Titans-Patriots

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 am

Renman, how do you know they were "calling off the dogs"? Did they call a timeout beforehand, grab the mic from the Referee, and state they were going to call off the dogs? Or did they do what was painfully obvious to most?

2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 am

Nag,

I will get the quote that says "running up the score is bad" right after you get the quote that says "running up the score is good and an acceptable thing to do in the NFL.."

The phrase "running up the score" in and of itself specifically speaks to it being bad and in poor form.

Again, other than the Patriots in 2007 and last Sunday, I have seen exactly ZERO TEAMS make clear efforts, with their starters, to spread the field and aggressively attack dead beaten teams for the sole purpose of padding stats.

They are the only one and that is my only point. If you as a fan think that is a good thing, I respect your opinion. I hope you respect my opinion in thinking that is a low class, poor sportsmanship type thing to do.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:37 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
Sorry Alex, I misread your intentions with this quote... "Btw, you are aware of the fact that not a single NFL coach that I know of in the last 20 years (and likely longer) has ever said that he made a concerted effort not to score because the game was out of reach or because he was being a good sportsman.

Do I sense a bit of sarcasm where you feel that posting that article about Gibbs was a sufficient response to my request?

I would remind you that Gibbs actually was the one who RAN UP THE SCORE and only feld bad afterwards, when the other coach - his buddy - complained about it.

Still waiting for a quote by a coach who said he didn't want to run up the score or be a bad sportsman.
[/QUOTE]So, by your own accounts that's 2 coaches who have considered what Gibbs did as running up the score, him and his buddy. ;)
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:40 am

Nag,

That is where we disagree. I believe there IS an unwritten rule about running up the score and the fact ZERO OTHER TEAMS DO IT seems to support my viewpoint.

As I said several posts ago... I am not saying blowouts can't happen. I am talking specifically about starters aggressively attacking a dead team in a game that is over for the sole purpose of padding stats.

Just russ,

lol, I have seen where the Steelers were practically kneeling on it with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:44 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I hope you respect my opinion in thinking that is a low class, poor sportsmanship type thing to do. Of course I respect that opinion. That's YOUR opinion. I'm just telling you that NFL coaches do not make in-game decisions based on sportsmanship and/or trying to avoind running up scores. You NEVER hear anything about that from a coach or players, with the extremely rare case of Joe Gibbs, which is kind of ironic since he was the coach doing the "running up".
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:48 am

Nag,

That is where we disagree. I believe there IS an unwritten rule about running up the score and the fact ZERO OTHER TEAMS DO IT seems to support my viewpoint. So then I ask again, please quote somebody in the NFL - ANYBODY - who speaks about this "unwritten" rule.

TIA.
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:50 am

ZERO OTHER TEAMS DO IT seems to support my viewpoint. No, not zero teams do it, or have done it.
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:58 am

Speaking of the "sportsman" Joe Gibbs, this is a telling boxscore from 1991, two years after he apologized about running up the score on Arizona.

His Redskins were up 35-0 on the Lions and his starting QB - Mark Rypien - was still throwing a TD in the 3rd quarter!

LOL, Gibbs the sportsman. Comical. :D
For Players. By Players.

bobsgym13

Titans-Patriots

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 am

Nag,

I will get the quote that says "running up the score is bad" right after you get the quote that says "running up the score is good and an acceptable thing to do in the NFL.."

The phrase "running up the score" in and of itself specifically speaks to it being bad and in poor form. If you think the team acted classless you say it's 'running up the score'. If you you don't you call it a blowout.

Is 'blowing out' a team acceptable? Of course.

I don't love what the Pats do, but I believe it is fair for them to argue that part of staying sharp and striving for excellence is going all out for 60 minutes.

The level of classiness is in the eye of the beholder.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Speaking of the "sportsman" Joe Gibbs, this is a telling boxscore from 1991, two years after he apologized about running up the score on Arizona.

His Redskins were up 35-0 on the Lions and his starting QB - Mark Rypien - was still throwing a TD in the 3rd quarter!

LOL, Gibbs the sportsman. Comical. :D And then this game , the same year.

Up 42-17 in the 4th quarter, Rypien is firing a 64 yard TD to Art Monk.

LOL!! Gibbs, where's the sportsmanship, man?? :D
For Players. By Players.