ultimatefs

Quitters ruin this contest....

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Well done jerk off.

Pete had a baby boy Saturday night. That's great news for him, but is it an excuse for quitting a contest in midstream? Unless he hatched the baby himself, I think he could've taken 30 seconds to set his lineup.
[/QUOTE]maybe he sets his lineups every Sat night or Sunday morning and had something more important this weekend. ya think?

I've played against Pete in several leagues over the past decade and I've never seen anything like this.

This attack on Pete is unwarranted.

Wow, I guess if you play high stakes fantasy football, you can't ever go to the hospital over the weekend. Heaven forbid.

Make sure your wife only has kids on a weekday.
[/QUOTE]He didn't bother to pick up a kicker on a bye in week 10, either.

He is in last place of our league (and 6 from the bottom in the overall standings).

Although he obviously has more important stuff going on right now (congrats by the way! :D ), I don't think it is out of line to assume he has left his team for dead.
[/QUOTE]Correct Billy...

Maybe he missed the switch to Wed trans Week 10.

I bet dozens of people did that.
That does not mean he quit.

How much FAAB did he spend Week 9?

take a look and tell me if this indicates a quitter?

TIA.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:37 am

Originally posted by Bullgod:
quote:Originally posted by Bullgod:
Maybe we can embarass people into playing out the string...I'll start...

In the Primetime Chicago League 3, Peter Schoenke of rotowire.com played his kicker who was on a bye in week 10 and this week he played Dwayne Bowe AND Larry Johnson...considering his flex was Steve Slaton and he had the likes of Austin Collie, Michael Jenkins and Joshua Cribbs on his bench he could've played Slaton at RB instead of LJ and had any 2 of the WR's listed above to play WR instead of Bowe and Flexed the other. He also still has $123 in free agent money if he didn't like his choices on his bench!

I know, he probably didn't know that Dwayne Bowe was suspended!

RotoWire Update Recommendation
KC 11/17/2009
Bowe has been suspended four games for violating the league's performance enhancing drugs policy, Kent Babb of the KC Star reports. This is a very tough break for Bowe...Join Now for Full Analysis!

OOPS!!! :eek:
Nope I guess that theory is shot...the "recommendation" above is from His own website!!!

And I looked in the transactions, he actually put LJ in his lineup on 11/22!!!

He probably thought LJ had a good matchup against the Steelers I guess :D Oh wait, he actually did know that LJ got suspended and released by the Chiefs and was playing for the Bengals...

RotoWire Update Recommendation
CIN 11/22/2009
Johnson will likely see around eight touches against the Raiders on Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports. If Cedric Benson doesn't play as ex...Join Now for Full Analysis!

Again, his own website... :eek: :eek:

So maybe he only tries when he has a chance and maybe some guys think that's ok. I'm not one of them and I won't be going to rotowire.com for anything! Why would anybody ever pay for his advice?!?

It surprises me that a guy who makes his living in this very industry would stop playing, especially since he's probably playing against some of his own customers. Maybe he's embarassed because some "amateurs" are spanking him but come on Peter Schoenke, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!! :mad: Well done jerk off.

Pete had a baby boy Saturday night.
[/QUOTE]First of all, I'm glad to hear the goods new. I hope everyone is healthy! That IS the most important thing!

Second, I prefer to be called a cynical bastard :D

From your view Fantasy Factor he is a stand up guy. I'm not saying he's not. From my view(and anyone in this league) this is a guy who didn't make our draft, not sure why, so someone from the NFFC had to sit in his spot and talk to him on the phone the entire draft. Not very ideal. Then he doesn't play a K in week 10 and then he did what I detailed above this past week. So I know stuff happens in life, believe me I do! My son was in the hospital for 12 days earlier this year. Stuff happens!
But thank you for a different view on this and I'm happy for him and his family. Oh and ease up on the name calling please.
[/QUOTE]I'll ease up on the name calling.

You took an opportunity to make a grand stand post w/o 100% of the facts that probably left you feeling really good about busting one of best in this industry. As i said, well done my friend ;)

Week 10, he probably missed the NEW Wed deadline.
I bet dozens in all NFFC leagues did.

Week 9, how much did this so called quitter spend in FAAB that week?

I'll also add that I've dealt with this issue for 25 years. 90% of the time, it's a real life problem, NOT QUITTING that is the cause of situations like this. Family emergency or work emergency, they happen to all of us all the time.

[ November 24, 2009, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: FantasyFactor ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:39 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Well done jerk off.

Pete had a baby boy Saturday night. That's great news for him, but is it an excuse for quitting a contest in midstream? Unless he hatched the baby himself, I think he could've taken 30 seconds to set his lineup.
[/QUOTE]maybe he sets his lineups every Sat night or Sunday morning and had something more important this weekend. ya think?

I've played against Pete in several leagues over the past decade and I've never seen anything like this.

This attack on Pete is unwarranted.

Wow, I guess if you play high stakes fantasy football, you can't ever go to the hospital over the weekend. Heaven forbid.

Make sure your wife only has kids on a weekday.
[/QUOTE]Options for setting lineups when you're away:
1) Do it in advance, just in case. Lineups can be set weeks in advance.
2) Call a friend.
3) Call or email Greg.
[/QUOTE]You obviously don't have children

Life is sometimes not that easy.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Nice photo Steve. Doesn't it look like Greg is cheating off my exam paper? :D sumthing has to be done.instead of not paying attention to the problem and making a joke out of it. integrity is everything. [/QUOTE]Frankie, we understand the frustration of some owners towards this problem, but there is a can of worms to open in every direction on this subject. WCOFF is trying something to address this problem now and I hate to say it but that's a tough, tough way to go. To have the event managers be responsible for changing players out of teams' starting lineups only when alerted by league members sets up a lot of crazy scenarios. EVERYONE needs to be on board with that rule then.

As far as incentivizing owners with a surtax or added fee, some would go for that and many others likely would not. Guess who wouldn't? It's hard enough to get 300+ owners at $1400 each to compete in the NFFC; adding another $100 makes it tougher. I understand the logic and like it, but it's tough for every single league.

For me, you have to hope that owners who pay this kind of entry fee will be on top of their team right through Week 13. I'm in other high stakes leagues with just 11 week regular seasons and yes I've seen some teams not compete the whole way. But it happens.

This is a tough one from a game operator's standpoint and my hope is that NFFC owners are passionate enough to compete right until the bitter end. But there isn't a league around where that happens 100 percent of the time.

It's a good discussion with some good ideas. Just no easy answers.
[/QUOTE]I STILL THINK YOU SHOULD TRY KEVIN'S IDEA GREG. I KNOW TIMES ARE TOUGH AND MONEY IS TIGHTER. HOWEVER WHEN YOU ADD A CHARGE THAT IS GOING TO GIVEN BACK TO THE LEAGUE 100% THEN THAT SWAYS A OWNERS THINKING.

IT'S ONE THING TO ADD THE $100 THEN ONLY GIVE LETS SAY $150 DOLLARS FOR THE WEEKLY PRIZE BUT IF THE WHOLE $200 IS GIVEN OUT I THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD GO FOR THAT.

THIS IS INDEED THE FIRST STEP OF ELIMINATING DEAD TEAMS. AT THE END OF THE DAY MOST PEOPLE (IF NOT ALL) PLAY IN THESE EVENTS FOR THE MONEY AND NOT JUST FOR FUN.

IF THERE IS A MONETARY INCENTIVE THEN PEOPLE HAVE MORE OF A REASON TO CARE VERSUS JUST THE INGREITY OF THE GAME.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 am

So a team that sucks so bad it has given up all hope...now miraculously agrees to be extorted $100 more and needs to be a top scoring team in the final few weeks to get that money back???

Fat chance that is popular and fatter chance that changes anything re: quitters.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 am

I like the TOW idea. I don't like it for certain weeks only. It needs to be all 13 weeks. Week 1 is just as important as Week 7.

45% of my TOW's Week 11 were 5-5 or less after Week 10.

You're still going to have some that truly quit. It's more of an issue if you are one to play it out no matter what or one that doesn't.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:08 am

Teams quitting is more a result of DNA :D , having way too many teams to keep track of, or have a life to live and once they come to the conclusion they suck...they pack it in...(see DNA quitter gene)

Also...you will never be able to solve the "quitting, but still going through the motions" type of quitter. Sure, they set their lineups...and may even go after a free agent or two...but it's just going through the motions.

How about a "SPOILER/CRAB POT" award for the teams that are mathematically out of contention in points and H2H...but claw other potential playoff teams back into the boiling water of toilet bowl land? No money...just prestige.

[ November 24, 2009, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:10 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
So a team that sucks so bad it has given up all hope...now miraculously agrees to be extorted $100 more and needs to be a top scoring team in the final few weeks to get that money back???

Fat chance that is popular and fatter chance that changes anything re: quitters. Actually Lance, it does help the problem, but does not eliminate it.

In almost every league I ran last week, Snelling was picked up by the worst or second worst team and 18% of the TOW's Week 11 were won by teams ranked 10th or lower (14 teams) AFTER they won the TOW.

People do try harder with a TOW prize.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:14 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Fat chance that is popular and fatter chance that changes anything re: quitters. Actually Lance, it does help the problem, but does not eliminate it.

In almost every league I ran last week, Snelling was picked up by the worst or second worst team and 18% of the TOW's Week 11 were won by teams ranked 10th or lower (14 teams) AFTER they won the TOW.

People do try harder with a TOW prize.
[/QUOTE]I'm kind of playing around here...(sorry Renman)...but aren't the ones with the most free agent coin at the end, commonly the worst teams who failed to use that money earlier and are merely crab-pot cock-blocking?

~Long John Silver

renman

Post by renman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:18 am

I want some feedback. I made this point earlier today but it was the last post on the previous page and I am not sure how many saw it...

We currently have AUTOMATED LINEUPS set for us each week. Each week, on Tuesday morning, we see our team and a lineup has been put in place. It is not like we have an empty team that requires us manually enter the players at each position to fill a lineup.

We all (or at least 99% of us) begin tinkering with our lineups (as early as Tuesday morning at work), often changing it countless times throughout the week. Why can't this automated Tuesday morning lineup be the highest averaging lineup among players that are not on BYE or listed as OUT? This immediately gets the one thing that drives people nuts about quitters cleaned up.

What is the downside to this?