Titans-Patriots

rkulaski

Titans-Patriots

Post by rkulaski » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Renman,

Why does every team have to be the same? I know you didn't say that, rhetorical question. All the more power to the Patriots! Dare to be different!
If it makes some stuffy guy that thinks all teams should follow a code of ethics that only HE seems to endorse, WAY TO GO PATRIOTS!
You are very good at going mountains on mole hills. Beautifully said. Just because every other team follows what is perceived to be the "proper" way to play the game, doesn't make what the Patriots do (run up the score) unsportsmanlike.
I like that they continue to play hard and continue to go after the other team no matter what the situation.

Also, Renman, I think you assume the Pats "run up the score" to pad stats. (At least, that's what you said in an earlier post). I just don't think they do this.

Rich

ps- even though we see this issue differently, just want to add, I respect your opinion about all this. It's been fun to talk about.

sportsbettingman

Titans-Patriots

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 pm

I spoke with "Coach B" on the phone this week, and he told me to tell everyone he is DEAD SET against padding his running backs stats for more than one quarter, the 4th quarter! ;) :D

He also said to clam up! ;)

He said...and this is a verbatim quote..."When you're in a real dogfight...you may get a little tight and conservative toward the end...making sure you get that "W"...but when it's a blowout...I mean a complete route...as a coach you can relax, and let those kids enjoy themselves...have a little fun...entertain the fans at home...we are in the entertainment industry, you know...those fans pay a lot of money...they don't come to see our punter!"

[ October 22, 2009, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

CC's Desperados

Titans-Patriots

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:12 pm

By the way, the Titans win their next game. When was the last time in the NFL a team lost by 59 points and didn't cover the spread?

I'm guessing the Titans will be a three point favorite against Jacksonville.

King of Queens

Titans-Patriots

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
By the way, the Titans win their next game. When was the last time in the NFL a team lost by 59 points and didn't cover the spread?Since you asked...

The last time a team lost by 59 points was on December 4, 1976, when the Atlanta Falcons lost to the Los Angeles Rams by a score of 59 to 0.

The following week, the Green Bay Packers travelled to Atlanta. As per Pro Football Weekly's December 20, 1976 issue, the Green Bay Packers closed as a 2.5 point road favorite over the Falcons. Final score: Green Bay 24, Atlanta 20.

So to answer your questions, Shawn: the last time a team lost by 59 points in the NFL, they did NOT cover the spread the following week.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:40 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Renman,

Why does every team have to be the same? I know you didn't say that, rhetorical question. All the more power to the Patriots! Dare to be different!
If it makes some stuffy guy that thinks all teams should follow a code of ethics that only HE seems to endorse, WAY TO GO PATRIOTS!
You are very good at going mountains on mole hills. Doughboys,

You are here on page 8 of this thread still arguing with me on the simple UNARGUABLE point I initially made about the Pats being the only team that has shown interest in running up the score to pad stats.

If anyone is making it a mountain out of a molehill it is you and a few others. No one said the Pats have to be like everyone else. I respect that you and a few others like the idea of running up scores. Can't we agree to disagree and end this back and forth?

I simply said that in THIS game situation they did something that no other NFL team in the last 20 years (that I have seen or heard of) would do and they are the only NFL team in the last 20 years (that I can recall) that has been accused repeatedly of running up scores in the way college teams at times have.

I personally find it to be an example of poor sportsmanship/low class, I guess that makes me a bad guy, or a sour grapes guy for not having Brady or Moss on my team, or whatever else I have been accused of for having this opinion.

How dare I come to a public forum message board and express an opinion about fantasy football... :confused:

[ October 23, 2009, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
This thread has been bugging me all week. I think Renman doesn't own any Patriots and feels violated.

So you are on the golf course playing a match, you are up six holes on the turn. Are you wheeling out your 3 iron off the tee on the 595 Yd. par 5 10th hole? You're in command of the match and can coast home to victory right. Are you not trying to make that 10 foot birdie putt just to make your opponent feel better?

The Titans played like $hit in the second quarter. The Patriot's got on an incredible run. They did their job and the Titans failed at theirs. No team is going to claim victory at half time. The Patriots gave their offense one series in the second half. Again the Titans didn't do their job.

You made the point about Arizona. Arizona feels the best chance of winning is with Warner at the helm. He wasn't a 100 % entering the season. The are going to protect him if they can. They pulled him in the 4th quarter.

Don't you think a team would bury their opponent early if they could. Most teams can't. The Patriots had special team in 2007 and they could put teams away early.

If you play half throttle, you have a better chance of getting hurt. You play not to lose...you have already lost.

The Titan players are the only ones who should feel bad because they stole their money last week. cc,

In my opinion, 38-0 in a blizzard against a winless dead team that quit is buried. I am talking specifically about how at 1:16 the Pats played a style of offense that zero other teams in the NFL would have done. This is simply my opinion. I believe they run up scores to pad stats. Many people in the industry were calling them on it in 2007.

I personally believe it is a low class, poor sportsmanship thing to do.

For some reason people here struggle (not saying you, but look at the length of this thread and how many times I have been knocked or questioned for having this opinion) to allow me to have this viewpoint.

botherk

Titans-Patriots

Post by botherk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:29 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Renman,

You are very good at going mountains on mole hills. Doughboys,

You are here on page 8 of this thread still arguing with me on the simple UNARGUABLE point I initially made about the Pats being the only team that has shown interest in running up the score to pad stats.

If anyone is making it a mountain out of a molehill it is you and a few others. No one said the Pats have to be like everyone else. I respect that you and a few others like the idea of running up scores. Can't we agree to disagree and end this back and forth?

I simply said that in THIS game situation they did something that no other NFL team in the last 20 years (that I have seen or heard of) would do and they are the only NFL team in the last 20 years (that I can recall) that has been accused repeatedly of running up scores in the way college teams at times have.

I personally find it to be an example of poor sportsmanship/low class, I guess that makes me a bad guy, or a sour grapes guy for not having Brady or Moss on my team, or whatever else I have been accused of for having this opinion.

How dare I come to a public forum message board and express an opinion about fantasy football... :confused:
[/QUOTE]Renman,

This is my second post of these 8 pages of threads. On the other hand, you have had 21. Perhaps in your zest and quest to have the last word, YOU are the one keeping this thread going?
No, wait, it can't be you, it's never you.
Feel free to state that public opinion, heck, you've done it 21 times already.
Just kidding, in a not kidding sort of way....But, I think there is an unwritten rule on the Boards about more than 20 posts on a single thread, you're running up your posts score...shame, shame.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Quahogs

Titans-Patriots

Post by Quahogs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:40 am

Dough ! LOL... stop running up the LOL's! LOL LOL...

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 am

doughboys,

Why the hostility with the "Oh, no.. its never you"... I am not sure I have ever even seen your username here until this discussion. "what" is never me? You said that like we have been married for 15 years and have this long history of communication issues...lol What are you even talking about? We are on page 8 of people challenging me on my opinion requiring me repeatedly explain myself. I meant to say others were making this a mountain out of a molehill more than me. I made one basic point and shared one personal opinion.

May I have that opinion?

I believe the Pats ran up the score last week and did it a ton in 2007 and there are a LOT of people who agree. I believe it is poor sportmanship and lower class and I believe no other NFL teams do it or have done it for a long time.

You, along with others, believe running up the score is acceptable and maybe even a good thing or cool, or fun to watch, or whatever.

We can agree to disagree.

[ October 23, 2009, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

botherk

Titans-Patriots

Post by botherk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:57 am

Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz