Quitters ruin this contest....

aragon

Post by aragon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 am

Well, I guess if they were that bad, it wouldn't matter. They wouldn't win the head to head match anyway.

But I hear what you're saying. There just isn't any solution that's going to be perfect. I just think offering a positive inducement may be the better way to go, if doable.

aragon

Post by aragon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 am

What if the weekly prizes started in week 8 or 9?

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 am

I have said this before but I believe the NFFC would be smart to make an announcement about this issue in each draft city. Challenge peoples integrity a little. I would literally make a statement about this saying...

"Guys, this is the bigtime, you have all stepped up to the challenge of a premier fantasy football competition and we applaud you for that... However, this isn't your just for fun local home league.. this isn't some anonymous free yahoo league... We all agree we are playing for some pretty high stakes here... Some in this room will see their seasons go bad and go bad fast... please have the competitive integrity to continue to do your best to field a competitive team as opposed to those who just bail out when things don't go their way... You owe it to the people in this room to play out the season to the best of your abilities..."

I believe that in and of itself would help this problem some.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am

The argument about STATS auto setting the lineup is mute. They already do this. They default the roster from the previous week. They could just as easily put in the starters from week 1. Or they could use a third party service to put them in in order of projections for the week.

To be accurate, an unmanaged team should have no one in the line up (get zero) since none were put in.

Once you use a default (like last weeks line up). You are already assisting an owner in making his/her line up. It's just a matter of how much help do you give them. For every Owner that is looking for an inactive owner to get a win to help them ... another Owner will get beat by an inactive owner (and be very unhappy).

Personally ... I would like to see a lineup set by the computer based on projections. It will put in a good lineup and the team will have a fighting chance to win (upset others). If you can't beat an unmanaged team ... you need to take a loss IMHO. Otherwise ... the team should have no starters and get a zero. Last weeks lineup is a bad answer to unmanaged teams.
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I have said this before but I believe the NFFC would be smart to make an announcement about this issue in each draft city. Challenge peoples integrity a little. I would literally make a statement about this saying...

"Guys, this is the bigtime, you have all stepped up to the challenge of a premier fantasy football competition and we applaud you for that... However, this isn't your just for fun local home league.. this isn't some anonymous free yahoo league... We all agree we are playing for some pretty high stakes here... Some in this room will see their seasons go bad and go bad fast... please have the competitive integrity to continue to do your best to field a competitive team as opposed to those who just bail out when things don't go their way... You owe it to the people in this room to play out the season to the best of your abilities..."

I believe that in and of itself would help this problem some. Look's like Renman just put the issue to rest with his all inspiring statement. Problem solved!
Hakuna Matata!

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:35 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:

I believe that in and of itself would help this problem some. Look's like Renman just put the issue to rest with his all inspiring statement. Problem solved!
[/QUOTE]NOT TO BE THE VOICE OF DOOM BUT THAT'S BEAUTIFUL IN THEORY HOWEVER IF THERE IS NO VALUE ADD IN DOING SO OUTSIDE PRIDE AND INTEGRITY SOME OWNERS WILL STILL BALK AT SETTING LINEUPS ONCE THEY ARE OUT OF IT.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:51 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:

[/QUOTE]NOT TO BE THE VOICE OF DOOM BUT THAT'S BEAUTIFUL IN THEORY HOWEVER IF THERE IS NO VALUE ADD IN DOING SO OUTSIDE PRIDE AND INTEGRITY SOME OWNERS WILL STILL BALK AT SETTING LINEUPS ONCE THEY ARE OUT OF IT.
[/QUOTE]I was being sarcastic ... you are correct about what you said. Some guys don't want to manage a line up when they are out of it. It's their prerogative to do so or not.
Hakuna Matata!

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:10 pm

I think one of the best ways to fix this issue is to break the consolation race (weeks 14-16) into two seperate consolation brackets. The top consolation bracket (3rd and 4th place points and records, plus any teams in the top 20% who did not otherwise qualify) get to play for the 2K prize. The bottom consolation bracket gets to compete for a free entry next season (so you have to take one prize away from the middle bracket). My thinking is this...at least a bottom team could still keep their weekly average respectable so as to have a shot at the bottom bracket win OR compete longer to try to make the middle (upper consolation) bracket. Thoughts?
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm

(1) Owners report deadbeat owners
(2) If the NFFC determines them to have abandoned their team, the NFFC then becomes the manager
(3) Making only lineup moves using a third party service's rankings
(4) Next year, for a deadbeat to reenter, a $50 fee is paid to the NFFC for previous year's issue

Well?

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)