Very interesting primetime situation

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Less intrigue than the Q debacle, but similar ... Primtime, I am right now a close 2nd in points and 2nd in W/L record, and if nothing changes in week 13 would miss the league playoff game. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago. Sounds like the Q and C&D league could end the same way.

I wonder if a 3-team league playoff over weeks 14-16 in such a case (where the 3rd place team actually finishes 2nd in both points and record) would be a good idea? You'll have to ask the teams that finish first in h2h and total points if they think a three-way playoff is a good idea!! :D Winning h2h title and having most total points is quite an accomplishment even if split by two teams. Finishing second both ways is quite an accomplishment too, but ...... ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am

In the famous Boston league that has seen it all' teams not showing up for the draft and another team who accused others of collusion well there is still some drama left.There is a team in 3rd place that has to lose to the first place team to get into the playoff.If he does this and he has a 25 point lead over the team in 2nd which he has to beat in total points for the 3rd playoff spot.This is insane as he still need's points but has to lose to get in. Insane. :eek:
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Sack

Post by Sack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 am

I manage my team in the manner that BEST helps my chances to cash a bigger check. If it ruffles feathers or causes a stir - so be it. Wouldn't hesitate to drop a game if it helped me long term. Easy call.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 am

crazy. im glad other leagues have that problem. how do you avoid that in the future. at least im the guy he has to lose to. :D :D but i have to put up pts to beat dt out. thats my main concern.

[ December 03, 2010, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
In the famous Boston league that has seen it all' teams not showing up for the draft and another team who accused others of collusion well there is still some drama left.There is a team in 3rd place that has to lose to the first place team to get into the playoff.If he does this and he has a 25 point lead over the team in 2nd which he has to beat in total points for the 3rd playoff spot.This is insane as he still need's points but has to lose to get in. Insane. :eek: I can only imagine if Donny were to miss the playoffs due to someone having to lose. It would not be good for his well being so I hope it isn't him involved:)

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
crazy. im glad other leagues have that problem. how do you avoid that in the future. at least im the guy he has to lose to. :D :D but i have to put up pts to beat dt out. thats my main concern. I'm not sure you try to avoid this. It sounds like a very interesting and strategic part of the current game in place. It also seems more exciting than just plugging a lineup in and letting go. Good luck ... just take advantage of having more fun and excitement with these situations.
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
quote:Originally posted by Eddiejag:
In the famous Boston league that has seen it all' teams not showing up for the draft and another team who accused others of collusion well there is still some drama left.There is a team in 3rd place that has to lose to the first place team to get into the playoff.If he does this and he has a 25 point lead over the team in 2nd which he has to beat in total points for the 3rd playoff spot.This is insane as he still need's points but has to lose to get in. Insane. :eek: I can only imagine if Donny were to miss the playoffs due to someone having to lose. It would not be good for his well being so I hope it isn't him involved:) [/QUOTE]Someone should understand why a team is acting in their own best interest. Any reasonable person would surely understand that. I assume Donny would insist on teams acting in their self interest after his recent concern and outburst that he felt some teams were not doing just that.
Hakuna Matata!

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

hey budd. i got dt 4 pts in back of me. got to score as much as i can. he makes out with me winning so he cant complain. he locks first or second. thanks for your thoughts though.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Less intrigue than the Q debacle, but similar ... Primtime, I am right now a close 2nd in points and 2nd in W/L record, and if nothing changes in week 13 would miss the league playoff game. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago. Sounds like the Q and C&D league could end the same way.

I wonder if a 3-team league playoff over weeks 14-16 in such a case (where the 3rd place team actually finishes 2nd in both points and record) would be a good idea? You'll have to ask the teams that finish first in h2h and total points if they think a three-way playoff is a good idea!! :D Winning h2h title and having most total points is quite an accomplishment even if split by two teams. Finishing second both ways is quite an accomplishment too, but ...... ;)
[/QUOTE]Well, in such a situation I'm beating one of those teams in points, and I'm beating the other in W/L record ... they both move on and my team or Q's team or whoever is in that unfortunate 2nd/2nd position does not.

Seems to me the best way to find out which team is best if over the final 3-seasons since it really is a round-robin type of situation ...

Tm A 9-4 2000 pts
Tm B 7-6 2020 pts
Tm C 8-5 2010 pts

Do Tms A and B really look superior to Tm C in your judgement Greg?

Whether it is my team or one of the teams I am battling in position C, I would call the above a 3-way toss-up worthy of a 3-way playoff.

[ December 03, 2010, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:13 am

Yup KJ, three deserving teams. One gets left out, which sucks to be that team. Unless you expand the playoffs to three teams someone deserving would get left out in your above example. But that's why we have wild cards, to make sure that really deserving teams get in.

This is all a great discussion. I like our playoff formats and I'm glad we don't have one week league playoff matchups for the big money. I can't imagine playing last week for big bucks after a successful regular season and then seeing CJ and Gore and other top stars stumble in Week 12.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius