What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

da bears

Post by da bears » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
It appears from posts on the WCOFF message boards today that the proposed deal to buy WCOFF fell through. :eek: Matt, I just don't understand why all of the information is coming from players. It just doesn't make sense that someone from the current ownership group doesn't honestly post what is happening. That's not the responsibility of those looking to acquire these assets. Someone still owns this contest, someone still is responsible for the unpaid prizes and morally someone still owes some answers to the players. Even if they aren't the answers everyone wants to hear, those questions should be answered in some way. I feel bad for everyone affected by this.

But it's time to get some answers and move on one way or another.
[/QUOTE]Agreed Greg. How many high stakes players will quit over this mess??? Like you said this is the last thing we need because of a limited high stakes player pool.

[ August 10, 2011, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 am

I posted this in the chat thread but I'll paste it here too since it's on topic:

Among the many frustrating things about the entire situation with the other event is having participants making posts about what may or may not be happening. Glenn Lowy is a great guy and there's no question he has a huge personal stake at that situation being resolved but he should not be the one making posts about the status of the alleged transaction. Neither should Shawn Childs or Nelson Sousa or anyone else who isn't either currently in charge or part of the alleged new group taking over.

I'm not ripping on those guys for posting what they have been told; just saying that there is no excuse for people in charge to not be making updates. There is FAR too much at stake here for continued silence to be the preferred method of doing business. It's amazing to me that this continues to take place. When Greg and I moved from Fanball to STATS, we posted as much info as often as we could. We couldn't reveal everything obviously but we didn't leave people hanging - and that transaction occurred smack in the middle of NFBC signups. I simply cannot fathom how anyone could believe that ignoring the legitimate demands from players is the proper way to be conducting business.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

particra

Post by particra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am

When things are difficult, some people act like men; others act like pussies.

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
There is FAR too much at stake here for continued silence to be the preferred method of doing business. Tom - what do you want wcoff to say..."sorry folks, there's no money left. Sorry."

that's the most reasonable explanation. i'm guessing they are holding out hope that someone will bail them out. they might have to sell 20 cents on the dollar though

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 am

Originally posted by da bears:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
It appears from posts on the WCOFF message boards today that the proposed deal to buy WCOFF fell through. :eek: Matt, I just don't understand why all of the information is coming from players. It just doesn't make sense that someone from the current ownership group doesn't honestly post what is happening. That's not the responsibility of those looking to acquire these assets. Someone still owns this contest, someone still is responsible for the unpaid prizes and morally someone still owes some answers to the players. Even if they aren't the answers everyone wants to hear, those questions should be answered in some way. I feel bad for everyone affected by this.

But it's time to get some answers and move on one way or another.
[/QUOTE]Agreed Greg. How many high stakes players will quit over this mess??? Like you said this is the last thing we need because of a limited high stakes player pool.
[/QUOTE]This is going to be a HUGE hit for our space if it happens. It's almost inconceivable. This affects hundreds of players in football and baseball and takes out seven figures from this space that last year generated around $6 million in revenue. This is HUGE. Worst of all, though, it kills the TRUST FACTOR no matter what your track record looks like. We now have had FIVE companies default on some or all prize payouts (if this one does) in the last 3-4 years. That affects every contest still standing. We're back to again proving that we can and will pay in full and on time. This space is not going to be the same because of this.

That being said, it's now time to end this s**t. Those of us who are still running legitimate games need to get on board together and make sure this never happens again. It's not that hard to safeguard the prizes and create contests that can fill up and pay the guaranteed grand prizes. I certainly want to take a lead role in making that happen and I think others want to do it too. We HAVE to make this situation better and learn from these latest transgressions against the customers. This is just ridiculous if the prizes are defaulted again. Damn.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
There is FAR too much at stake here for continued silence to be the preferred method of doing business. Tom - what do you want wcoff to say..."sorry folks, there's no money left. Sorry."

that's the most reasonable explanation. i'm guessing they are holding out hope that someone will bail them out. they might have to sell 20 cents on the dollar though
[/QUOTE]Mark, that's absolutely what should be said if it's the truth. People may not like the news they're told but they deserve to be told. Holding past prize winners as well as potential 2011 participants hostage is not the proper way to do business. Yet here we are in ... month six? ... and that's still what is going on.

Greg and I are far from perfect but we have always been willing to stand up and be accountable in good times and bad. Think back to last year's start of the NFBC (or don't since it still makes me queasy). Greg and I took a lot of bullets those first couple of weeks but we were there and took every one of them. That's our responsibility and if we're going to enjoy the pats on the backs when you tell us how great we are, we need to be there when you tell us things aren't the way they should be.

That's how it works. At least, that's how it works when you believe in customer loyalty and personal responsibility.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Greg and I are far from perfect but we have always been willing to stand up and be accountable in good times and bad. 100% agree here. you guys are the best in the business.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:14 am

[/QUOTE]I understand why past winners would take anything on the dollar at this point, but honestly everyone is owed every penny of what they earned last year. Nobody should benefit from the previous management mistakes other than the players. If someone really is serious about buying into this space and making enough profit in future years to pay off all expenses PLUS this investment then they shouldn't make the players bare the brunt of that goal. It's time to pay in full and ASAP. Why else would you invest in this space if you didn't feel it was worth what the debt and future growth expenses are worth?

Nobody knows for sure what will happen, but it's just amazing that silence continues to be the way to move forward. SOMEONE say something for the players to plan accordingly.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

Greg and I are far from perfect but we have always been willing to stand up and be accountable in good times and bad. 100% agree here. you guys are the best in the business.
[/QUOTE]I wasn't fishing for a compliment but thanks. Honestly, though, I just don't think it's that difficult to do the right thing. You may not be embraced but at least you can walk away knowing you were upfront with everyone and treated those you spoke to with the respect and consideration they deserve.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by DoubleG:

[/QUOTE]I understand why past winners would take anything on the dollar at this point, but honestly everyone is owed every penny of what they earned last year. Nobody should benefit from the previous management mistakes other than the players. If someone really is serious about buying into this space and making enough profit in future years to pay off all expenses PLUS this investment then they shouldn't make the players bare the brunt of that goal. It's time to pay in full and ASAP. Why else would you invest in this space if you didn't feel it was worth what the debt and future growth expenses are worth?

Nobody knows for sure what will happen, but it's just amazing that silence continues to be the way to move forward. SOMEONE say something for the players to plan accordingly.
[/QUOTE]my wcoff message board account has been suspended as of this afternoon. you may want to reconsider reinstating me, but more importantly PAYING PEOPLE THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY b4 this goes "scorched earth" type bad for you.