2012 Playoff Proposal - too inclusive?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:55 am

The following playoff structure was proposed this week. It garnered a lot of support, myself included. The primary criticism, which I tend to agree with, is that it allows too many teams into the league playoff. Many are in favor of 4 teams rather than 6.

The proposal, posted by KOQ, is as follows:

* 13-week season, with a 3-week league playoffs coinciding with a 3-week overall championship

* The above three teams, along with 3 additional teams, will play in Weeks 14-16 for the League Championship. The additional three teams will be the top remaining point scorer, followed by the best two remaining H2H records. These three additional teams will NOT qualify for the Overall Championship.

1. H2H (overall/league)
2. Points (overall/league)
3. Points (overall/league)
4. Points (league)
5. H2H (league)
6. H2H (league)

* The 6 league playoff teams will all set lineups for Week 14. The two teams (excluding seeds 1 and 2) with the worst scores in Week 14 are eliminated from the league playoffs. The four remaining teams will set lineups in Weeks 15 and 16, and will achieve a 3 week scoring total. The team with the most points during this 3-week stretch is the League Champion.

[ December 03, 2011, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 am

Suppose we tweak the league playoff such that only the top 3 teams in either total points or H2H record qualify for the league playoff, rather than automatically having 6 teams seeded by points and record?

The playoff teams using one of my classic leagues as an example would look like this:

H2H standings
DaKolts (11-1), 1543.2
Pimpin' Trigger Jr (8-4), 1727
WAYMORE BLUZE (8-4), 1688.05

Points Standings
Pimpin' Trigger Jr (8-4), 1727
WAYMORE BLUZE (8-4), 1688.05
DaKolts (11-1), 1543.2

In this case, since the top three in points also are the top three based on record, only 3 teams would advance to the league playoff. However, because the top 3 in each category is guaranteed a playoff spot many teams would stay in the race deep into the season, without having to guarantee that a large number of teams actually qualify.

As few as three, or as many as six would qualify. But everyone would know that if they’re among the top three in either category they’ll lock down a playoff spot.

The other change I would make to KOQ’s proposal would be to dump the 1-week elimination of the bottom two teams from week 14, which seems arbitrary. In only rare cases would 6 teams qualify for the playoffs anyway.

For the overall playoff, which is designed to be more exclusive, only the top 2 teams in either category would qualify. In the league example above, three teams would make the overall championship (while the number could range from 2 to 4 across different leagues, although 4 would be rare).

To sum up.

* The top team in both points and record would win money after week 13. If the same team was best in both, that team would sweep the regular season money.

* The top 2 teams in points and record would qualify for the overall championship. If the top 2 in points and record are the same teams, only 2 would qualify.

* The top 3 teams in points and record would qualify for the league championship. If the top 3 in points and record are the same teams, only 3 would qualify.

[ December 03, 2011, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:57 am

I don't know if it makes me a chum chum or a dumdum but I think that is a more fair idea. It doesn't just throw six teams in. You would have to earn your way in!
Pat Sorge

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 am

This is the best proposal yet. I like it much better than the automatic 6 team proposal.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 am

I also like it ,letting more teams hang around trying to get that last playoff spot is good for the nffc.It's time to make a change and really like this one.I am not a member of the Chum Chum club but they do have some good idea's always tweaking things for the better.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:33 am

I won't play in anything that adds teams to the mix based on record. If I'm not one of the top scoring teams I have no problem not cashing.
If I am one of the top scoring teams then we add teams to further randomize the playoffs and I don't cash...I have a big problem with that.

Why do we feel the need to keep 3 more teams interested and happy through the playoffs?

I just don't get it. Elimination is part of the season. It's going to happen...it cannot be avoided.

Make sure the top scoring teams get paid. That's the only priority here IMO.

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

Originally posted by Route C:
I won't play in anything that adds teams to the mix based on record. If I'm not one of the top scoring teams I have no problem not cashing.
If I am one of the top scoring teams then we add teams to further randomize the playoffs and I don't cash...I have a big problem with that.

Why do we feel the need to keep 3 more teams interested and happy through the playoffs?

I just don't get it. Elimination is part of the season. It's going to happen...it cannot be avoided.

Make sure the top scoring teams get paid. That's the only priority here IMO. I agree with the above comment for the Classic. The Classic at 14 teams and level of competition is the premier fantasy challenge. Pay the top scoring teams.
These playoff formats mentioned in this thread do have a lot to offer, but for me in the online championship. Six teams out of twelve in the playoffs in a $350 online league sounds good. With an online league you really don't know what you get with league mates as compared to the live draft. Keep more people interested maybe.

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Originally posted by Route C:

Make sure the top scoring teams get paid. That's the only priority here IMO. Jeff - I agree with you. What's next, maybe in a couple years 8 teams making the playoffs will be the rage!!!!

Why don't people just give up fantasy football and play slot machines. Almost the same odds and better paybacks.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:19 pm

1000000% agree with Route C... We don't need more teams in contention, this isn't grade school where everyone plays, this is high stakes, best of the best, lets keep it that way.

There is just NO WAY more teams should play for money based on record. KJ, your team Zefurs.oc is in 613th place in the overall standings in the online championship but until last week was going to win money and go to the championship round, still can with a W and a Nemesis L this week... if you can't see how lucky that is then I can't explain it to you

I'm all for discussing rule changes / bettering leagues but having more lucky teams (record) play skill teams (points) for the money isn't a good change in my opinion. Greg and Tom have a great setup as is

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Greg has said many times that H2H will always be a component of these events. However, tweaking KOQ/Greg's proposal as suggested would reduce the number of teams qualifying based on H2H.

So the question here is would you prefer (a) 3 guaranteed H2H playoff spots or, (b) up to 3 (which would be very unlikely as it would mean that none of the top 3 scoring teams were among the top 3 in Wins) and possibly 0 qualifying based on H2H alone (if the top 3 scoring teams also had the best record).

Without going thru and analyzing all of the leagues, my guess would be that along with the 3 teams qualifying on points there would be:
* one additional team qualifying based on record in most lges
* either 0 or 2 qualifying on record in a few lges, and
* in the most unusual circumstances (maybe once every few years) 3 qualifying based on record.

[ December 03, 2011, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]