Roster Size...

lichtman

Roster Size...

Post by lichtman » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:52 am

I'd have to say that drafters at the top faced similar problems when their 2nd round picks came around. I picked 4 and didn't feel there was better than a late 3rd/early 4th round back available when it came back to me.

I thought more about the WR/RB debate, and I think that it all depends on position. People drafting at the bottome of the first round probably were better off RB/RB than someone at the top.

In my home league (with some guppies) 14-teams seems a lot more manageable. The combo of top-notch competition and 14 teams makes NFFC really tough. And I'm not embarrassed to say that I would probably enjoy it more if it were a little easier!

[ September 23, 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: I Cojones ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:52 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
The drafters in the late positions seem definately to be in a lose/lose situation. It might not be lose/lose, but the deck is stacked against you. You MUST get lucky to win.

In a 12 team league many strategies become viable. Still making good points...

Yes, injuries can take the advantage from the early drafters, but do I want to pay big bucks and hope for injuries to happen to others so I can start their backups?Another good one...

Maybe 2 points per reception for WRs will change the dynamic.?That's where you lose it. Hope you're not serious.

I don't feel that 14 team leagues create a situation where you can win from any draft psoition. I do believe you can win from any draft position in a 12 team league. Back on track again. I agree with almost everything you said. Overall grade of post = B+
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:57 am

Originally posted by I Cojones:
The combo of top-notch competition and 14 teams makes NFFC really tough. And I'm not embarrassed to say that I would probably enjoy it more if it were a little easier! Don't be embarrassed, there are probably others who feel as you do. Although "easier" might not be the right word to use, I do agree.

JerseyPaul

Roster Size...

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:06 am

Thanks Gordon. The thought about WR scoring was directional. If 14 teams remains, there must be a real incentive to take non-RBs in rounds 1 and 2. Doing that opens up strategies other than stud RB.

If the league size isn't changed, it must be done through scoring changes. I leave it for further analysis to see what those changes might be.

Some thoughts: Changes to QB scoring are irrelevant as it won't change the relative position of QBs (much) and therefore QBs will generally be taken late. Adding QBs to the flex, however, widely changes the game. Requiring 2 QBs is another way to make a huge impact on drafting but, unfortunately, there just aren't enough active QBs on bye weeks to allow that in 14 team leagues.

Another solution is to go to 1 RB, 3 WR and 2 Flex.

Changing the pts per reception or the points per yard gained (e.g. 1 for 7 instead of 1 for 10) is another way to increase the spread but I don't think it's enough to make a fundamental change. I think the starting roster solution is better (only 1 RB starter required).

da bears

Roster Size...

Post by da bears » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:26 am

True there is an advantage to drafting early, but overall team depth is the key in winning this league (and of course a lot of luck and few injuries). I drafted from the 13th position in LV4 and currently am 38 in the overall standings. I went with rbs (barlow and westbrook) with my first two picks and wrs with the the next two (horn and s.moss). For me it would have been foolish to draft a top wr in the first two rounds because of the lack of quality rbs. The chances of a quality rb being left by end of the third round are very slim. So i went with a safe strategy and was still able to pick up 2 top 15 wrs in rounds 3 and 4.

My overall team includes

QBs: Brooks, Grossman
Rbs: Westbrook, Barlow, Stephen Jackson, Artsoe pinner
Wrs.: Horn, S. moss, keary colbert , d.givens,a.davis, bryant johnson reche caldwell
Te: LJ Smith
D: Dolphins and Bills
K: Jay feely

I may not win the overall title, but have a pretty good shot at competing for my league title. Plus most fantasy leagues are won by players that have surprise seasons that the experts didnt predict to have.
Bauler Shot Caller

ultimatefs

Roster Size...

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:29 am

I have run 50-60 leagues each year using 14 teams for the past 20 years.

During that period, we have used between 18-21 players per roster.

The FA lists in the one year leagues with 20 right now look exactly the same as they do in our 18. Why? About 26-28 of those extra spots in my 20 are for 2nd TE's, K's, D's to cover bye weeks.

They aren't for the J.Sowell's and Tim Carter's.

After years and years of debating this, it really has made no difference. And I'm one that use to fight hard for lower (18) roster sizes.

Now 14-man rosters would make a huge differnce. And I'm dead set against that. That draft would mean very little with an extra 56 players in the pool. You could easily pick up serviceable bye week players for a $1 each week.

Griffith, Sowell, K.Watson atop RB
Tim Carter, Curry, Wilford, Conway atop WR.

The lists are the basically the same.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Roster Size...

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:33 am

p.s.

I have played in 10-12-14 team leagues.

10-12 are all star leagues. A true test of one's ability is not fully tested.

In a 14-team league, you are truly tested and win you win, you have really accomplished something.

I think this is one of the main reasons why my biz has made it 20 years, even in the face of free leagues on Yahoo and others.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

da bears

Roster Size...

Post by da bears » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:37 am

Thats true UFS, I like the challenge of trying to win a 14-team league and feel no changes in roster size or team number is needed. But a change in scoring as Jersey Paul suggested could help level the playing field.
Bauler Shot Caller

JerseyPaul

Roster Size...

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:48 am

The more I think about it, the more I like the same league size, the same roster size, but...

1RB, 3WR, 2Flex

Thoughts on that?

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:04 am

The more I think about it, the more I like the same league size, the same roster size, but...

1RB, 3WR, 2Flex

Thoughts on that? no. stop changing stories. you are losing credibility.