NBC Sports Partners With The NFFC

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Glenn, I'm not sure that's something that can be done online. I don't know if there's a site that's set up to do an auction like that.

Nothing has been officially decided so the door isn't completely closed. But there are a number of issues involved with these which make online auctions extremely difficult to do. Greg and I will talk but I'm going to be honest - it will take A LOT of convincing for me to change my mind. I'm not trying to be stubborn but the baseball ones were such a disaster and all of the ones in the past have had major issues of some kind I'm just not sure it's the right move for us to make.

But we won't make a decision today. I have to say I have done every NFFC auction that there has been And I haven't had one single Problem.....The Player List and the way they have things set up Isn't the best.

And The Auction I did with Snake was the Only one That there were problems with. A day or so After we did another auction with no Snake and no Problems....

I also think Snake won Ahman Green and Guys just didn't like the fact that he got a deal. It never froze on my computer.

Keep the auction's TK!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]...that Ahman Green fiasco was a classic in NFFC folklore history, eh JJ?...hehehe...SNAKE
[/QUOTE]Snake, I was happy when everyone wanted to re-bid. I knew Green was Garbage. I was telling the truth On my end, I had no Freeze.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:45 pm

i can honestly say there are so many events to choose from it's going to be tough to make a decision.. i think i'd probably go with a 650 nffc auction, a 1300 nbc auction and 1300 nbc main event.. if i had to choose then do a few nffc sats.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Glenn, I'm not sure that's something that can be done online. I don't know if there's a site that's set up to do an auction like that.

Nothing has been officially decided so the door isn't completely closed. But there are a number of issues involved with these which make online auctions extremely difficult to do. Greg and I will talk but I'm going to be honest - it will take A LOT of convincing for me to change my mind. I'm not trying to be stubborn but the baseball ones were such a disaster and all of the ones in the past have had major issues of some kind I'm just not sure it's the right move for us to make.

But we won't make a decision today. could we do an auction in a chatroom maybe? not sure how that would go over.

what about keeping the cheap auctions? the 125 buyins. less of a buyin, less of an issue if there are problems.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm

I don't see why we couldn't do a chat room auction, which really is better anyway. The chance of a tech snafu for that would be less than an MDC draft.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 pm

Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
If you go back and read this thread, have you noticed that you are the only person who does not "get it"? Z was right, you have no class.

You made your point that you are not sure whether this is best for the NFFC. Good for you. We get it. Nobody cares.

This has nothing to do with your "freedom of expression". Feel free to go "express yourself" to people on a street corner about this issue and exercise your public right in the only forum that you have that right. You have no such right here. This is the NFFC's board, not yours. Yet, we have to see your repeated, inane posts attempting to defend yourself when you actually have no clue of the inner workings of what the NFFC is doing. I don't know how or why Greg gives you any freedom to post here, because you are ridiculous.

Now, I'm sure we will all get to see yet another ridiculous post in the third-person in some reptile form. Have you ever stopped to think about that, how that REALLY appears, and then how anyone is ever supposed to think that your opinion actually has any credibility? Yes, Bald is Beautiful. Spot on x100.

Renman, your post was great also.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:55 pm

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Ok, all fun aside, I think this move by NBC is genius. With them not having a television contract with the NFL, what better way to penetrate the fans then to dive into Fantasy sports?!

This may not have been a consideration, but a nice side benefit nonetheless IMO. :confused:

NBC Sunday Night Football?
[/QUOTE]Yeah, I meant besides that!

It's been a long day.
[/QUOTE]LOL...

The success of NBC Sunday night fantasy game played a small part of this getting done IMO.

I had a lot of fun with that game and complimented the rotoworld guys at LABR on it, and they said it did way better than expected and the sponsor was ecstatic.

The timing by Greg and all couldn't have been any better in many ways on this JV!

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
There IS a way to do an online auction with no problems, but it may be too restrictive for some. The trick is to take bids around the table in the nomination order, but if you say "pass", you can't re-enter the bidding. For example, Team 1 nominates Tomlinson for $65. Team 2 says $70. Team 3 says $75. Team 4 says $77. Team 5 passes. Team 6 says $81. Teams 7 through 14 pass. Team 1 says $82. Teams 2 through 5 pass. Team 6 says $83. Team 1 passes. Team 6 is awarded Tomlinson for $83.

Big advantage to doing it this way is that no one can say they were frozen or timed out.

As far as not being able to call out a bid whenever you want, it almost always comes down to 2 or 3 owners anyway. You'd almost certainly pay the price you would have if doing the traditional auction.

Thoughts? My local roto baseball leagues still does this after 23 years.

It takes 7 hours at 12 teams x 23 players. Probably about 4-5 hours online w/o all the draft day smack LOL.

I've never done an online auction. How long does it take?

[ April 25, 2008, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:28 am

Today is a beautiful day! Take time to do something with the family between now and 3PM EST tomorrow. Because then it's game on!

:cool:
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
There IS a way to do an online auction with no problems, but it may be too restrictive for some. The trick is to take bids around the table in the nomination order, but if you say "pass", you can't re-enter the bidding. For example, Team 1 nominates Tomlinson for $65. Team 2 says $70. Team 3 says $75. Team 4 says $77. Team 5 passes. Team 6 says $81. Teams 7 through 14 pass. Team 1 says $82. Teams 2 through 5 pass. Team 6 says $83. Team 1 passes. Team 6 is awarded Tomlinson for $83.

Big advantage to doing it this way is that no one can say they were frozen or timed out.

As far as not being able to call out a bid whenever you want, it almost always comes down to 2 or 3 owners anyway. You'd almost certainly pay the price you would have if doing the traditional auction.

Thoughts? My local roto baseball leagues still does this after 23 years.

It takes 7 hours at 12 teams x 23 players. Probably about 4-5 hours online w/o all the draft day smack LOL.

I've never done an online auction. How long does it take?
[/QUOTE]The baseball auctions took about 6-7 hours this year. Football auctions are shorter but the time element is a problem.

As far as the chat room option that isn't going to work in all probability. We need to have codes for the players for STATS so that they can enter the rosters quickly. That is something Mock Draft Central and FantasyAuctioneer have built into their systems. The chat room option would prevent that and would create delays in terms of getting the leagues loaded.

The other thing is FantasyAuctioneer isn't set up to help us from the tech side the way Mock Draft Central is. They don't have someone monitoring the auction so if a problem arises there's nothing that can be done. And given how major problems have arisen in every online auction we've run (again not minor ones but major problems) I don't think it's wise to put us in a position where we can't provide responsive help to our customers - regardless of how much they paid to get into the league. That's inexcusable to me and I think Greg feels the same way.

Again, we'll keep talking about this but when Greg and I talk my vote will remain no. It's just been too much of a major problem unfortunately to do these. Greg's the boss and what he says goes but that's my view having done a large number of these for baseball and football the past several years.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich