Chris Johnson!!!

renman

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by renman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:48 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
I think some people may be under estimating one thing.... It is a new offensive system with new terminology and new responsibilities for the RB position. I know everyone has visions of his 75 yard TD runs where no one touches him... I would temper expectations for a while because the lock out combined with his hold out will result in him having a lot of catching up to do get on the same page with his new offense and his responsibilities with blitz pick ups and his roll as a receiver.

Unless the system is very simple for the RB, he will need time. Over-thinking this perhaps. I see your point but Hasselbeck is the one having to learn all the new terminology. CJ will be just fine.
[/QUOTE]Keep in mind, I didn't say he would be a bust or dead. My point was an add on to what Tom said about how hold outs usually get hurt or underproduce.

I said he may need some time, thats all. The rookies that can step in and produce generally have OTA's, a full training camp and the pre season to get comfortable with their responsibilities.

All I am saying is temper expectations, specifically for the first few weeks. I certainly would draft him in the right spot.

[ August 31, 2011, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

bald is beautiful

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
It is. :D

I'm kicking myself for not taking him in the FBG draft the other night. He went one pick after me (sixth). Should've rolled the dice. That kind of talent is worth it. As Brent Grooms would say "No Balls, No Babies".

Greg Ambrosius

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 am

Originally posted by Daren E:
Yes, this is an excellent argument against the high stakes drafts being held on many different days over a couple of weeks for the same contest. It's not an equal playing field for the early leagues vs the late ones. In my opinion it just introduces an element of luck in "predicting" when a holdout will end over the skill of predicting a player's worth as a fantasy player to your team. Daren E I think there is a good argument against doing a similar contest on multiple days even in multiple weeks and I don't disagree with you Daren. As you know, for the first six years we never held an NFFC Main Event other than simultaneously in each location. I hated to stagger times even for a few minutes. So we didn't do it. But the market has changed and competition has shown that multiple times can benefit the players and the contests.

But beyond that, I'll just say that whenever 12 or 14 owners sit down to draft, they all still have the same amount of information on every player, they each have to make the same tough decisions on every player, they still have to use their skills as fantasy players against 11 or 13 other skilled fantasy players and they still have to make that call on whether to draft Foster, CJ or any other player in question. And each new day presents new dilemmas.

So it is the same for every owner in every league. Could CJ fall to folks earlier where he doesn't fall to folks later? Sure, but remember folks felt first weekend drafters were at a disadvantage before. Now could they be at an advantage? Could be. But I think every draft will be different and no single owner benefits over others.

Next year I think most of us will agree to draft the weekend of the NFL opener. The second weekend will likely be our focus in 2012 among all three cities and our Main Events won't be the way they are this year. I have an idea of how I want to do everything next year, but for now realize that it won't be exactly like this year.

Good luck all and I know that no matter when you draft every decision will be made carefully.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 am

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
It is. :D

I'm kicking myself for not taking him in the FBG draft the other night. He went one pick after me (sixth). Should've rolled the dice. That kind of talent is worth it. As Brent Grooms would say "No Balls, No Babies".
[/QUOTE]The fact I took Antonio Gates in the third round of the same draft showed A LOT of stones on my part in my opinion. :D I hate taking TEs that early - even in that format. And especially this season with so much depth and talent available, I'm not sure that it's worth investing a top pick in a TE. But I figured I'd roll the dice and give it a shot.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

rkulaski

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by rkulaski » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
I think some people may be under estimating one thing.... It is a new offensive system with new terminology and new responsibilities for the RB position. I know everyone has visions of his 75 yard TD runs where no one touches him... I would temper expectations for a while because the lock out combined with his hold out will result in him having a lot of catching up to do get on the same page with his new offense and his responsibilities with blitz pick ups and his roll as a receiver.

Unless the system is very simple for the RB, he will need time. Over-thinking this perhaps. I see your point but Hasselbeck is the one having to learn all the new terminology. CJ will be just fine.
[/QUOTE]Keep in mind, I didn't say he would be a bust or dead. My point was an add on to what Tom said about how hold outs usually get hurt or underproduce.

I said he may need some time, thats all. The rookies that can step in and produce generally have OTA's, a full training camp and the pre season to get comfortable with their responsibilities.

All I am saying is temper expectations, specifically for the first few weeks. I certainly would draft him in the right spot.
[/QUOTE]Yes, rookies are more productive with a full camp but CJ's not a rookie. The offensive system and terminology, while somewhat different with Munchak, will not be completely foreign for him. Agree with you that, assuming he plays week 1, he could start off slowly, but do you drop him below McCoy or any of the top 4 WRs because you're concerned with a slow start in week 1 or even week 2? As far as worrying more about injury from the holdout, I do worry about CJ getting hurt but not due to holding out... it's just because he's a smaller back and his workload should be fairly heavy again this season.

David U. Kennedy

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by David U. Kennedy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 am

His holdout doesnt effect my feeling on drafting him this year. Tomlinson never carried the rock in preseason. I just happen to have the 4th pick in a draft tommarow. HMMMMMMM!!!

The Franchise

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by The Franchise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:22 am

Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
St. Louis Rams v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Fantasy football players want to see Texans running back Arian Foster get healthy, only because they care about their fantasy football teams. Other fantasy football players want to see Titans running back Chris Johnson get his rear end back to the team for the same reason.

And some of them apparently are giving Johnson an earful via Twitter. And Johnson doesn’t like it.

“Can these fake Titan fans STFU on my timeline I don’t have a regular job so don’t compare me to you and I can care less if uthink I’m greedy,” Johnson said via Twitter.

Johnson’s decision to lash out comes at a time when there are indications that the Titans will sweeten their offer for Johnson, but not to a level of sweetness that he desires.

Speaking of sweetness, can anyone envision Walter Payton telling fans, fake or real, to “STFU”?

C’mon, Chris. Fake and real fans pay the high salary you’re trying to get. Don’t bite the hands that help feed you.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

particra

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by particra » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 am

3rd rounder at this point

renman

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by renman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
[quote]Yes, rookies are more productive with a full camp but CJ's not a rookie. The offensive system and terminology, while somewhat different with Munchak, will not be completely foreign for him. Agree with you that, assuming he plays week 1, he could start off slowly, but do you drop him below McCoy or any of the top 4 WRs because you're concerned with a slow start in week 1 or even week 2? As far as worrying more about injury from the holdout, I do worry about CJ getting hurt but not due to holding out... it's just because he's a smaller back and his workload should be fairly heavy again this season. [/QB]I am still trying to decide where Chris Johnson is valued. I am not sure to be honest. I am not one who really tries to predict injuries so even though there is a history of hold out guys getting hurt, to me it is all about drafting for potential and it is tough to pass on great talent thinking he might get hurt.

My biggest problems are how he is a player that depends on the huge play. He isn't a sustaining runner. I saw some things last year that concerned me about his comfort really hitting the hole. To me, he might be a mid to late 1st rounder.

RiFF

Chris Johnson!!!

Post by RiFF » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 am

Let's see; Tennessee has a new HC, who fired the old OC and hired C Palmer who is installing a new offensive scheme and terminology; Hasselbeck is the new QB and they have a rookie backup; CJ2K has had almost 800 touches over the last 2 years (768); CJ2K hasn't participated in any OTA'S, minicamps or TC to learn the new offensive system and work with the new QB's; CJ2K and Tennessee still haven't agreed to a new contract; CJ2K is a "superlative talent" . Yep.....sounds like a top 4 or 5 pick to me. :rolleyes: