Michael Jenkins FAAB

GOD Loves You

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by GOD Loves You » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Ok, so Manning makes his WRs better than they are, but Steve Smith makes his QB better than he is? Exactly, they are both studs and studs elevate the play of others.

You've got to be kidding me about Rice still being a stud. You have nothing to prove this would be the case. Actually I kinda do. In 1986 Montana went down with an injury the opening game of the season. Jeff Kemp(who??) started 8 games for the 49ers that year. I don't have a game by game log to show exactly how Rice got his production....but the results are listed below.

7th most catches in career.
2nd most yards in career.
3rd(tie) most TD's in career.

Montana missed half the season and Rice proceeded to have close to career highs in 3 major categories...I'm sure a lot of the production did occur when Montana was in the lineup, but Kemp did throw 3 more TD's with 107 fewer attempts.

Rice was a stud because he was a stud. It didn't matter who was playing QB...Montana, Kemp, Young, Gannon...he got it done with everybody...and no, I'm not a big fan of his.

Otherwise Steve Smith would be making David Carr a monster!It's been one game, against a defense that's been playing very well....give him some time before you make any judgements. Carr was able to help a WR get over 100 receptions just last season......(I know Carr stinks)

What I am saying is that Wayne and Harrison are the starters for the Colts because they are better than the other WRs on the Colts.Thank you Captain Hoo..err..I mean Obvious!! Other than my moniker, this has to be the most truthful statement EVER on the mb's. :D

It pisses me off when people say Wayne is not an elite WR. Noone knows what he would be like without Manning. So, to discredit his ability without this knowledge is just rediculous. Yep, that's because the line has never given us an opportunity. He's obviously an elite WR, but some of us have the opinion that....as it is with a ton of WR2...Wayne greatly benefits from having a HOF WR on the other side, a HOF QB, a good offensive line, and above all...continuity.
BTW, you spelled ridiculous wrong.

To give you another example of a stud being a
stud....in 2005, the Rams lost Bulger the 6th game of the year. He was replaced by Jamie Martin AND Ryan Fitzpatrick.

With Bulger
7.6 receptions per game
113.6 ypg
.08 td's per game

Without Bulger
7.25 receptions per game
74.1 yards per game
.06 td's per game

Keep in mind, Holt injured his knee midway through the season and played through it after missing two games. With two scrubs playing QB over half the season, Holt proceeded to have.....
2nd most receptions in career
3rd most yards per game in career
4th most td's in career.

I know he hasn't played long, so the above stats are a little skewed compared to the Rice example, but it seems apt IMO. A stud WR is a stud WR, regardless of the QB.

Now, if only Manning would get injured so I could show you the flip side of what I'm talking about.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

GOD Loves You

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by GOD Loves You » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:09 pm

I, too, coached and played football. So, I have this extra perception that you speak of.

Pee wee football doesn't count, nor does Madden.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

williamhare

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by williamhare » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:09 pm

GLY's on a roll and ready to take on all comers!!
Your research dept has been busy Patrick. Your examples hold water for sure.
HMan83

RI WORKHORSE

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:

I, too, coached and played football. So, I have this extra perception that you speak of.

Pee wee football doesn't count, nor does Madden.
[/QUOTE]Madden doesn't count???????

Come on!!!!!
I.W
Johnny Frisella

RI WORKHORSE

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Originally posted by Hman83:
GLY's on a roll and ready to take on all comers!!
Your research dept has been busy Patrick. Your examples hold water for sure.
HMan83 HMan!!!!!!!!

Whats up!!!!! :D

It was good to meet ya in tampa :D

Your MB3 pick in the DC looks pretty good.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

williamhare

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by williamhare » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:08 pm

The Brees and McAllister picks were spot on too!

Get some sleep now JJ. You have a stressful day planned for tomorrow, right?
HMan83

RI WORKHORSE

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Hman83:
The Brees and McAllister picks were spot on too!

Get some sleep now JJ. You have a stressful day planned for tomorrow, right?
HMan83 It's always stressful on Sundays :D But this is my toughest week of the year tomorrow.

You can't help What happen with the saints. I am still a Saints fan. They will pick it up. Love brees and colston. No one would of thought the saints would be this bad :confused:
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Diesel

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by Diesel » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:39 pm

For the record, I had the second highest bid for Jenkins (179)...Gekko got him instead.

I have Javon Walker OUT. Marvin Harrison OUT. Kevin Curtis OUT. I NEED a WR. Gekko got Jenkins. I got Dante Stallworth. I'm willing to gamble with Stallworth. He's better than what I have now which is nothing.

My second WR that I picked up was A. Moorehead. I pick him up to fill in for my injured WR's and he pulls his back out in practice yesterday...LOL...These injuries are freakin' ridiculous.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

pizzatyme

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:27 am

GLY, you use 1986 as your measuring stick, okay.

Did you realize the WR2 that year had 106 :eek: receiving yards for the entire season? I'd say Rice was getting the ball no matter what. Yes, he was dominant then. They also had Dwight Clark. He had 794 yards.

Montana in 8 games that year threw for 2236 yards. Kemp threw for 1554. So, I'm going to make a guess that a fair chunk of the greatest WR in the history of football's yards came from Joe Montana (a pretty decent QB)

There is no doubt that Rice is a stud, but to pull out one of his best years doesn't paint a clear picture. To be fair, here is how he performed the year before and after 1986, a magical year:

1985- 927 Rec. yards 3 TDs
1987- 1078 yards 22 Tds :eek: He averaged 1TD for every 3 catches that year.

As for Tory Holt, yes, he did what you said. But also that particular year, Isaac Bruce only played in 11 games. So, I'd think it safe to say, they were Keying on Holt moreso than Holt was getting his regardless.

Look, you've tried to use 2 weak examples to make your point. For every Jerry Rice and Tory Holt you mention, I can mention several other "studs" who didn't get theirs until they were in the right situation.

I've already mentioned Kitna.
Other studs who had to be in the right situation to "get theirs":

Priest Holmes
Most any Broncos RB over the last 10 years
Randy Moss

Don't go dissin my man Reggie Wayne!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

dobberlins

Michael Jenkins FAAB

Post by dobberlins » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 am

Don't forget 2001 and 2002...he was 39 and 40 years old...

Rice had 83 catches for 1139 yards and 9 TDs
and then 92 catches for 1211 yards and 7 TDs

with Gannon (good, but no HOF QB)

Yes, lots of players are benefactors of their surroundings, but GLY is right with Rice - the guy was going to be a stud no matter who was throwing to him.