Quitters ruin this contest....

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Kevin....you and I have seen eye to eye on a ton of issues and I respect your opinion.
On this one though, we disagree.

My commitment to my son, pregnant wife, unborn twins (probably why I took this argument to heart), family, career, etc. far supercede my commitment to my fantasy sports cohorts.

Now understand, this is from someone who has set a lineup and picked up free agents for every one of my two dozen or so fantasy football squads every single week whether in the running or hopelessly out of it. I continue to actively participate because I feel it is the right thing to do.

Still, if something more important regarding my career or family came up on a Friday during free agency or on a Sunday/Monday when I usually set my lineup that interfered with me performing those tasks, those family/career issues would take precedence. Why.....again because I feel it is the right thing to do.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable abandoning my teams....I'm just too competitive. However, I don't begrudge others prioritizing their lives how they see fit, not how I want them to. Honestly who are we to them?

Glenn

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by GK:
I never said he was a quitter, John.

Maybe he remained active in Week 9 with FAAB, then after that knew his wife was due soon, and said "screw it" for the rest of the year?
[/QUOTE]...he's a quitter then as your second paragraph here states so, no?...GK
[/QUOTE]I was saying I never came out and said he was a quitter (using that term), Glenn.

But yes......if it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck. ;) [/QB][/quote]

lol... I use that line a lot when I actually talk to an owner to find out what happened.

But I don't call anyone out until I know 100% of the facts.and history has shown that 90% of the time, a family, work or other serious issue WAY MORE important in life than fantasy football caused the problem.

It makes me cringe when KJ (or anyone) is posting these names when he doesn't have 100% of the facts. It's just not fair to those people. [/QB][/quote]

John,

If Pete had full intention of changing his lineup, and his wife went into labor, I have ZERO problem with that. As Glenn said, he had his priorities straight.

However, as KJ Duke said, it takes 30 seconds to change to a lineup, and he can do that starting Tuesday morning.

What you are not seeing is that he didn't field a valid lineup in week 10 either, he is in last place in the league (by a good margin), and I am saying MAYBE "I'm done" entered his mind after week 9 (especially since his wife was expecting).

No, I don't know all the facts, but neither do you. ;)

Innocent until proven guilty I suppose. :D

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Kevin....you and I have seen eye to eye on a ton of issues and I respect your opinion.
On this one though, we disagree.

My commitment to my son, pregnant wife, unborn twins (probably why I took this argument to heart), family, career, etc. far supercede my commitment to my fantasy sports cohorts.

Now understand, this is from someone who has set a lineup and picked up free agents for every one of my two dozen or so fantasy football squads every single week whether in the running or hopelessly out of it. I continue to actively participate because I feel it is the right thing to do.

Still, if something more important regarding my career or family came up on a Friday during free agency or on a Sunday/Monday when I usually set my lineup that interfered with me performing those tasks, those family/career issues would take precedence. Why.....again because I feel it is the right thing to do.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable abandoning my teams....I'm just too competitive. However, I don't begrudge others prioritizing their lives how they see fit, not how I want them to. Honestly who are we to them?

Glenn So you're telling me if your wife had to go to the hosptial to deliver on a Saturday, and championship money was on the line for YOU (as opposed to someone else), you wouldn't bother setting your lineup perhaps earlier in the week just in case?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:22 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Innocent until proven guilty I suppose. :D That applies in a criminal court of law, not the court of public opinion. I will go with the law of probability until I hear otherwise. ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Kevin....I can't say until or if that time comes...

What I can tell you is what I've done in the past....

When my son was born, my wife had a horrible delivery which kept her in the hospital & then on virtual bed rest weeks after my son came home.....
Those days were spent working my 10-12 hour day, heading right to the hospital after work to spend a couple hours with my wife, then returning home to take care of my newborn alone at night.
They were exhausting days & my fantasy football team was the furthest thing from my mind. It is the one time I abandoned a team and I'm pretty sure I was in the running at the time (local league....I'm always in the running there).

Another more recent example and much more clear in my mind occurred just this summer, with me fighting for first place in my NFBC league and in the top 25 overall at the time, I had to fly out to California last minute to help close an important business deal. I didn't make time to set my lineup and it cost me as an injured player was kept in. I also was in a NFFC slow draft at the time and allowed it to go to autopick. The deal I was working on was more of a priority in my life than my fantasy leagues and by the way we got the deal.

Now if anyone would have told me they had a problem with me in either of those cases, I would have told them what they could do with their complaints.

Again, this from a diehard fantasy player as diehard as anyone here.

Glenn

[ November 24, 2009, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm

KJ , you made excellent points. the most important thing is the health of wife and baby.

now...fact : 1-invalid lineup week before this
2-could put lineup in wed night
3-bad season..big ego. excuse
4-lineup would have been in if he was in first cause baby needs new pair of shoes.

kj....where are your economy reports ? from now till end of season you have a wed night deadline. :D
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:45 pm

snake , you know me as well as anyone here. i would kill in a heartbeat for my two boyz. but i would set my lineup on wed nite and be ready to cut the cord anytime after.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...I LOVE FF more than just about anything in life BUT I learned a VERY valuable lesson recently that I knew in theory but not actual practice for about fifty years - NOTHING supercedes the health and well being of your family...so yes, while there is a STRONG comittment to NOT quit (I ABHOR quitters more than anyone as I've stated here many a time over the years) it is in reality even more important to fullfill your family emergency obligations should the need arise...so as painful and unfortunate as it might be to other owners in your league (whom I STRONGLY feel that you have an innate responsibilty for/to just as equally as you do for your OWN team as well) if an unforseen emergency situation arises it takes precedence over FF, naturally...it's really that simple...KJ, simply curious here, but are you yourself married and do you have children?...thanks much...GK Yes, I understand I am not being politically correct. I personally don't think that saying "it is my family" automatically absolves me from responsibilty to society at large. I fully understand there are things far more important than a contest, but at the same time I don't believe in making excuses that sound good and thus win public support which in reality are a cover for laziness or selfishness. Of course - a contest is not nearly as important as your family or livelihood, but really ... is every moment of everyday so fully absorbed in family critical activities that you can't take 5 minutes out of one day a week to fulfill your outside commitments? Consider me a skeptic on that 99% of the time.

Married, no kids, 3 rescued dogs and a 10-yr old brother-in-law all of whom get treated like our own kids.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:20 pm

I'll chime in to say I agree with KJ to a degree here.

I am merely 15 years married and have two great kids and have seen my share of crap.

Somehow I'd guess if the league in question were about to cash...there would have been an effort made to set a lineup. Being that he was NOT in contention...he just quit. You can insert whatever reason you want to here...but childbirth is very safe in this age, and it does not take a week to happen. :rolleyes:

You guys act like he is the first person to be playing fantasy football and have his WIFE go into labor??? I know of at least 4 fantasy football players whose wives gave birth this summer. No excuses. Srebro's family had major hard times and yet he still remained active in baseball.

Give me a break! With the amount of teams that play high stakes FFB...this happens every summer!

Going into labor is now supposed to be somehow more life threatening and new and more dangerouse than 5 years ago?

Please. Stop making excuses for the guy. He quit to focus on other more important things.

He quit.

[ November 25, 2009, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver