Titans-Patriots

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
Can't wait for more pussyfying of America comments when I get back :D :D :D My buddy coined the word "pussification". Feel free to use it ... it works well.

Who wants to play a pro "anything" and get their "B" game. Is not that the very definition of disrespect?
Hakuna Matata!

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 am

If I'm a fan of a team that is running up the score, I want them to put in their backups so that they minimize the risk of injury. Plus it give the backups time to improve their own play.

The Patriots running up the score late into the game risks the rest of their season if a serious injury occurs.

If they want to do that, that's on them. As a fan, I don't like it, but if there is a potential gain in it for my team, then I'm all for it.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

BillyWaz

Titans-Patriots

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
This isn't about putting kickers in at QB or running gimmicks like that.

This is about what every single NFL team has done for as long as I can remember watching NFL football in situations like this. When the game gets out of hand, they call off the dogs, run conservative clock burning plays, and get off the field. They do it within the framework of normal offense. It happens all the time.

This is specifically about going shotgun, spreading it out 3 or 4 wide.. with 1:16 on the clock with a 38-0 lead against a winless dead team, with a dead offense and no ability to come back, in a blizzard and franitcally throwing it down the field to ram in another TD. Then to make it worse the starters come out and do it again to start the 3rd quarter.

Players worried about stats more than wins do that kind of thing. Low class teams and organizations do that kind of thing... Can anyone name another team who has done this kind of thing in the last 15 years?

I am not asking someone to go back and look at blowouts from the last 20 years. I am talking about finding examples of college football type running up of scores like the Pats did yesterday and repeatedly in 2007.

I can't think of one example.

Hey, I respect that many fans here like when teams run up the score and do not believe sportsmanship should be part of the game. I respect that opinion even if I do not agree with it. Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion? I'm off to the Chargers game. Can't wait for more pussyfying of America comments when I get back :D
[/QUOTE]pussyfying....didn't find it in Websters, but great word! :D

BillyWaz

Titans-Patriots

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
If you guys are truly worried about the paying fans, why aren't you here bashing teams in the pre-season for pulling their starters? I pay the same price for a ticket in the pre-season as the regular season. Yet, I get cheated in the pre-season.
As a season ticket holder, I agree Russ. it sucks to pay full price for those tickets.

However the preseason is meant to see WHO is going to make your roster also. Gotta pull your starters to see who is going to be on special teams. ;)

[ October 19, 2009, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

chriseibl

Titans-Patriots

Post by chriseibl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 am

You know what you're getting in a pre-season game too, you don't go to the 1st game of the preseason expecting peyton manning to play in the 2nd quarter.. And even though there are backups in, there are teams playing football to score, not drain clock.

I am for the fans getting what they paid for. And I see why they have to pay for the pre-season games as well, as we all know that's really just part of the price of going to regular season games. I'm not against the NFL charging whatever they want, they are a business and their goal is to make profit... but that's a whole different argument.

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
If I'm a fan of a team that is running up the score, I want them to put in their backups so that they minimize the risk of injury. Plus it give the backups time to improve their own play.

The Patriots running up the score late into the game risks the rest of their season if a serious injury occurs.
I am all for this too. I think NE pulled Brady in the 3rd Qtr. I would absolutely play the backups and they would play at 100%. As a coach ... I would be more conservative ... But I would not abuse my team and let the other line know that we are running every play so they could smother my backup players.

Preseason is different ... because you know it's a preseason game and know that it's a glorified practice.
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43 am

Swiped this from another message Board!

New NFL Mercy Rule
------------------------------
At the request of every NFL coach not named Bill Belichick, and in response
to the many emails from fans, (especially the real whiny ones), the NFL has
adopted a new "mercy rule" that will be instituted next week for the
remainder of the season. In honor of the two coaches having the most to do
with demanding this new policy, the rule will be called the Dungy And
Mangini "Belichick And Brady Impositions to Equalize Scoring" rule, (or the
D.A.M. B.A.B.I.E.S. rule for short)

Beginning in Week 9:

1. Any team that hosts the Patriots gets spotted 9 points before the opening
kickoff
2. Any team that travels to Foxboro to play the Patriots gets spotted 14
points before the opening kickoff
3. If, (actually When) the Patriots build a 24 point lead, at any point in
the game, the opposing team will:
--a. Get the ball at the Pats 35 yard line and have 10 plays to try to
score, (FG or TD)
-----(i) If they fail to score, the ball will move back to the 35 yard line
and they will get a fresh set of 10 plays
-----(ii) If the Patriots Defense scores, (INT/FUM return) during the 10
plays, the score will be immediately nullified and the down replayed
-----(iii) If the team does score, they will kick off to the Patriots and
play will continue as normal, (until the lead goes above 24 again).
4. After Tom Brady throws his third TD pass, a new ball will be used
whenever the Patriots go on offense
--a. The ball will be slightly bigger and weighted heavier at one end, (so a
deep spiral will be next to impossible to throw)
5. After Randy Moss, (or ANY Patriots receiver), catches their second TD, or
goes over 100 yards receiving they will
--a. be forced to play the reminder of the game with Crisco Oil on their
hands
6. After any Patriot running back scores his second rushing TD, or rushes
for more than 100 yards they will
--a. be required to play the remainder of the game with shoes that weigh 10
lbs... each
7. If all else fails, the 2nd string or Practice Squad will be called in to
finish the game.
8. If the Patriots are up by 35 points at any point of the game, the game is
automatically declared....over.
9. Other ways games will automatically be over against the Patriots:
--a. Teams lose their starting QB, WR, or RB due to injury or ineptness
--b. If a CB AND FS (or SS) are beaten more than 2x on passes thrown to
Randy Moss while providing what they thouhgt was double coverage.
--c. Forget to cover Wes Welker or Mike Vrabel and they score.
--d. let a hole open up like the Red Sea wide to let Brady run thru and
score 2x.
10. If any teams get blown out like the Redskins any more this season
automatically will get a Patriots draft pick to be detremined by thier
overall record at the end of the season.
Hakuna Matata!

chriseibl

Titans-Patriots

Post by chriseibl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 am

You know what you're getting in a pre-season game too, you don't go to the 1st game of the preseason expecting peyton manning to play in the 2nd quarter.. And even though there are backups in, there are teams playing football to score, not drain clock.

I am for the fans getting what they paid for. And I see why they have to pay for the pre-season games as well, as we all know that's really just part of the price of going to regular season games. I'm not against the NFL charging whatever they want, they are a business and their goal is to make profit... but that's a whole different argument.

rkulaski

Titans-Patriots

Post by rkulaski » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
rkulaski,

If trying to score isn't viewed as disrespectful or poor sportsmanship in circumstances like this why was the phrase "running up the score" ever invented?

If this wasn't running up the score, what would be? Renman,

You'll have to re-read my last post. I'm NOT denying that the Pats were running up the score. My point is that it does NOT bother me. And I believe I ask the question... SO WHAT if they run up the score? I think that's one area, especially in pro sports that's so overrated. If I'm the Titans' coach, player, or fan, I do NOT want the other team to show mercy on us by pulling the starters. Did the Titans quit? Yes, certainly seems like it. But even if I (coach, player, or fan) was down 59-0, I don't believe I would ever quit in a game. On the flip side, I would never want or expect the opposition to stop bringing their best.

Do I fault others for having an issue with Belichek? No, but not for the reasons that you may have. I think you pull the starters at halftime so the starters are healthy for next week and the backups gain experience. Like I said, from the Titans's side of this issue, I don't EXPECT OR WANT the Pats to pull the starters to show any mercy on us so the scoreboard doesn't look as bad in the end. 59-0 or 89-0, makes no difference to me. My mentality is... hey they scored the first 8 times they had the ball but maybe we stop them on the 9th time when they're still bringing their best at us.

In terms of sportsmanship, once again, it's simple. Whether 21-0, or 59-0, if they want to keep trying to score, I don't take it as poor sportmanship on their part as long as there is no taunting, etc (like I said before). Quitting during the game... now that's poor sportmanship.

It's all a simple issue to me and I think we just see things differently. I totally understand what you're saying as we here this every year in football that "so and so ran up the score." I've just never bought into this fully.

[ October 19, 2009, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: rkulaski ]

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:06 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion? You can have that opinion. But since you asked. I do not respect it because it is a poor one that only looks at 1/2 the picture.

I couldn't agree with you more that sportsmanship is important and should be part of the contest.

IMHO ... playing at less than your best at the professional level is the disrespectful and unsportsmanlike act. Do you really think a professional athlete wants the other team to only give 50%?

If you do ... you just will not understand my point of view. But I am OK with it and don't need your permission to have it.

Mike
[/QUOTE]Ugly,

At least you admit you don't respect other peoples opinions...lol

NFL teams (and sports teams in general) have played at "less than their best" for as long as there has been competitive sport. It happens ALL THE TIME in games that get out of hand from peewee football and little league, all the way up to the NFL. NFL teams shift into "don't try to score, just try to keep the clock running" mode ALL THE TIME to get games overwith, limit injuries, and show proper respect to the opposing team that is clearly beaten or even has given up.

[ October 20, 2009, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]