Roster Size...

shoofster

Roster Size...

Post by shoofster » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:44 am

We were one team (Chicago #1 pk 6)that decided in the first round to take the WR when our top 5 rated RB's went. Then, as the mad run for RB's continued we again decided in favor of the WR as a value based selection over a RB. In rd 3 we really figured the RB frenzy would subside a bit and we would get adequate RB's with the 4th and 5th pick so we again took a value based pick..another WR. We finally got Dunn (4th) who we felt would do very well in the WCO and E Smith (7th) handcuffed with Scobey. Settled for 3rd down RB Kevin Faulk and a promising stud in Hollings. May not work out but we were one of the few that refused to get caught up in the feeding frenzy for RB's. Thus we have R Moss, H Ward, S Smith (inj), W Dunn, T Heap (inj), R Wayne (6th), E Smith, J Delhome as our core. As you can see we have not avoided injuries either. Avoided bye week trouble to insure we're not giving one week away. As i said on an earlier post, we might be the litmus test for the WR vs RB strategy. We are 3-0 but have been the beneficaries of opponents who have posted low scoring weeks so hard to say till the final day dawns.
New Day Dawning

skipman

Roster Size...

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:09 am

Seems like the discussion is getting down to the brass tacks. Here is my input on the most recent postings:

1. Gekko is right on roster size, you can't go to 20 player with 14 man league. It would dry up the Free Agent market notably.

2. Draft Position: I was the #3 pick. But, I may be one of the few that would prefer to draft in the lower positions. If trading of draft spots was allowed. I would have certainly shopped it around.

3. Bye Weeks: Covering your bye weeks is part of the draft day and free agent strategy. I know we looked at bye weeks as part of the consideration regarding which player to draft.

4. Depth of Talent in 14 man league: I think everyone wishes they had more depth. Our team is current ranked #5 in total points and we certainly wouldn't mind upgrading a few positions.

dgamblnman

Roster Size...

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:10 am

Greg, I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I did suggest having a minimum roster of 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 2K and 2DEF. So many of the extra 2 roster spots would come from Ks,DEF, and TEs positions. So the FAs that were avaialable would still be there regardless if it was 18 or 20 man rosters.

So this should be looked like this, it's not the number of FAs available, it should be the quality of FAs available. I am quite sure there are many teams that have only 1 player from each "secondary" position (TE,K,DEF). So my proposal would decrease the number of FAs overall, but it would not affect the number of quality FA available.

I don't know if anyone has the time, but go through your league and see how many teams are shorted at postions (TE,K,DEF) and see how many FAs would have come from these postions to reach the 20 man roster.

In my league, out of the 28 extra roster spots at a roster of 20, 16 would have had to go to a secondary position. So 12 FAs would have been available for drafting and the chances are, they would have been handcuffs still in the FA pool right now. I know there are several players I want that are FAs but don't have the room.

skipman

Roster Size...

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:15 am

Greg,

If you have the time, I would like to know the draft positions of the current top 25 teams. This may prove you point or it may flame the fires depending on the breakdown.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:22 am

Originally posted by skipman:
Greg,

If you have the time, I would like to know the draft positions of the current top 25 teams. This may prove you point or it may flame the fires depending on the breakdown. RANK TEAM Slot
1 Team NEW 13
2 Big Mac Attack 13
3 Mass Destruction 11
4 Heavy Metal 2
5 Lumpy's Losers 3
6 Steel City 9
7 Team Johnson 6
8 Sackofpotatoes 3
9 fantasyjungle.com 12
10 Bling Bling 5
11 Team Thompson 12
12 Pocket Aces 14
13 Athens Assassins 8
14 FresnoFanaticsFB 4
15 JUNKIES DILEMNA 1
16 New Day Dawning 6
17 Route Collectors 7
18 Team Jensen 4
19 SpearmintRhino 5
19 PAPA NEEDS NEW SHOES 2
21 Grizzly Glaze 1
22 Ponch & John 1
23 Lightstreet Lightning 14
24 Louisiana Lightning 8
25 Harry in the Hall 5
AVERAGE SLOT 6.8
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:24 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
I did suggest having a minimum roster of 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 2K and 2DEF. i don't like having constraints.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:26 am

3. Bye Weeks: Covering your bye weeks is part of the draft day and free agent strategy. I know we looked at bye weeks as part of the consideration regarding which player to draft. you have 18 players on your roster. There are 9 bye weeks. So, once the bye weeks start, on average you have 2 players missing, unless you drop them for non-bye players. On average it's two players, some weeks it could be 0 and others weeks it could be 4. if you are a "good" drafter, the players you are dropping to cover bye weeks are talented.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:27 am

2. Draft Position: I was the #3 pick. But, I may be one of the few that would prefer to draft in the lower positions. If trading of draft spots was allowed. I would have certainly shopped it around. i have a possible solution for this. call it a Gekko Exclusive. if i have the time tonight, i'll start a new thread and throw it out to you guys for review.

dgamblnman

Roster Size...

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:39 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
I did suggest having a minimum roster of 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 2K and 2DEF. i don't like having constraints. [/QUOTE]Gordon, it is not a contraint, it's what we have now except you'll have backups for your TE and K

Besides, didn't to want a bigger roster too at one point?

skipman

Roster Size...

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:46 am

can't wait for the Gekko exclusive. I sense that it may involve so sort of free market valuations for various draft positions.