Titans-Patriots

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
Here is a link to an article where Joe Gibbs says it's poor sportsmanship to run up the score.

Gibbs said it's wrong. But what does he know?

Looks like Gibbs felt really bad about beating the Cardinals 61-7 back in the days and is apologizing for it ever since.

Any article of a coach saying he chose not to score because he didn't want to show up the other team and/or one who pulled his starters because he felt if would be poor sportsmanship to let them play? TIA.
[/QUOTE]Did Gibbs quit coaching after that game? Is it possible he felt the same way every game afterwards and pulled his starters or slowed his offense to keep from running up the score?

Would you feel better if I looked up some box scores for you to prove this out? I'm not going to, but am quite sure I could.

You're welcome. ;)
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 am

Actions speak louder than words.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:05 am

Just as an FYI, there have been close to 1000 games in professional football since 1920 where the margin of victory was 30 points or higher. That's a lot of bad sportsmen. :rolleyes:
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:08 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
Here is a link to an article where Joe Gibbs says it's poor sportsmanship to run up the score.

Gibbs said it's wrong. But what does he know?

Looks like Gibbs felt really bad about beating the Cardinals 61-7 back in the days and is apologizing for it ever since.

Any article of a coach saying he chose not to score because he didn't want to show up the other team and/or one who pulled his starters because he felt if would be poor sportsmanship to let them play? TIA.
[/QUOTE]Did Gibbs quit coaching after that game? Is it possible he felt the same way every game afterwards and pulled his starters or slowed his offense to keep from running up the score?

Would you feel better if I looked up some box scores for you to prove this out? I'm not going to, but am quite sure I could.

You're welcome. ;)
[/QUOTE]Thanks. If this conversation was about Joe Gibbs, it would've seemed that you have proved your point.

But, its not.
For Players. By Players.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:14 am

Sorry Alex, I misread your intentions with this quote... "Btw, you are aware of the fact that not a single NFL coach that I know of in the last 20 years (and likely longer) has ever said that he made a concerted effort not to score because the game was out of reach or because he was being a good sportsman.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 am

Just as an FYI, there have been close to 1000 games in professional football since 1920 where the margin of victory was 30 points or higher. That's a lot of bad sportsmen. :rolleyes: What % of those 30+ points were scored in the 4th quarter and late in the 4th quarter of those close to 1000 games?

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 am

quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Nag,

You do realize for that last 20 years (and likely longer) every single NFL team has made efforts to NOT SCORE in an effort to run out the clock and or get off the field when a game has gotten out of hand.

You are aware of this right?

The Patriots are the only NFL team I have seen in the last 20 years at times not doing this.

That is my basic point. I wrote:

"As a fan, I expect my team to try to score EVERY TIME THEY HAVE THE BALL, unless game situation dictates otherwise."

i.e. when trying to run out the clock or winding the game down.

Btw, you are aware of the fact that not a single NFL coach that I know of in the last 20 years (and likely longer) has ever said that he made a concerted effort not to score because the game was out of reach or because he was being a good sportsman.

Yet you continue to persist that this is what the NFL teams do.

You are aware of this, right?
[/QUOTE]Nag,

We will agree to disagree. At 38-0 in a blizzard against a winless team with 1:16 left on the clock in the first half, IS a game situation that screams call off the dogs. I believe EVERY SINGLE NFL TEAM (other than the PATS) makes clear efforts to NOT SCORE to the best of their abilities when the game gets out of hand.

As a Steeler fan I have seen my team shift into "We are trying NOT TO SCORE" mode to start the second half of games. NFL teams with big leads regularly try to shorten the game in the late 3rd and early 4th. It is good sportsmanship. I am not sure what sport you have been watching because repeatedly during the 2007 season former NFL coaches commented on how they would not still have their foot on the gas pedal with a 30 point lead in the way the Patriots regularly did.

NFL coaches REGULARLY back off and make clear efforts NOT TO ATTACK and score with the same effort as they did before a game got out of hand.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:22 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Sorry Alex, I misread your intentions with this quote... "Btw, you are aware of the fact that not a single NFL coach that I know of in the last 20 years (and likely longer) has ever said that he made a concerted effort not to score because the game was out of reach or because he was being a good sportsman.

Do I sense a bit of sarcasm where you feel that posting that article about Gibbs was a sufficient response to my request?

I would remind you that Gibbs actually was the one who RAN UP THE SCORE and only feld bad afterwards, when the other coach - his buddy - complained about it.

Still waiting for a quote by a coach who said he didn't want to run up the score or be a bad sportsman.
For Players. By Players.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:24 am

On a side-note,

I mentioned several pages ago this isn't about final scores or blowouts (since I knew someone would try to go back in time to say "hey, look how many games have seen a 30-40 point deficit"...

I am talking about when a team keeps the starters in, spreads the field, and attacks a dead team in a game that is over for the pure sake of running up stats for the starters.

That is what the Patriots have done.

I have no problem with backups coming in, playing hard, and scoring. I have no problem with a team running conservative, clock burning plays that result in scoring.

Blowouts that happen like that are perfectly fine and within the realm of good sportsmanship.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:29 am

Originally posted by Renman:

NFL coaches REGULARLY back off and make clear efforts NOT TO ATTACK and score with the same effort as they did before a game got out of hand. This is not in dispute. You seem to think they do it not to be bad sportsman. I say that's just you projecting your opinion. They do it for many reasons: they don't need to keep running the same complicated plays as earlier, they don't have the same personnel in the game, they are simply trying to run the clock and avoid injury.

The issue is, different coaches approach this differently. There is no rule, written or UNWRITTEN to dictate their actions. There is no "unspoken" law in the NFL about running up the score. YOU can continue to have an opinion that its bad sportsmanship, but it doesn't mean it is, or that the players/coaches who are actually out there agree with this line of thinking.
For Players. By Players.