScarecrow

robert meachem

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:53 pm

Should make for an interesting discussion today, but that's bullsh*t that the Saints D should get a score while the offense is on the field.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

boutrous11

robert meachem

Post by boutrous11 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 am

Most (non NFFC) leagues are giving Meachem the td. "Offensive fumble recovery...."

[ December 07, 2009, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: boutrous11 ]

BillyWaz

robert meachem

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:32 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
Should make for an interesting discussion today, but that's bullsh*t that the Saints D should get a score while the offense is on the field. I agree that the Saints D should not get the score, but since the NFFC doesn't give points for returns to the individual player, I don't feel Meachem should get anything either.

Just my opinion.

Tom Kessenich

robert meachem

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:11 am

Since possession changed, this is considered to be a defensive touchdown. So the owners who started the Saints get points for the touchdown but Meachem owners do not.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

OrCal Crapshooters

robert meachem

Post by OrCal Crapshooters » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 am

Tom

Possession changed when Washington intercepted. That didn't make the interceptor an offensive player. He is still defense. Meachem is still an offensive player as long as the offense is on the field. The punter wasn't on the field or the return team. The defense was watching from the sidelines. You can't have one team playing offense and defense and the other only defense. Sounds confusing I know, but that is what you are saying. This isn't covered in any rules that I see online so it appears to be an NFFC call. Let me say I have been playing organized Fantasy football for 29 years and have never had this play ruled in this manner.Again, Meachem was an offensive player on the field. Seems like a common sense call to me. That's my opinion.

Mark