NBC Sports Partners With The NFFC

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 am

we need an auction satellite brainstorm thread!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Today is a beautiful day! Take time to do something with the family between now and 3PM EST tomorrow. Because then it's game on!

:cool: Unfortunately I will be minutes from the NC border at my schools track championship, and will most likely miss the first 3 hours. :(

Oh well, not like I can't get caught up in about 2 minutes (gotta love the Treo! :D

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:52 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
There IS a way to do an online auction with no problems, but it may be too restrictive for some. The trick is to take bids around the table in the nomination order, but if you say "pass", you can't re-enter the bidding. For example, Team 1 nominates Tomlinson for $65. Team 2 says $70. Team 3 says $75. Team 4 says $77. Team 5 passes. Team 6 says $81. Teams 7 through 14 pass. Team 1 says $82. Teams 2 through 5 pass. Team 6 says $83. Team 1 passes. Team 6 is awarded Tomlinson for $83.

Big advantage to doing it this way is that no one can say they were frozen or timed out.

As far as not being able to call out a bid whenever you want, it almost always comes down to 2 or 3 owners anyway. You'd almost certainly pay the price you would have if doing the traditional auction.

Thoughts? My local roto baseball leagues still does this after 23 years.

It takes 7 hours at 12 teams x 23 players. Probably about 4-5 hours online w/o all the draft day smack LOL.

I've never done an online auction. How long does it take?
[/QUOTE]The baseball auctions took about 6-7 hours this year. Football auctions are shorter but the time element is a problem.

As far as the chat room option that isn't going to work in all probability. We need to have codes for the players for STATS so that they can enter the rosters quickly. That is something Mock Draft Central and FantasyAuctioneer have built into their systems. The chat room option would prevent that and would create delays in terms of getting the leagues loaded.

The other thing is FantasyAuctioneer isn't set up to help us from the tech side the way Mock Draft Central is. They don't have someone monitoring the auction so if a problem arises there's nothing that can be done. And given how major problems have arisen in every online auction we've run (again not minor ones but major problems) I don't think it's wise to put us in a position where we can't provide responsive help to our customers - regardless of how much they paid to get into the league. That's inexcusable to me and I think Greg feels the same way.

Again, we'll keep talking about this but when Greg and I talk my vote will remain no. It's just been too much of a major problem unfortunately to do these. Greg's the boss and what he says goes but that's my view having done a large number of these for baseball and football the past several years.
[/QUOTE]Tom...if it turns out to be a "no" for now....that doesn't mean never right. At some point I've got to believe that these glitches can be corrected.

Who wants to start a business that provides a place for online auctions....it's a wide open field! :D

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:01 am

Never say never Jeff. If the system can be improved I think I speak for Greg in saying we'd be happy to have some online auctions. Unfortunately, the system is a long way away from working in my opinion.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:11 am

1-We're having an online auction on May 5th, right? Let's see how that goes before anyone makes some rash decisions...lol

2-I'm going to have to look into what it would cost to create a program to accomodate online auctions. If it works out, I may retire a few years earlier than expected.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
1-We're having an online auction on May 5th, right? Let's see how that goes before anyone makes some rash decisions...lol

2-I'm going to have to look into what it would cost me to beat Route C in an online auction. If it works out, I may do it 25 years earlier than expected. Fixed :D

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:21 am

Never say never Jeff. If the system can be improved I think I speak for Greg in saying we'd be happy to have some online auctions. Unfortunately, the system is a long way away from working in my opinion. Tom, I've done the auctions every single year for both baseball and football. There are issues here and there, but even knowing those issues, there are still one or two leagues worth of guys that want auctions.

Just make sure everyone understands "buyer beware". That, and don't let snake into an auction. Those are the only two things you need to run them successfully IMO.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 am

We've done that Kevin. We've specifically talked about that every time we've done one and every time there have been major problems. Again, even if it's just one owner who has major problems that's one owner too many in my opinion.

We'll keep talking about it but at this time my vote would remain a strong no. I am sorry about that but given the major issues that continue to plague these auctions I'm not sure that's something we want to keep pursuing until there's a stronger system in place.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:32 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote: Diesel, You are probably the best fantasy football player in the country. I'm sure everyone agrees that the only thing seperating you from the top spot is 100K. You're my idol man. :D [/QB][/QUOTE]FIXED
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:34 am

Never say never Jeff. If the system can be improved I think I speak for Greg in saying we'd be happy to have some online auctions. Unfortunately, the system is a long way away from working in my opinion. Just a thought...

When playing a video game online...it shows you your connection quality. (in my case...it's a green circle when you have a solid connection, yellow when so-so, and red when dangerous to failure.)

If they can monitor each drafters connection quality...they can add safeguard pauses in the draft to not lock players out.

~Lance

[ April 25, 2008, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver