78. LaMont Jordan
79. Vernon Davis
80. Kevin Jones
81. Todd Heap
82. Chris Cooley
83. Vincent Jackson
84. Kellen Winslow

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

williamhare

NFFC Satellite League Results

Post by williamhare » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:44 am

The run on TE'S seems to begin at the end of 5th round of nearly every mock I've seen. Usually it
ends quickly (by early 7th).

Why does Plaxico remain popular? Not practicing and now he's going before Driver!?!?
HMan83

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
My decision to go with 3RR was based on past results in the NFFC over the last three years...Since 2004 NFFC season was OVERWHELMINGLY successful for the bottom and middle slots and not very much for the top 3. [/QUOTE]Facts are extremely important in any argument and this statement here REALLY bothers me. In 2004, we did not allow wild card spots in the Championship Round, so only the top 2 teams in each of our 16 leagues advanced to the $100,000 battle. Of the 32 teams that made it that year, meaning they won the $5,000 h2h title or the $2,500 for second place (most total points), they came from the following draft spots:
1st pick - 2
2nd - 4
3rd - 3
4th - 2
5th - 1
6th - 3
7th - 3
8th - 4
9th - 0
10th - 0
11th - 2
12th - 2
13th - 4
14th - 2

Our regular season champion (TEAM NEW) dominated from the 13th spot that year and our overall champion (Gekko) also drafted from the 13th spot. But as you can see, no area of the draft in 2004 OVERWHELMINGLY dominated as Nag insinuated. It was spread across the board and I was relieved. Now in 2005, the top spots excelled and last year they excelled again.

I don't mind people doubting the benefits of 3RR and if we had 3RR in 2004 it's possible that 18 of the top 32 spots would have been from the bottom of the draft. Well, in 2006 without 3RR it was 18 of the top 32 spots from the top of the draft. So let's give 3RR a chance and go from there. But please let's keep the FACTS straight about the argument.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:12 am

For what it's worth, I think 3rr has been a succes for the perception part.

Now, we just need to wait until the end of the season to see if it was a success with the actual results. (PS- when tomlinson gets hurt, please don't use that as the reason 3RR was successful). Thanks
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:23 am

I THINK 3RR IS A GREAT SYSTEM FOR 2007. HOWEVER IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW THE TALENT LEVEL GOES IN THE FUTURE YEARS. LIKE IN 2003 WHEN IT WAS A TOSSUP WITH THE TOP FIVE (R. WILLIAMS, L.T.2, HOLMES, PORTIS, AND FAULK) NOW IF YOU USE 3RR THAT YEAR THE TEAM PICKING FIVE WOULD HAVE THE BEST ADVANTAGE BECAUSE THE 5 PICK WAS JUST AS VALUABLE AS THE 1ST. EVEN IF YOU TAKE LAST YEAR WITH L.T. L.J. AND SHAUN. GRANTED SHAUN GOT HURT BUT THESE PICKS WERE INTERCHANGABLE ACROSS THE BOARD. IN THIS CASE WITH 3RR I WOULD HAVE LOVED THE THREE PICK BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE BEEN GETTING JUST AS MUCH OF A QUALITY PLAYER AS ONE. SO I THINK THE TALENT LEVEL HAS TO DETERMINE IF 3RR SHOULD BE USED AND THIS IS A YEAR IT SHOULD BUT FOR THE FUTURE WHO KNOWS.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:09 am

What is being missed by the 3RR naysayers, especially Nag', is that fantasy production follows very predictable patterns, only the names of the players are unknown.

A "fair" game is one in which anybody joining has an equal chance at winning. What that means is that if you knew ahead of time the season end results, everybody drafting would pick the optimum player and the results would be almost a tie. The performance curves, however, would not yield that result. The difference in scoring decreases as you go deeper into the draft. The first player to draft would win every time.

Okay, obviously we don't know the identity of RB1 for sure as any player can get injured, or have an off year or have his line break down, etc. But the pure mathematics of fantasy football is that the number 1 pick has an advantage the must be overcome by other players' greater luck or skill. If all players were equally lucky and equally skilled, number 1 would win, particularly in traditional serpentine drafts. It's not a great feeling to enter a draft knowing you are behind before you start and have to "catch up".

Greg's 3RR attempts to mitigate that edge and provide a level start. It goes a long way to doing that. A true 3RR, i.e. 1,14,14,14,1,14 (same pattern as normal serpentine except round 3 is reversed) is the best leveler but you guys would scream way too loud.

At this point in time 3RS provides the NFFC with a real competitive edge over WCOFF. It's one reason NFFC will fill it's projected event target and capture many who previously were on the sidelines.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:30 am

I AGREE JERSEY HOWEVER WHEN THE TOP PLAYERS HAVE LESS OF A GAP BETWEEN THEM WILL 3RR HURT DRAFTS? LIKE I STATED BEFORE 2007 IS A GREAT YEAR FOR IT BUT HOW CAN WE DETERMINE AS GROUP THAT IS IT A SOLUTION FOR THE LONG TERM.

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:00 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
For what it's worth, I think 3rr has been a succes for the perception part.

Now, we just need to wait until the end of the season to see if it was a success with the actual results. (PS- when tomlinson gets hurt, please don't use that as the reason 3RR was successful). Thanks Very well said. I'll add:

IF Tomlinson were...(I cant go there) so lets just say he were for some reason unavailable)
Would Michael turner be the new #1? or would it be Steven Jackson, and as a heads up before anyone answers: Steven Jackson was NOT the #2 RB in NFFC points in 2006, it was Larry Johnson.

Without LT2, this 3RR argument is blown up.

Greg, you keep saying solid teams and balance, but that is your opinion, my problem is you state is near to fact. Including the recent article I read where you argue 3RR is the next logical change to Fantasy Football.

I'm saying that with any kind of medicore year at the top spots, 3RR is going to have a negative impact.

Bring it on...the draft that is. Time for the talking to die and the playing to start.

3'

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:07 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
I AGREE JERSEY HOWEVER WHEN THE TOP PLAYERS HAVE LESS OF A GAP BETWEEN THEM WILL 3RR HURT DRAFTS? LIKE I STATED BEFORE 2007 IS A GREAT YEAR FOR IT BUT HOW CAN WE DETERMINE AS GROUP THAT IS IT A SOLUTION FOR THE LONG TERM. The beauty of this, Ormond, is that if the back end benefits too much, with KDS you have a chance to request that area next year. Again, I think the combination of KDS/3RR makes this work, not just KDS alone as we found out and not just 3RR alone. The combination gives owners more of what they want and for $1300 is that asking too much from a game provider?

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:12 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
I AGREE JERSEY HOWEVER WHEN THE TOP PLAYERS HAVE LESS OF A GAP BETWEEN THEM WILL 3RR HURT DRAFTS? LIKE I STATED BEFORE 2007 IS A GREAT YEAR FOR IT BUT HOW CAN WE DETERMINE AS GROUP THAT IS IT A SOLUTION FOR THE LONG TERM. The beauty of this, Ormond, is that if the back end benefits too much, with KDS you have a chance to request that area next year. Again, I think the combination of KDS/3RR makes this work, not just KDS alone as we found out and not just 3RR alone. The combination gives owners more of what they want and for $1300 is that asking too much from a game provider? [/QUOTE]GREAT POINT GREG I NEVER TOOK KDS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN I MADE THAT STATEMENT.