Thoughts on the 3RR

BONGIZMO

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:50 pm

I wasn't for 3RR originally and still find it to be an element that is keeping this event small. As much as I love the competition, it would be nice if so many of the talented gamers weren't having to beat up on each other year in and year out in the same leagues.

What set the NFFC apart from all other contests was that as a 14 teamer we were deeper than all others and truly tested the players drafting prowess. All the added complexities did was isolate our contest as one that the harder core gamers could compete in and allowed for the other contests to attract newbies that often went to contests that resembled what they had always known in their local leagues.

Imo leave us at 14, keep the KDS as even newer folks can figure that out, make every catch worth what it should be, a full point and lose 3RR and then let Fanball see what they can do from a marketing perspective. Combined with Greg and Tom's top notch unmatched customer service we can bring new blood into the NFFC.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

pizzatyme

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 pm

As for 3RR keeping this event small, I disagree. I think that has more to do with the 14-team leagues. The success of the Online Championship is a good indication that people will come even with 3RR/KDS.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by renman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 am

As far as I am concerned this isn't a "small event." I believe there are a few reasons our event is "smaller" compared to another event that had a several year head start in developing a fantasy football community. That foundation brings in referrals. I also believe that as fantasy football exploded over the last few years countless events have been popping up that watered things down in the industry. It created a malaise where fantasy football players are not sure where to go and what to play. Add to that a massive downturn in the economy that has hurt a lot of people and you have the ingredients to stagnate or slow steady growth in any kind of high stakes event like this.

I believe our format, rules, league size are positives and not negatives. I have said many times in the past that when the dust settles from this chaotic time in fantasy sports (and football in particular) history, the NFFC will be standing tall as the premier event.

Just one mans opinion.

Gordon Gekko II

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 am

i have the #3 pick in a 12 team event this coming weekend. the event does NOT use 3RR. i feel that i have a significant advantage over the teams sitting at the end of the draft. if i had the 12 slot in a non 3RR event, i woulda puked all over myself a few times when draft slots were announced.

RyanHouston

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by RyanHouston » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:57 am

Renman -- thanks for the kind words. I know we won't let you down in making this event the premier live event out there.

I have to agree with you and everyone else in this thread -- I can understand all sides.

I think King of Queens defined the rationale for why we do 3RR.

There are a lot of studies on why 3RR is the equalizer for fantasy football drafts and while it may be outside of some owners "comfort zone", we aren't trying to find the luckiest fantasy football owner who just simply stumbled upon the NFFC ad, bought a magazine and showed up for draft day. We are trying to make this as competitive as possible.

Be honest -- how many of you have stories of a guy walking into your local draft who doesn't know anything about fantasy football, showed up with Fanball Magazine (shameless plug) and won his/her draft?

How many of them could do that in KDS / 3RR system?

If this is the ONLY reason why NFFC never gets to 4,000 owners -- so be it.

I'll take our chances.
Ryan Houston
Fanball.com
Senior VP Marketing & Business Development
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanhouston

Gordon Gekko II

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:01 am

Originally posted by Ryan E. Houston:
If this is the ONLY reason why NFFC never gets to 4,000 owners -- so be it.
4,000?? I thought we are shooting for 10,000 :D

See ya in Vegas on Thursday :cool:

[ September 07, 2009, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko II ]

gerardsambola

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by gerardsambola » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 am

does anyone fill the draft should be the most important part of fantasy football if so we should get rid of starting line ups
have less draft rounds let all your players play and take the best players with the highest scoresat each postions
for example if you had 4 rbs you would take the 2 with the most points you would do this at all the postions
also i would draft 15 rounds instead of 18 to try to keep more players in the free agent pot
this will make every pick in the draft = your 15 th pick is just as important as the 1st
this is just my thought

Glenneration X

Thoughts on the 3RR

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
i have the #3 pick in a 12 team event this coming weekend. the event does NOT use 3RR. i feel that i have a significant advantage over the teams sitting at the end of the draft. if i had the 12 slot in a non 3RR event, i woulda puked all over myself a few times when draft slots were announced. Ummmmm.....I have the 12-slot in one of my drafts in next weekends coming events. Thanks for making me feel so much better about it than I already did, though I made sure to aim better when I puked and managed to miss hitting myself.

Nice meeting you this weekend Gekko,
Glenn