AFFL and Question to the NFFC

LFW

Post by LFW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:27 am

From Greg "First of all, the industry can't afford to just have $475,000 taken out of it."

That is a HUGE loss to the fantasy industry...nearly half a million dollars that isn't available to be played next season. This loss will be spread out between companies so not devastating but it'll surely hurt.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm

I have to say I have always thought about joining the AFFL and other high stakes contest 5 years ago and went with the NFFC. Talked with Billy Waz this year about getting into the AFFL.

Thank God I didn't. It's tuff to trust people out here, It really is. The home town local leagues are even worst. Always have to worry about cheaters and thiefs And bull $hit Trades.

Trust is huge. I talk to so many people about Football and Fantasy and after 4 years of playing in the NFFC and Winning something 4 years in a row, People still think my check won't come at the end of the season.

I hope all you guys that are owed money make out all right. This is why I will keep my money right here in the NFFC.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Same here, Johnny...

I researched quite a bit before jumping into WCOFF...and did the same with the NFFC/NFBC.

The Big Kahuna or whatever was getting bad press back then...and I didn't want any fear of not being paid...so I went with the ones who had established at least a one year reputation...and the message boards gave good word of mouth.

When you get over 100 people on a MB...the chances of a few sharing a bad experience is quite helpful in making a $2000 or so investment.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

da bears

Post by da bears » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
If I was owed a significant amount of money, I would have already contacted my attorney. No F'ing around when it comes to stuff like this. Agreed. Have to figure that at the very least the 100K and 75K winners have done that already.

Very sad situation but not an unexpected one as other contests try to catch up with the WCOFF and the NFFC for a share of the fantasy football high stakes industry.

I fear this won't be the last case, and I will not be playing or even consider playing in any other high stakes contests except the NFFC and WCOFF for the foreseeable future.

[ February 25, 2008, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
This is what you will find on the AFFL homepage:

2008 Entry Fees and Grand Prizes

Platinum Entry - $1200 through June 1st, then $1350
Grand Prize $100,000 or more

Gold Entry - $500 through June 1st, then $600; Grand Prize $75,000

Silver Entry - $150 through June 1st, then $185; Grand Prize $40,000

Bronze Entry - $100 through June 1st, then $125; Grand Prize $25,000

Copper Entry - $35; Grand Prize $10,000

AFFLAC Entry - $10; Prizes TBD

Eliminator Entry - $10; Prizes TBD

Back Door Exit - $475,000

*All contests subject to change before March 1st when official rules are released.

Just wrong. WRONG.
slight mod for you king

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:34 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
In 1999, we started the Fantasy Sports Players Association to protect fantasy players who were getting ripped off by our industry partners. The Replica Corporation had just gone bankrupt and a lot of players were out tens of thousands of dollars. Twelve of the biggest companies in the industry formed the FSPA to protect the industry and to promote the awareness of fantasy sports. Through the years, we became the FSTA as the need to protect the consumer lessened. Well, we're needed again as this is a bad one. Greg, the AFFL website has the FSTA logo on its homepage. I believe they are/were a member. To me, this is a black eye for the FSTA as well.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:
Back Door Exit - $475,000I know we joke about it, but I truly feel bad for all of the AFFL "winners". Can you imagine the feeling of winning $100,000, only to find out two months later that you're probably never going to see a penny of it?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:54 pm

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
Back Door Exit - $475,000I know we joke about it, but I truly feel bad for all of the AFFL "winners". Can you imagine the feeling of winning $100,000, only to find out two months later that you're probably never going to see a penny of it? [/QUOTE]Good point Glenn. I know we've discussed money or fame...Which is more important in fantasy sports. If I won the Main Event, I'd much rather have Greg forget to put my pic in the NFFC magazine and have noone know what I look like, than be told that my 100K isn't there.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Back Door Exit - $475,000I know we joke about it, but I truly feel bad for all of the AFFL "winners". Can you imagine the feeling of winning $100,000, only to find out two months later that you're probably never going to see a penny of it? [/QUOTE]Sickening. The monetary loss is obvious and off the charts but the emotional investment took a big hit too. All that hoopla winning generated had to be reeled back in and who knows if it'll be cast out with the same exuberance again ?

LFW

Post by LFW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Back Door Exit - $475,000I know we joke about it, but I truly feel bad for all of the AFFL "winners". Can you imagine the feeling of winning $100,000, only to find out two months later that you're probably never going to see a penny of it? [/QUOTE]Good point Glenn. I know we've discussed money or fame...Which is more important in fantasy sports. If I won the Main Event, I'd much rather have Greg forget to put my pic in the NFFC magazine and have noone know what I look like, than be told that my 100K isn't there.
[/QUOTE]This brings up the question of fame....is a guy who won 100,000 but didn't get paid still really THAT kind of a champion? He won 100K but the contest certainly couldn't support paying 100K. I think many would agree Some grand prizes are disproportionate to the accomplishment but in this case it was really out of whack. Reminds me of that 1 Million Dollar fishing prize Wal Mart is sponsering...is the future winner of that 1 million the greatest fantasy player because Wal Mart has deep pockets? I'd say no...but money talks loudly to some.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!