NBC Sports Partners With The NFFC

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am

The hardest thing about online auctions is sometimes you have some really tough spots to be in, when you moderate.

Here's an example. Let's say it's early in the draft, and no RB's were bought yet. Willie Parker is brought up for $29. Only two people like him in this draft, so he ends up selling for $38. As soon as he's sold, everyone says "WOW!", and "I can't believe he went for such a low price"...etc. BUT THEN, one person says, "WAIT!, I've been frozen and was trying to bid the whole time!"...

As a moderator, do you start the bid over? Do you say, sorry dude, you froze, you lose? No matter what you do here, someone is pisssed.

It's a tough spot to be in, and it happens quite a bit in the online auctions. This has to be fixed with fantasyauctioneer.com's program.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Originally posted by boutrous11:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by boutrous11:
will any of the NBC draft champion sats be auctions? pretty please? We will have to think about that. We had a bad experience with online baseball auction leagues this year and we promised ourselves never to do them again. You'll have to talk Tom into that one as he has two nights in March that he'd like to have back. :D [/QUOTE]how were the football auctions last year? the ones i did had no problems that i knew of.

hey Tom, NBC satellite draft champion auctions brother. hook us up!
[/QUOTE]We've yet to encounter a single problem-free satellite auction unfortunately. The two for the NFBC were a disaster. No other way to put it. We had one owner who could not bid on his players so he didn't end up with the roster he wanted. That kind of thing simply can't happen. I know you guys and our baseball group really want to do online auctions and we'd like to offer those if we could. But until we find a way to present them with far fewer errors (no errors would be ideal) I will continue to vote no on doing them. I am sorry but at this time it's simply not worth the effort for us and the headaches it causes the people who participate.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Tom, those baseball drafts are hard enough, with 15 teams and 25-30 rounds??? I can't remember how many rounds, but I know it's a lot more than football. The problems on the auction website with baseball must have been compounded the problems, since it's so much longer. I've told you in the past, I'd never be able to fascilitate for baseball again...lol...Forget about fascilitating baseball WITH a website with some major glitches! lol

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Tom, at least do us the solid of not ruling them out completely? maybe we can come up with something that will work that everyone can agree on. brilliant minds there are on here i always say..

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Tom,

I "sponsored" (couldn't think of a better word)two of the auction/DC's last year, and while the first one was pretty rough, I don't even recall one problem in the 2nd one.

I wouldn't mind doing one of them (a DC/auction), as they are fun, but ONLY one. ;)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm

There IS a way to do an online auction with no problems, but it may be too restrictive for some. The trick is to take bids around the table in the nomination order, but if you say "pass", you can't re-enter the bidding. For example, Team 1 nominates Tomlinson for $65. Team 2 says $70. Team 3 says $75. Team 4 says $77. Team 5 passes. Team 6 says $81. Teams 7 through 14 pass. Team 1 says $82. Teams 2 through 5 pass. Team 6 says $83. Team 1 passes. Team 6 is awarded Tomlinson for $83.

Big advantage to doing it this way is that no one can say they were frozen or timed out.

As far as not being able to call out a bid whenever you want, it almost always comes down to 2 or 3 owners anyway. You'd almost certainly pay the price you would have if doing the traditional auction.

Thoughts?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:32 pm

May 5th baby...The first one is coming. Let's see how it goes. I think we should do one auction a month until we have the site down-pat. ;)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Glenn, I'm not sure that's something that can be done online. I don't know if there's a site that's set up to do an auction like that.

Nothing has been officially decided so the door isn't completely closed. But there are a number of issues involved with these which make online auctions extremely difficult to do. Greg and I will talk but I'm going to be honest - it will take A LOT of convincing for me to change my mind. I'm not trying to be stubborn but the baseball ones were such a disaster and all of the ones in the past have had major issues of some kind I'm just not sure it's the right move for us to make.

But we won't make a decision today.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Glenn, I'm not sure that's something that can be done online. I don't know if there's a site that's set up to do an auction like that.

Nothing has been officially decided so the door isn't completely closed. But there are a number of issues involved with these which make online auctions extremely difficult to do. Greg and I will talk but I'm going to be honest - it will take A LOT of convincing for me to change my mind. I'm not trying to be stubborn but the baseball ones were such a disaster and all of the ones in the past have had major issues of some kind I'm just not sure it's the right move for us to make.

But we won't make a decision today. I have to say I have done every NFFC auction that there has been And I haven't had one single Problem.....The Player List and the way they have things set up Isn't the best.

And The Auction I did with Snake was the Only one That there were problems with. A day or so After we did another auction with no Snake and no Problems....

I also think Snake won Ahman Green and Guys just didn't like the fact that he got a deal. It never froze on my computer.

Keep the auction's TK!!!!!!!
I.W
Johnny Frisella