What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 am

Originally posted by 4D:
Simple, let's have Mark post the series of messages that went between him and Alex, unedited and in their entirety. Then people can judge if Alex was over the line. Mark? series of messages??? who said there was a series of messages exchanged???

the bottom line is ALEX CONTACTED ME because of a post i made on someone else's message board. my post didn't single out alex or the ffpc. he said if i wanted to join any ffpc events, he'd first "ask" me to retract my statement, ie, threat. don't confuse the issue 4D.

from the KoQ post, it sounds like alex did something similar to him. i wonder how many other people he has done that to?

i just want to play fantasy football and post on the boards. i don't appreciate a game operator PM'ing me with an ultimatum. alex choose to contact me, not the other way around.

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:20 am

I understand both sides....
but someone should probably lock this thread.... nothing good is going to come out of it now
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 am

We're not going to lock the thread because the topic is the most significant one in our industry in my opinion. So the thread will remain open. However, I agree that whatever transpired between Mark and Alex has run its course here. So let's move on from that. Sound good everyone?

Thanks.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
We're not going to lock the thread because the topic is the most significant one in our industry in my opinion. So the thread will remain open. However, I agree that whatever transpired between Mark and Alex has run its course here. So let's move on from that. Sound good everyone?

Thanks. Sounds good, I just felt that since GG brought an issue into a public forum that was done in PMs we should hear both sides. I can ask Alex for permission to release his PMs, but if you'd rather not I understand.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Thanks. Probably a good call here Tom. I do want to say that I'm in the process of finding out whether not issuing 1099's for "rolled over" money is an accepted business practice and is legal.

If it is, I will retract my opinion.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 am

Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Thanks. Sounds good, I just felt that since GG brought an issue into a public forum that was done in PMs we should hear both sides. I can ask Alex for permission to release his PMs, but if you'd rather not I understand.
[/QUOTE]I don't think that's necessary but I'll repeat my earlier post - if Alex or Dave believe there has been an inaccuracy posted here they are more than welcome to post here to provide clarity. As I said, both are members of this forum and I'll stress again that the purpose of this thread is to provide as many facts and information as possible so people interested in playing in the high-stakes environment are as educated as possible.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 am

There was a snake reference..... = locked thread ?

Isn't that protocol?
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:53 pm

I've battled with Mark on just about every board over this issue, he'll never give up on it. Last year at the end of the NFBC season, we and a few others debated this issue for what seemed like 5000 pages. Honestly, if Alex disagreed with Mark, he probably should have responded on the boards. He would have never changed Mark's mind, but it would have been cleaner and more out in the open.

I've noticed Alex tends to shoot from the hip some. I would guess that it gets him in trouble now and again. He is who he is though. That said, he's never been anything but cool with me and runs a great contest, as do Greg and Tom. I'll be playing both this year, as I have every year since I joined high stakes.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 pm

The first real update from the WCOFF in more than 60 days came today from Jill and surprisingly it was a call for 2011 signups rather than an explanation of 2010 payouts to come. I certainly have a lot of questions after this statement, but first let's just post what was posted on the WCOFF boards earlier today:

On behalf of the World Championship of Fantasy Football, I hope you and your family are preparing to enjoy a wonderful July 4th holiday.

Normally this time of year, we are preparing to release the first round of draft positions for the upcoming World Championship of Fantasy Football Main Event. However the uncertainty around the CBA and the 2011 NFL Season has caused us to modify our typical schedule. Our current plan is to announce the first batch of draft positions on August 5th for all teams registered by July 29th.

Clearly a topic that is top of mind for everyone associated to WCOFF is the status of the transition of ownership of the business. As announced in late April, the WCOFF entered into a period of transitioning the business. Subsequent to this transition we expected to resume the awards distribution process as well as announce any changes for the upcoming season. While it is taking longer than originally expected, our team is still working towards completing this transition.

On a more personal note, I wanted to update everyone on the status of Dustin’s personal health situation. Many of you are aware, Dustin was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma a few weeks ago. Days after being diagnosed, Dustin was in surgery and underwent a complete dissection to remove the tumor and all remaining lymph nodes in his right side. We’re optimistic the cancer has been eradicated and he is on the road to recovery. Dustin and his doctors are currently evaluating further treatment options and I’ll continue to provide updates as things progress. Dustin has received many very kind emails, letters and cards and wanted me to express his gratitude to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Through this process, several other members of our WCOFF community have reached out to share how they too have been touched by cancer. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those of you personally afflicted and / or affected by this terrible disease.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I hope Jill doesn't mind, but I'd have to ask these questions after seeing this statement if I were a player:

1. Is the WCOFF really taking signups and payments before paying out 2010 prize winners? If so, what guarantee do the players have that this money isn't being used to pay off the 2010 winners?

2. Will this "transaction" create enough money to pay off all 2010 WCOFF winners, even those with rollovers who want to cash out that prize instead?

3. If the WCOFF is picking draft spots already in early August, is the WCOFF really going to host its 2011 event with prizes based on the $300,000 grand prize? Are any prize structures being altered with this late start or is this same formula in place no matter how many teams enter in 2011?

4. Was the 2011 WCOFB prize total escrowed? If not, is there a guarantee that those owners can assume that all prizes will be paid on time and in full at season's end?

5. What part of the 2011 prizes are being escrowed? All revenue that comes in? The total prize pool before revenue comes in? Just the grand prize? I think "escrow" is the new buzz word in our industry, but how it's being escrowed is more important than just saying some prizes are escrowed.

I'm surprised more isn't being revealed about the "transaction" or possible change in ownership. Since this is so important to the future of this contest and since lawyers are now allowing this latest statement to be revealed, what more can be revealed about these developments? Is this "transaction" definitely going to be done before August?

Everyone hopes the best for Dustin and his continued recovery. His health and family are foremost. We hope EVERYTHING works out there. And obviously we hope for the best for the WCOFF and all of its players. We hope they all get paid in full and if this "transaction" leads to a 10th season for the WCOFF that is good for our industry. But players should be paid in full before future money comes in and I'd say that for us, the WCOFF or anyone else in this space. I hope it happens.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius