What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:00 am

Ironically, the last post made on the WCOFF boards before they were disabled was by LAST CALL. Appropriate? I think.

Who needs a drink? Sam, a round on me. :mad:
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:26 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by Paul Gromek:
I guess all that's left to play for in the WCOFB is pride, although like Tom said, the writing has been on the wall for a while. i wouldn't put it past wcofb to shut down their site b4 the season is over. then they can claim there was no 200K winner and they don't owe any prize money :eek: [/QUOTE]They had a an equivalent of an Ultimate league (5k entry) aside from their ME too. Not sure how much of that was rollover funded. Toss that in the garbage too. Astounding.
[/QUOTE]Mr. Jupinka....your mailbox is full.
[/QUOTE]good Billy. Sorry about the PM's, I kept getting an error sending. Apparently they all went thru :eek:

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 am

If the WCOFF would announce on their WEBSITE that the event is cancelled, then it would give unknowing Fantasy players the opportunity to register and play in other events. As it stands now, the website looks like the WCOFF is a full go. Fantasy players who browse that site and don't yet try to register an entry wouldn't know that the event is dead.

I really have to wonder if their failure to do so is due to ongoing bitterness towards their competition (particularly the FFPC) who they might view as having fanned the flames of discontent.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:13 am

Shrink,
That is an excellent point. I looked at their website a few days ago and it looks like it's "business as usual". The creditors (in other words, the players who are owed money in football, and who will be owed money in baseball), need to get together, hire a good lawyer, and force the WCOFF into bankruptcy. By the way I have never played the WCOFF or WCOFB, but I want to see the right thing done here. Don't let them pull a "Fantasy Jungle" and fade away into the night, and never pay the winners. This whole things stinks on every level, the people running that contest are dishonest and need to be held accountable.. Even if you only wind up getting 1/3 of what you are owed.....that is better than nothing.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:19 am

Originally posted by FFBL23:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Surely everyone playing baseball over there knows what's going in in football, don't they?

Is the baseball MB the same disaster as the Football MB? Anyone playing baseball over there would be delusional to think they're going to get paid. We know, trust me.
[/QUOTE]Kevin, you're a good guy and a great player. One of the only positives of this situation is that I've gotten the opportunity to speak to and get to know many cool people like yourself over the past couple months who share in this unfortunate debacle. As bad as I feel for how this may affect me, I feel worse for you.

However, if this thing is allowed to play out, I still plan on catching your a$$.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Ironically, the last post made on the WCOFF boards before they were disabled was by LAST CALL. Appropriate? I think.
That might have been the last post showing at the time Greg. No more. For whatever reason, the WCOFF Update thread, with its 58,000+ views and countless pages of countless posts was deleted last night.

Someone had the time to delete that thread but not to advise all of what's going on. I'm not sure why someone would take the time to delete a thread that noone can respond to anymore. I have an idea why, but only that person knows for sure.

One of the posts from the last day of that thread was from someone who had been told that the long awaited announcement was coming today. Let's hope that still happens.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
That might have been the last post showing at the time Greg. No more. For whatever reason, the WCOFF Update thread, with its 58,000+ views and countless pages of countless posts was deleted last night.

Someone had the time to delete that thread but not to advise all of what's going on. I'm not sure why someone would take the time to delete a thread that noone can respond to anymore. I have an idea why, but only that person knows for sure.

One of the posts from the last day of that thread was from someone who had been told that the long awaited announcement was coming today. Let's hope that still happens.
[/QUOTE]Wow, that is pretty amazing Glenn. So they deleted an entire thread that was closed to non-members for months on Sunday and still don't have any post announcing plans for 2011?? And the home page is still active with the $300,000 grand prize and the Registration is still taking signups? AMAZING.

There were a lot of mistakes made over the last 4+ years with the new ownership and some you might be able to forgive. Their goal was to take this part of the industry to national TV, to multiple cities, to heights of thousands of players competing in multiple sports. They over-reached, but that's been done before in many industries. They overshot and they paid the price by losing their investment. Unfortunately, they used a lot of players' investments too and lost all of that as well.

But the decisions made in this last week have proven that those bad decisions weren't relegated to just the game. There's a human aspect that just isn't being taken into consideration, the idea where you treat others like you'd want them to treat you. Okay, so everything began to fall apart on Monday night and instead of stopping the proceedings right then and there it continued with deleted posts of the agreement to the players for the contest to go forward. Then it was the announcement of draft picks when ownership knew there was not going to be a stat service available to run the games. Then there was no response since Monday night, no announcement of the cancellation of the live events, no plan for paying players what they are owed, the #### for a competitor on those boards, and now the deletion of this entire thread. All bad decisions.

Put an announcement to end all this and then take the site down. At least Rapid Draft did that much. It's time to go dark and let the rest of the industry move forward. I'm sure they didn't want that thread promoting either remaining game and that's probably the only good thing it could do. So now it's gone, as is the leadership who still could man up and say they're sorry and they are gone for now. Likely forever as we know it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Wow, that is pretty amazing Glenn. So they deleted an entire thread that was closed to non-members for months on Sunday and still don't have any post announcing plans for 2011?? And the home page is still active with the $300,000 grand prize and the Registration is still taking signups? AMAZING.

There were a lot of mistakes made over the last 4+ years with the new ownership and some you might be able to forgive. Their goal was to take this part of the industry to national TV, to multiple cities, to heights of thousands of players competing in multiple sports. They over-reached, but that's been done before in many industries. They overshot and they paid the price by losing their investment. Unfortunately, they used a lot of players' investments too and lost all of that as well.

But the decisions made in this last week have proven that those bad decisions weren't relegated to just the game. There's a human aspect that just isn't being taken into consideration, the idea where you treat others like you'd want them to treat you. Okay, so everything began to fall apart on Monday night and instead of stopping the proceedings right then and there it continued with deleted posts of the agreement to the players for the contest to go forward. Then it was the announcement of draft picks when ownership knew there was not going to be a stat service available to run the games. Then there was no response since Monday night, no announcement of the cancellation of the live events, no plan for paying players what they are owed, the #### for a competitor on those boards, and now the deletion of this entire thread. All bad decisions.

Put an announcement to end all this and then take the site down. At least Rapid Draft did that much. It's time to go dark and let the rest of the industry move forward. I'm sure they didn't want that thread promoting either remaining game and that's probably the only good thing it could do. So now it's gone, as is the leadership who still could man up and say they're sorry and they are gone for now. Likely forever as we know it.
[/QUOTE]Greg, wouldn't it be typical of the lack of consideration we've seen over the last few weeks that you reference above to make the announcement today after knowing that they were going to make it before the weekend as per one person's post in the now deleted thread just to allow the baseball players to have to go through one last Sunday of FAAB and lineup changes. Fun stuff.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 am

It needed to be done YESTERDAY and all the days before that, but common courtesy would be to contact all of these owners who are signed up and tell them the truth. That and taking down the home page with an announcement and a contact number for unpaid past winners. The message boards can be deleted completely now; there's nothing left to prove there. Let's see if it happens today, like Dustin told a customer on Friday.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Someone had the time to delete that thread but not to advise all of what's going on. I'm not sure why someone would take the time to delete a thread that noone can respond to anymore. I have an idea why, but only that person knows for sure.Customer service has not been a high priority over there for the past eight months. It doesn't surprise me that it hasn't become a priority now.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich