A Special Late Night Chat With Me

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:36 pm

SEC country, NOT NFL country.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:11 pm

HH gets exactly what I was saying. You florida folks are tad too sensitive right now.

I do hope that all of the NFFC/NBC Floridians are fairing well with the deluge that has hit them. Better this week than next though. Maybe one more reason some northerners are leary of heading south for the drafts?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
No disrespect intended to the Florida contigency, but only 20 signups when we have a 1 million dollar carrot dangling in your faces is pretty weak. Has nothing to do with talent or the lack thereof, just need to find a site where people will go to. Kind of a waste to rent a room for 2 tables if you ask me. Agreed.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Russ, you are right. It was harsh and I meant no disrespect. I forgot the smiley face thing to lessen the harshness.

I will by you a beer when you come to Chicago next year if FLA is not an option. No worries! Thanks for the offer. :cool:
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 am

Originally posted by Hard heads:
No disrespect intended to the Florida contigency, but only 20 signups when we have a 1 million dollar carrot dangling in your faces is pretty weak. Has nothing to do with talent or the lack thereof, just need to find a site where people will go to. Kind of a waste to rent a room for 2 tables if you ask me. Well, it's not a waste if you're trying to grow your event and reach as many people as you can. It's funny because during our first year of the NFBC we barely got three leagues in Chicago and people questioned why we would stay there when LV and NY were obviously the stronger draws. Moving out of the Midwest would have been a huge mistake for baseball and football.

This year I expected 3-4 leagues in Florida for both the NFFC and NBC Sports main events. I am disappointed that we didn't reach that goal and we actually lost players there the closer we got to Draft Day as some opted to go to Las Vegas instead. I don't have a problem with that; I just feel bad for all of my dedicated Orlando drafters. We'll do our best to fill two leagues there, but I hope everyone knows what the situation is there. Teleconferences will have to be done.

Going forward, I think it's obvious that we've struck out in Florida, at least for football. We are going to put on a good event down there, talk with our customers and see what they think is the next best option. Despite this, I'm still committed to hosting a fourth city in the South. I have talked with a place in New Orleans that could cater to us and maybe that would be a worthy destination, bad weather and all. Brady Tinker says we should try Dallas instead and he'd help us there.

Lots of options to consider between now and next August, but for now let's realize that we are in Orlando because we wanted to cover the Southeast and bring our event to our best customers. We didn't appeal to as many folks as I had wanted, but still, THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!! Our $100,000 champion could come out of Orlando just like it could come out of NY, LV or CHI.

And Orlando's field looks mighty tough with a higher percentage of returning NFFC vets than quite possibly any other city. Good luck all and may the best teams win.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:48 am

Greg,

Private Message me about the place in New Orleans. I can give you the scoop. Also, despite Katrina, the concern over having an event in N.O. during hurricane season is overblown. You are already at a place as or more likely to deal with a hurricane if you stay in Florida. Finally, Harrah's does have its own hotel. Since they enjoy hosting in Las VEgas, maybe you can use that connection for New Orleans.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Hard heads:
No disrespect intended to the Florida contigency, but only 20 signups when we have a 1 million dollar carrot dangling in your faces is pretty weak. Has nothing to do with talent or the lack thereof, just need to find a site where people will go to. Kind of a waste to rent a room for 2 tables if you ask me. Well, it's not a waste if you're trying to grow your event and reach as many people as you can. It's funny because during our first year of the NFBC we barely got three leagues in Chicago and people questioned why we would stay there when LV and NY were obviously the stronger draws. Moving out of the Midwest would have been a huge mistake for baseball and football.

This year I expected 3-4 leagues in Florida for both the NFFC and NBC Sports main events. I am disappointed that we didn't reach that goal and we actually lost players there the closer we got to Draft Day as some opted to go to Las Vegas instead. I don't have a problem with that; I just feel bad for all of my dedicated Orlando drafters. We'll do our best to fill two leagues there, but I hope everyone knows what the situation is there. Teleconferences will have to be done.

Going forward, I think it's obvious that we've struck out in Florida, at least for football. We are going to put on a good event down there, talk with our customers and see what they think is the next best option. Despite this, I'm still committed to hosting a fourth city in the South. I have talked with a place in New Orleans that could cater to us and maybe that would be a worthy destination, bad weather and all. Brady Tinker says we should try Dallas instead and he'd help us there.

Lots of options to consider between now and next August, but for now let's realize that we are in Orlando because we wanted to cover the Southeast and bring our event to our best customers. We didn't appeal to as many folks as I had wanted, but still, THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!! Our $100,000 champion could come out of Orlando just like it could come out of NY, LV or CHI.

And Orlando's field looks mighty tough with a higher percentage of returning NFFC vets than quite possibly any other city. Good luck all and may the best teams win.
[/QUOTE]I would say one of these three. In no order.
Dallas,Atlanta or New Orleans.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:04 am

Originally posted by Derek Anderson:
Greg,

Private Message me about the place in New Orleans. I can give you the scoop. Also, despite Katrina, the concern over having an event in N.O. during hurricane season is overblown. You are already at a place as or more likely to deal with a hurricane if you stay in Florida. Finally, Harrah's does have its own hotel. Since they enjoy hosting in Las VEgas, maybe you can use that connection for New Orleans.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson Yeah, we'll talk in Las Vegas. It's a place on Bourbon Street, but more details coming later. I've been to the Harrah's there, but I don't know what kind of meeting room space it has. I'll look into it.

Agreed, the weather in Florida is just as unpredictable in August as it is in New Orleans. If we choose to stay down there, New Orleans is as good as Orlando. But the key is to get 3-4 leagues at a minimum wherever we decide to go.

Atlanta and Dallas are options as well. We want a fun destination but one that can also bring people to the event.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

trueblue

Post by trueblue » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:11 am

this may sound completely off the wall, has anybody looked at Tunica, Mississippi. you got everything you can get in Vegas, except for the shows. gambling is great, golf is great. just an idea.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 am

I will commit right now to NO for 2009. Consider me signed up for both mains and that will not change this time.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King