Titans-Patriots

chriseibl

Titans-Patriots

Post by chriseibl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:15 am

I agree, this is entertainment. If this is high school that's one thing but the few players getting paid millions of dollars (and deservedly so in my opinion) can handle the shame that comes with doing their jobs so poorly for the benefit of all the paying customers who came to see their team play football, not play nice.

Now, while the patriots were under no obligation to play conservative in my opinion... i am with Billy in thinking it's somehwat crazy to risk the health of your key guys when the game is secured. Isn't this the same Moss/Welker tandem that was incredibly banged up just two weeks ago? I think part of why they left everyone in is there's no better way to build Brady's confidence back up than a game like that.

[ October 19, 2009, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: chriseibl ]

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:20 am

Just a thought.

A no hitter in baseball!

Awesome accomplishment or just bad sportsmanship if you have a big lead?

Thought so.
Hakuna Matata!

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:29 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Just a thought.

A no hitter in baseball!

Thought so. Poor comparison IMO Mike. I'd say a better comparison is bunting with an 8 run lead or stealing bases with an 8 run lead as a better example.

But carry on.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Raiders

Titans-Patriots

Post by Raiders » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:35 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Just a thought.

A no hitter in baseball!

Thought so. Poor comparison IMO Mike. I'd say a better comparison is bunting with an 8 run lead or stealing bases with an 8 run lead as a better example.

But carry on.
[/QUOTE]What about bunting when the Pitcher has a no hitter? Can anyone answer which Pitcher got upset about that? :D

chriseibl

Titans-Patriots

Post by chriseibl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 am

But the guy stealing 2nd is coming off of a terrible running injury and has been afraid to steal bases the last 5 weeks. He only started remembering how to steal early in that same game and was running very fast to the crowd's delight.

Am I going too far with that?

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:38 am

This isn't about putting kickers in at QB or running gimmicks like that.

This is about what every single NFL team has done for as long as I can remember watching NFL football in situations like this. When the game gets out of hand, they call off the dogs, run conservative clock burning plays, and get off the field. They do it within the framework of normal offense. It happens all the time.

This is specifically about going shotgun, spreading it out 3 or 4 wide.. with 1:16 on the clock with a 38-0 lead against a winless dead team, with a dead offense and no ability to come back, in a blizzard and franitcally throwing it down the field to ram in another TD. Then to make it worse the starters come out and do it again to start the 3rd quarter.

Players worried about stats more than wins do that kind of thing. Low class teams and organizations do that kind of thing... Can anyone name another team who has done this kind of thing in the last 15 years?

I am not asking someone to go back and look at blowouts from the last 20 years. I am talking about finding examples of college football type running up of scores like the Pats did yesterday and repeatedly in 2007.

I can't think of one example.

Hey, I respect that many fans here like when teams run up the score and do not believe sportsmanship should be part of the game. I respect that opinion even if I do not agree with it. Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion?

[ October 19, 2009, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Raiders

Titans-Patriots

Post by Raiders » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:49 am

I am not asking someone to go back and look at blowouts from the last 20 years. I am talking about finding examples of college football type running up of scores like the Pats did yesterday and repeatedly in 2007.

College Houston vs. SMU 11 Td throw by the QB and I think Houston won 105-0. Ok minus that game. :D

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion? You can have that opinion. But since you asked. I do not respect it because it is a poor one that only looks at 1/2 the picture.

I couldn't agree with you more that sportsmanship is important and should be part of the contest.

IMHO ... playing at less than your best at the professional level is the disrespectful and unsportsmanlike act. Do you really think a professional athlete wants the other team to only give 50%?

If you do ... you just will not understand my point of view. But I am OK with it and don't need your permission to have it.

Mike
Hakuna Matata!

ultimatefs

Titans-Patriots

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:58 am

Originally posted by Renman:
This isn't about putting kickers in at QB or running gimmicks like that.

This is about what every single NFL team has done for as long as I can remember watching NFL football in situations like this. When the game gets out of hand, they call off the dogs, run conservative clock burning plays, and get off the field. They do it within the framework of normal offense. It happens all the time.

This is specifically about going shotgun, spreading it out 3 or 4 wide.. with 1:16 on the clock with a 38-0 lead against a winless dead team, with a dead offense and no ability to come back, in a blizzard and franitcally throwing it down the field to ram in another TD. Then to make it worse the starters come out and do it again to start the 3rd quarter.

Players worried about stats more than wins do that kind of thing. Low class teams and organizations do that kind of thing... Can anyone name another team who has done this kind of thing in the last 15 years?

I can't think of one example.

Hey, I respect that many fans here like when teams run up the score and do not believe sportsmanship should be part of the game. I respect that opinion even if I do not agree with it. Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion? So because the Titans lay it down, the paying customers, sitting through a SNOW STORM, are suppose to get MORE than a half of football game of running out the clock?

To appease whom? Guys like you?

No wonder Bilicek has the attitude he has ;) :D

I'm off to the Chargers game. Can't wait for more pussyfying of America comments when I get back :D
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am

If you guys are truly worried about the paying fans, why aren't you here bashing teams in the pre-season for pulling their starters? I pay the same price for a ticket in the pre-season as the regular season. Yet, I get cheated in the pre-season.

Point is, the owners, coaches, and players could give a crap less about the fans. This is about trying to make the fans happy.

Running up the score is classless IMO.

In other's opinions, it is doing their job.

Whichever side you're on there is no need to go to the quote above. Again, IMO.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.