WHAT DOES ANYONE THINK OF THIS???

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 am

Originally posted by UFS:
GG, you're a very nice person, but why do you have to go to such great lengths to suck the fun out of playing? It's great to offer suggestions, but your digs on people when they don't view things the same as you only bring out the worst in people, including myself. WSOP players bluff all the time. in fact chapters of books are dedicated to it. it is embraced.

as far as digs, can you specify? if it's digs at nag, he deserves it (and expects it). if it's digs on KD, sorry, but i don't like it at all. sorry if that digs you
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:59 am

If we all played with the spirit of Lumpy's Losers or a Jim Ferrari, this event would double every year.Absolutely agreed. Jim Ferrari, this MB needs you!!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Maybe I should just go to 12 teams, 20 players, random draft selection, one location. The other way was too big of a gamble! Somehow "Lenny Ambrosius" doesn't have a good ring to it...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:03 am

I laugh at this stuff because I know you. But for those that don't, it really could affect their bids, (that's why you do it), and it could easily turn off people for next year, because why play in a league where people have to do this to win? john - i play to win. if a bluff may help me, then i'll use it. it's no different than the WSOP players bluffing. YOU may not like the tactic, but it doesn't matter to me whether you like it or not

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:09 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Maybe I should just go to 12 teams, 20 players, random draft selection, one location. The other way was too big of a gamble! Somehow "Lenny Ambrosius" doesn't have a good ring to it... [/QUOTE]I don't think there's a Lenny Ambrosius in the entire family tree!
:D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:11 am

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Maybe I should just go to 12 teams, 20 players, random draft selection, one location. The other way was too big of a gamble! Somehow "Lenny Ambrosius" doesn't have a good ring to it... [/QUOTE]I don't think there's a Lenny Ambrosius in the entire family tree!
:D
[/QUOTE]Oh, if you decide to use only one location, please make sure it's Iola, WI -- I've heard some good things about that rockin' place!

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:14 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
I laugh at this stuff because I know you. But for those that don't, it really could affect their bids, (that's why you do it), and it could easily turn off people for next year, because why play in a league where people have to do this to win? john - i play to win. if a bluff may help me, then i'll use it. it's no different than the WSOP players bluffing. YOU may not like the tactic, but it doesn't matter to me whether you like it or not [/QUOTE]fair enough.

It does matter to me because I really want to see Greg do well with this, because Greg has done so much for me over the years.

This type of stuff does not help Greg grow the event.

But we all know that's not your concern.

You might consider it a bluff, but I play enough poker to know it's not apples-to-apples here.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:44 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
GG, you're a very nice person, but why do you have to go to such great lengths to suck the fun out of playing? It's great to offer suggestions, but your digs on people when they don't view things the same as you only bring out the worst in people, including myself. WSOP players bluff all the time. in fact chapters of books are dedicated to it. it is embraced.

as far as digs, can you specify? if it's digs at nag, he deserves it (and expects it). if it's digs on KD, sorry, but i don't like it at all. sorry if that digs you
[/QUOTE]Good thoughts, John. I must admit that some of these posts even suck the fun out of it for me sometimes. Not that anyone cares if I'm having fun or not, but I don't ever want to see this as a JOB to run these leagues. The people we've got in these two events are top-of-the-line and people know I've been more lenient and trusting than the average league commissioner. Nobody needs the iron-fist commish in this setup, but sometimes I wonder if I'm right with that assessment.

GG and I have had plenty of beers together and I think I know him pretty well. But the deathknell that the KDS could provide in his view when at the same time he harps about the merits of BBDS is getting a little nauseating. I think he's made his point on this. Again, it would be easy for me to do everything on the straight and narrow and never deviate from the norm. Maybe I should have done that from the start. But as a serious gamer myself, I think this current format is best for football and you helped me develop a solid format for baseball. Tweaking them isn't idiotic, it just makes good sense. But not to everyone.

Good thing it's almost cocktail hour here in Wisconsin. I'll get some of that fun sucked back into me in a few hours! ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:04 am

I must admit that some of these posts even suck the fun out of it for me sometimes. me to

GG and I have had plenty of beers together and I think I know him pretty well. But the deathknell that the KDS could provide in his view when at the same time he harps about the merits of BBDS is getting a little nauseating. I think he's made his point on this. per your request, i will not question the KD method again.

Again, it would be easy for me to do everything on the straight and narrow and never deviate from the norm. Maybe I should have done that from the start. But as a serious gamer myself, I think this current format is best for football and you helped me develop a solid format for baseball. Tweaking them isn't idiotic, it just makes good sense. But not to everyone.no one is saying tweaking is bad. good tweaking is good. bad tweaking is bad.

i have no doubt you'll do well no matter how you tweak your events, as you're a good guy with a lot of drive. you are the best at running a high stakes event.

Good thing it's almost cocktail hour here in Wisconsin. I'll get some of that fun sucked back into me in a few hours! ;) :D

[ December 02, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:19 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
By posting your bid amounts -- particularly false/inflated ones -- you are establishing a higher level of bidding than might otherwise be necessary. not true all the time. i could certainly post a player for $75, but really bid $275, hoping to catch some people napping, aka, semi-bluff