What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 am

It's absolutely surreal to see a post about announcing post draft spots while no one there comments on things like, you know, paying the people who won last year. It's the strategy I implemented when I was 8 years old: ignore bad things in the hope that they just go away.

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 am

Originally posted by chriseibl:
Wow, just following the WCOFF situation from the outside and can't believe the message board.

Dustin posts "Draft Positions will be released this evening at approximately 7pm CST."

and "Guys -

We have ample space at the MGM Grand in our hotel room block. For those of you who have registered, you should be receiving a confirmation from the MGM Grand later this week or early next. We submit the updated hotel rooming list once a week to the MGM."

I can't believe they are pretending to go forward with this. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George invites Susan's parents to his house in the Hamptons. Which he doesn't have. To George's credit, he was willing to go the distance.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 am

Has anyone called the MGM to see if the room block is actually available?
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:47 am

well here is one 2011 WCOFF league...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 am

That first guy looks like someone who would take Vick first overall.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:57 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Apparently, there will be draft positions posted tonight by the other event around 7 pm EST. But nothing about paying the winners. [/QUOTE]Of course not. That's clearly of secondary importance right now to everyone. The only focus seems to be running this event and bringing in revenue no matter what. Providing a means to pay past prize winners in full does not appear to be of much importance.
[/QUOTE]I just don't see the revenue coming in. Rollovers bring in nothing. Their satellite season is shot. No one in their right mind will be sending in new money for the ME. They certainly don't have the money to put into escrow that had been promised to pay the 2011 winners. So I don't get how this gets all those already owed paid. Just seems to be creating more people owed more money.

Yet you are correct, not having to actually pay anyone increases the bottom line tremendously.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that if that event does go forward the plan would be to tell past prize winners they won't be paid in full but will receive free entries for this year instead. As Glenn (KOQ) noted that will present the appearance of an event that is successful while pushing aside or attempting to bury the very real problems that will still exist. Of course, that ignores the very real possibility that people could be playing a second year for nothing but again, that doesn't seem to be of much importance at the present time.

[ August 15, 2011, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Mankind

Post by Mankind » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:16 am

Tom,
My partner called MGM yesterday and he was told they have "NO" rooms blocked for WCOFF or any fantasy football events those weekends...

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:33 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
If I was a betting man, I'd wager that if that event does go forward the plan would be to tell past prize winners they won't be paid in full but will receive free entries for this year instead. As Glenn (KOQ) noted that will present the appearance of an event that is successful while pushing aside or attempting to bury the very real problems that will still exist. Of course, that ignores the very real possibility that people could be playing a second year for nothing but again, that doesn't seem to be of much importance at the present time. ...SMH... :(

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 am

Originally posted by Mankind:
Tom,
My partner called MGM yesterday and he was told they have "NO" rooms blocked for WCOFF or any fantasy football events those weekends... It would appear someone is mistaken, wouldn't it?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich