What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 am

The good news is that if you look at the signups that have been generated since Registration went live on Saturday without any announcement of how past winners will be paid, hardly anyone signed up. Less than a handful. So at least people aren't blind to the facts. Signups are still live today even without an announcement, but again it looks like folks aren't falling over themselves for the open spots.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 am

Being that lawyers are bound to get very involved here very shortly I have a question. It's quite apparent that Dustin plans on moving ahead with the draft. Being that he has changed the guaranteed prize amount all those that have their money held hostage would need to be given the option to get out, with a full refund. If not I believe the wcoff would be in violation of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act. How long would it take for someone who wanted out to contact the U.S. District attorney and file a complaint?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 am

I am a practicing litigation attorney on the East Coast. Read the WCOFF release. Reading the entire clause together (not the 1st sentence in isolation), WCOFF is only releasing itself from its own negligence. If you slip on a banana peel at the main event, you can't sue them for negligently failing to maintain a clean draft room.

In this case, you would be suing them for breach of contract (failing to pay you), not negligence. I don't see it as a problem. Even if it was, I agree with the prior post that it may be unconscionable.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 am

And early draft spots are supposed to be released today. Hmmm..... wonder if that will happen???

Why do people put up with such incompetence when there are clearly TWO far superior products out there??? :confused:

[ August 15, 2011, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:31 am

The covenant not to sue/release has no limitation, but yeah, I can't imagine it being enforced.

[ August 15, 2011, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Hells Satans ]

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
So it has no teeth ? Still to the un-litigious out there I'm sure it works as a nice speed bump.
Very WCOFFian. Whether it would actually be enforced depends on the judge (there are good ones and bad ones like everything else in life), but any decent lawyer would be able to make numerous strong arguments as to why it is unenforceable.

My guess is that rhe primary argument would be that this isn't a contract claim; it's a fraudulent inducement claim and you can't disclaim fraud in the making of an agreement because the fraud is antecedent to the actual agreement (and the disclaimer). That's probably a better argument for the baseball guys than the football guys.
[/QUOTE]You can make that claim, but the best remedy you get is most likely your entry fee returned. I believe all the big winners wouldn't get their winnings under this theory. :(

fflmaster

Post by fflmaster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:52 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The good news is that if you look at the signups that have been generated since Registration went live on Saturday without any announcement of how past winners will be paid, hardly anyone signed up. Less than a handful. So at least people aren't blind to the facts. Signups are still live today even without an announcement, but again it looks like folks aren't falling over themselves for the open spots. greg,

how can you tell how many signups a site has?

would love to know how to do this

anyone reading this should consider this the place to play if/when you finally give up on the wcoff this year.

however, i understand what people are going thru over there.

i am in the same boat as others, do i simply use my money in their account (sure don't ever expect it to be in my account anymore) for a league this year or start an expensive legal process and most likely never see any of my money.

i would also have to come up with NEW money that i didn't expect to.

i know most people are posting the only option is to just join one of the leagues that pay is a no-brainer. i agree if you have the EXTRA cash then it sure is, but what about the people that were only able to use the money that was supposed to be paid by the wcoff.

should they just stay away this year and not play? that sucks

this whole thing this year sucks for us that played in the wcoff last year.

i think it is also scary for us fantasy players to see almost half less signups this year then last.

[ August 15, 2011, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: fflmaster ]
its nice to be the master

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:56 am

These guys at WCOFF should be sued for every dollar they have. Let them sell off their assets to pay the deserviing winners. This is textbook stuff in how NOT to run a business, or as Gordon Gekko said in his excellent speech in "Wall Street" --- "the new law in Corporate America seems to be 'survival of the unfittest"."

Again to quote Gekko --- "In my book, you either do it right, or you get eliminated."
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:03 am

Originally posted by fflmaster:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The good news is that if you look at the signups that have been generated since Registration went live on Saturday without any announcement of how past winners will be paid, hardly anyone signed up. Less than a handful. So at least people aren't blind to the facts. Signups are still live today even without an announcement, but again it looks like folks aren't falling over themselves for the open spots. greg,

how can you tell how many signups a site has?

would love to know how to do this
[/QUOTE]We have a thread within General NFFC Discussion that lists every single signup. I wish it was full, but we have more work to do!!

FFPC announced 465 signups on Friday and listed the owners' names and draft picks

The other contest has no such transparency.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
And early draft spots are supposed to be released today. Hmmm..... wonder if that will happen???

Why do people put up with such incompetence when there are clearly TWO far superior products out there??? :confused: Billy - most have no choice. The rest are uninformed creatures of habit wondering why they haven't seen Emil or Lenny for a while. They'll wake up this year. But really, the informed are stuck - their discretionary income is tied up on account and the only chance to get it back is to see the contest through.