Week 2 Revisited

Uncle Rico

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Uncle Rico » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:15 pm

sorry for all the typos above...it's late.

renman

Week 2 Revisited

Post by renman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am

Ugly,

I don't even know what you disagree with me on. I bet you don't even know. Good luck the rest of the season.

Fudgie,

I am saying the same thing as you. Those of us hurt by the week two fiasco are not saying we deserve something or somehow got screwed by the NFFC. We are saying that part of what makes the NFFC great is that it is a constantly evoloving event and this issue deserves attention. At the very least is worthy of serious discussion.

I believe if an owner cares enough or has the need to pick up an emergency player on Sat night he will find a way to get to a computer. if he can't or doesn't want a player... he can roll with the roster he has or the moves he made on the normal waiver day. Player chooses.

I just think we need some flexibility here for unforeseen events. I know the Hurricane thing happened.. but later in this season another issue came up that stuck people.. I cannot remember what it was but I do remember saying "wow, it only took another 6 weeks before we had another issue like the hurricane come up that required another waiver..."

It is at least worth discussing...

[ December 04, 2008, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Captain Hook

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 am

Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:
I would think the best option would be to add a second waiver run on Saturday evening.

Here is a valid opposition that needs to be considered.

Some do not feel it is fair/warranted to have to commit the additional time to planning for a second waiver period.

However, if you are really invested in managing your roster, there are more causes than the occasional natural disaster that might warrant you needing a late week addition to your roster.

For those that prefer to stand pat on Saturday, a safe guard could be built in. Namely, no player dropped in the first waiver period would be available until the following week.

Example:

Team A drops Antonio Bryant on Wednesday's waiver run. When the second waivers run on Saturday evening, Antonio Bryant would not be available. Only those players who were passed over on Wednesday would be available for bid.

The following Wednesday, Bryant would be added to the free agent pool and available to everyone - even those who choose not to scan the wire on the Saturday pick-up.

In this way, only the players that everyone in the lague had a chance to consider the first time through would be available on the second waiver run.

My theory is that the very best available free agents would be added the first waiver period. But for those faced with a choice of taking a zero or taking the best chance available, an option would at least exist.

When FF leagues were first formed, the original intent was to at least try to mimic the experience of running a franchise of your own. That, in reality might mean starting a player who is far less potential than the player normally scheduled to start. There is no scanario, however, that would leave a franchise an only option of not starting a running back.

That should be the same case here.

As my case illustrates from this season, sometimes even the sm,allest contribution can make a big difference in a season. It's far more fair to take a zero from a player who actually is competing in the gamers that week than from one who is not even playing.

Just my thoughts, as requested. Fudgie I am in total agreement with your post.
Once the Thursday night games started, WCOFF chose to have a Wednesday waiver period, but kept the Friday period as well. They are a little too close but at least give EVERY team more options. Moving the second one to Saturday from the start of the season would be best IMO.