What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
If I was a betting man, I'd wager that if that event does go forward the plan would be to tell past prize winners they won't be paid in full but will receive free entries for this year instead. As Glenn (KOQ) noted that will present the appearance of an event that is successful while pushing aside or attempting to bury the very real problems that will still exist. Of course, that ignores the very real possibility that people could be playing a second year for nothing but again, that doesn't seem to be of much importance at the present time. ...SMH... :( [/QUOTE]Sure hope I'm wrong about that, Glenn.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:47 am

The WCOFF's failure to pay it's winners from 2010 could be explained in court as a business failure.

But now taking in finds for 2011 with very little realistic expectation of paying off future winners is fraud, plain and simple.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by Mankind:
Tom,
My partner called MGM yesterday and he was told they have "NO" rooms blocked for WCOFF or any fantasy football events those weekends... It would appear someone is mistaken, wouldn't it?
[/QUOTE]Dustin said the rooms are under the personal name of Jill Mitchell :rolleyes:

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:52 am

Looks like some answers coming tonight. Or at least additional questions,

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
If I was a betting man, I'd wager that if that event does go forward the plan would be to tell past prize winners they won't be paid in full but will receive free entries for this year instead. As Glenn (KOQ) noted that will present the appearance of an event that is successful while pushing aside or attempting to bury the very real problems that will still exist. Of course, that ignores the very real possibility that people could be playing a second year for nothing but again, that doesn't seem to be of much importance at the present time. It will be interesting to see what happens. What they should have done two months ago is cancel the baseball contest and pay everyone back their entry fee (or if it was free entry, let it be used for football), leaving them one problem (2010 football) instead of two. That would kill the WCOFB, but it's dead anyway. Also, it;s probably fair to assume that money was gone by then,

They're just buying time. That's what everyone does in this situation. The only other option is to come clean (unless there is a new buyer).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Sorry, I was out getting all of your NFFC badges laminated and placed with beautiful Topps football cards. Did I miss something this afternoon? :D OMG, this is just amazing. Wouldn't the announcement come before the draft picks?

I just talked with one guy who has rollover money and he has no intention of going to Las Vegas. Since that contest doesn't have online options, how are they putting him in a league already with a draft spot?? Are they just giving all rollover money main event draft spots and telling them to deal with getting to the draft?? It's another form of miscommunication to the members, many of whom would probably take cash right now instead of the No. 1 pick.

Should be Must See Internet tonight. No explanation of anything from April until August and now heeeeeeeeeere's Johnny with your draft picks. Behind Curtain No. 1.....
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
What they should have done two months ago is cancel the baseball contest and pay everyone back their entry fee (or if it was free entry, let it be used for football), leaving them one problem (2010 football) instead of two. That would kill the WCOFB, but it's dead anyway. Also, it;s probably fair to assume that money was gone by then,
I don't think you can in good conscience cancel any contest once it has started. It's a practice that you don't want to see have a precedent set. Once allowed, at what part of the season do you set the line where it is too late to cancel? 25% of the season, 50%, a week before completion?

If they didn't feel that the contest was bringing in enough revenue to pay out all prizes, they should have canceled before the start of the season. Or even better, do what Greg and Tom have done in the past, cancel the contest, offer refunds, and change the prize structure to a level compatible to the entries. I don't think anyone ever held that against the NFFC or NFBC, because it was sound business practice.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Since that contest doesn't have online options, how are they putting him in a league already with a draft spot?? Don't assume.

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Hells Satans:
What they should have done two months ago is cancel the baseball contest and pay everyone back their entry fee (or if it was free entry, let it be used for football), leaving them one problem (2010 football) instead of two. That would kill the WCOFB, but it's dead anyway. Also, it;s probably fair to assume that money was gone by then,
I don't think you can in good conscience cancel any contest once it has started. It's a practice that you don't want to see have a precedent set. Once allowed, at what part of the season do you set the line where it is too late to cancel? 25% of the season, 50%, a week before completion?

If they didn't feel that the contest was bringing in enough revenue to pay out all prizes, they should have canceled before the start of the season. Or even better, do what Greg and Tom have done in the past, cancel the contest, offer refunds, and change the prize structure to a level compatible to the entries. I don't think anyone ever held that against the NFFC or NFBC, because it was sound business practice.
[/QUOTE]Oh, I agree 100% and it's absolutely too late to do something like that now. The fact that they didn't cancel it in April and give everyone their money back (when it was painfully obvious that it was a massive loss) makes it pretty clear to me that they were using the baseball money for football winnings

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Since that contest doesn't have online options, how are they putting him in a league already with a draft spot?? Don't assume. [/QUOTE]Glenn, I know you have more inside information with them than I do, so okay, they're adding online options. Wouldn't it be prudent to know how many of your rollover customers will be drafting online and how many are live so that you have the right number of 1s, 2s, 3s, etc.?? Excuse me, but I see all 300+ rollovers being thrown together and expecting honest random draft slots, right? But what happens if too many of the 1s haven't agreed to come to Las Vegas?? Oh, I know, change draft spots somehow behind the curtain. Please.

And did I just see Pete -- who I like a lot and respect -- just say "Christmas, Yahoo!!!" on those boards? Christmas Morning???? Oh my.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius