Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:04 pm

Originally posted by Z-Men:

Give every owner $500 to bid on draft slots. Any dollars left over after such bidding will be added to the $1000 we initially begin with. This prevents your worry about those "wild" owners.

To put it differently, everyone starts with $1500 bidding money but can bid no more than $500 on a draft slot.

-z- [/QB]I don't get this. I mean, I get it but how would it be better? Seems like it only caps spending which would benefit who? Again - this is a serious question, not a sarcastic comment.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:15 pm

Here's an idea:

Give every owner $500 to bid on draft slots. Any dollars left over after such bidding will be added to the $1000 we initially begin with. This prevents your worry about those "wild" owners.

To put it differently, everyone starts with $1500 bidding money but can bid no more than $500 on a draft slot.
no...no...no

stop trying to make this more complicated than it is. you can use $1000 on draft slot bidding and/or FA pickups. you decide.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Gordon, I believe you posted earlier that the KD method is MORE unfair than the current system. Given a choice of ONLY the current system and KD, can you tell me why you feel this way? my preferences:
1) blind bidding on draft slots
2) current method (all random)

KD isn't even an option. as i've stated numerous times between the nffc and nfbc MB) awarding the first owner their first (and best) preference, and then awarding the 14th owner whatever trash is left is unfair to the 14th owner. that is an easy one. KD is fundamentally unfair.

either give EVERYONE the same opportunity to bid on the slots they want or give EVERYONE the same 100% randomly assigned draft slots. there is no middle ground. sorry

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:27 pm

I'm in 100% agreement with you here, GG. KD is nice for the $50 homer league but not here.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:27 pm

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
[QUOTE]Remember, some leagues may have crazy owners who spend wildly for draft spots, allowing other owners to accumulate all of the good free agent pickups. That might tip the scales towards a few teams in the overall contest because not everyone was playing from the same level of competition. Using in-season FAAB for draft slots does have that drawback, which nobody has brought up yet. Here's an idea:

-z-
[/QUOTE]Guaranteed you'd have at least 5 $500 bids for #1 in every league ... and then what? random draw to see who gets their pick. lol. C'mon, lets not treat contestants like babies, if they want to screw themselves by bidding $1000, let them live and learn the hard way. Likewise, if they need to be coddled with 100% rule familiarity, they won't be quality repeat customers, they'll be one-timers and out - not the kind of customer you build a business on.

As for Greg's concern - would it then be unfair if somone bids wildly that everyone else in the lge gets a better selection of FA's from there on?

No, because the guy that bids $1000 for a slot is probaly better off having LT than he is wasting $900 on Frisman Jackson in week 1 - you know it's the same impulsive guy(s). I think the lges would end up more balanced.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:30 pm

my preferences:

1-blind bidding for draft slots.
2-KD Style
3-Cage Match
4-current method
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
3-Cage Match
lol!

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:44 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
my preferences:

1-blind bidding for draft slots.
2-KD Style
3-Cage Match
4-current method At 6' 7", 350 lbs ... I think Diesel is on to something here! I vote Cage Match. :D
Hakuna Matata!

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Z-Men:
Here's an idea:

no...no...no

stop trying to make this more complicated than it is. you can use $1000 on draft slot bidding and/or FA pickups. you decide.
[/QUOTE]It's not complicated. It's a lot like the Unified Gift Tax and Estate Tax. If you give gifts of more than $10,000 in 1 year to an individual or entity, the amount over $10,000 is decreased from your lifetime Estate Tax exemption. Of course both you and your spouse can each give $10,000. The total amount of the Unified deduction changes each year until 2010 when it goes away and goes to zero unless the Congress reinstates it.

See, it's actually really easy.

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Ironically, I agree entirely with you guys in that my last post isn't as good as just letting people bid from their initial 1000 dollar allotment. I only recommended it in response to Greg Ambrosius being afraid of the "crazy owners" who'd bid like crazy on draft slots. Hey, I agree, let those crazy people do their bidding. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)