Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

yomop1212

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by yomop1212 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:13 pm

I agree renman.
All we are asking is to grab a $1 defense or kicker. Who is affected by that?

dobberlins

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by dobberlins » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I hope the decision isn't to make it a Week 2 bye. If that's the ruling, I'm not sure we have any choice but to say if you can't replace a player (or players), you take a 0 at that position. I REALLY hope we can avoid that for obvious reasons. Tom, that's what will happen to me. I understand the ruling, no hard feelings. Just the "luck" of the draft...glad it wasn't worse for the people in the region.

As far as the game, you have to expect the NFL to make the decision that benefits the wallets the most.

Greg Ambrosius

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 pm

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans' home game against the Baltimore Ravens, previously scheduled for Monday night, has been postponed until Nov. 9 because of hurricane-related damage to Reliant Stadium, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Hurricane Ike, which made landfall early Saturday at Galveston as a severe Category 2 storm, also caused extensive damage throughout Houston, including the retractable roof at Reliant Stadium.

The Nov. 9 game will be held during the Ravens' bye week. According to league sources, the Texans' home game against the Cincinnati Bengals, originally scheduled for Nov. 9, will be moved to Oct. 26, which was the bye week for both of those teams.

The storm tore chunks off the stadium's retractable roof and the damage can't be fixed in time to host the game, said Shea Guinn, president and general manager of Reliant Park.

"There is no way this stadium will host a game on Monday night," Guinn said Saturday. "There are parts of the roof that are completely gone."

The retractable roof on the $352 million venue rolls open in nine sections. Guinn said five of the sections were missing and large pieces of debris had fallen into the stadium.

"It's hard to tell what came from where," Guinn said.

The game, originally scheduled for Sunday, was moved to Monday earlier in the week as Ike approached the area.

The field is not scheduled to host another game until Oct. 5, but Guinn said he wasn't sure when repairs could be completed. He said the stadium also sustained some water damage at street level.

Reliant Stadium sits next to the Astrodome. Guinn said Saturday that he had not yet inspected the dome for storm damage. The Texans' air-supported practice "bubble" across the street was deflated on Thursday and was not damaged, Guinn said.

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, the supervisor of the county's hurricane cleanup efforts, planned to visit Reliant Stadium and survey the damage later Saturday.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. It's unbelievable that the NFL didn't think this one through enough to reschedule this game in San Antonio or Atlanta for this weekend. They are so concerned with the Texans not losing home game revenue that they tried to beat Hurricane Ike rather than play it safe for everyone involved and move everything to another stadium for this weekend. Now they are moving two teams to later bye weeks and moving another team's bye week. Unreal and honestly not a good reflection on Commissioner Goodell.

If the NFL is moving this game to a later date, that game will be played at that time and count during that week's timeframe. Nobody expected a Week 2 bye for these two teams, but there is nothing in our rules that allows us to run a second FAAB 12-18 hours before NFL kickoff and no legal reason to allow that to happen. It's an unfortunate break for everyone involved and teams will unfortunately have to play Week 2 with the rosters they have right now. The Houston-Baltimore game will count in the week that it plays. I trust most if not all other contests have rules that rule the same way.

Good luck all and our prayers are with everyone in the path of Hurricane Ike.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Originally posted by Like Tiger on Sunday:
I agree renman.
All we are asking is to grab a $1 defense or kicker. Who is affected by that? I am. I drafted with a plan. I have players on my bench who I am PLANNING on waiting for because I have a WR who was scheduled to play week #2. Now he is not. What do I do, watch you get a Defense and kicker while I have to sit with a zero for my WR?

I had a draft and FAAB plan and so did you. Why do you get preferred treatment and not I?

For the record, I am not impacted in the NFFC leagues, but this is a real scenario.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Captain Hook

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:19 pm

There are no easy answers - everyone has a different perspective.

But even taking a zero in one league and having to sub in a scrub in another, I think it is the right decision to just go on without some special case pickups. Those of us who had some players who would be impacted by this had more information about it than those who for instance might have a kicker in the Pittsburgh-Cleveland game that might be played in heavy wind and rain. It is the "natural" breaks of the game and we can't legislate fixes for all of them.

I hope all the major FF contests take the same position.

yomop1212

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by yomop1212 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Greg, Tom,

EVERY owner of a kicker or Defense in the Ravens game knows its postponed. Adding a 2nd FAAB would not be hard at all. Im surprised you guys are going about it this way. I truly believe it is unfair.

Jeff

slack90

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by slack90 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 pm

There are 2 seperate issues here.

#1 how we handle this week; I dont think there is any way to reopen the waiver process w/o everyone knowing. I know it sucks for some people but these are the rules. there are no built in exceptions to reopen them if a game is cancelled etc.

#2 The future; i have strongly felt even before this that it's a poor system to not allow $1 pickups on a 1st come 1st serve basis after the regular waiver pickups. Every other league Im in allows a seconf waiver process on 1st come 1st serve basis. id like to hear from Greg and Tom why this l;eague doesnt use that process?

JB

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by JB » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:
Does this open up the possibility of have a first-come-first-served FA period after the FAAB period?

What is the downfall? Everyone would theoretically have the same opportunity to every player.

Then, we aren't even having this discussion.

ETA, I'm talking about 2009 forward. I don't think a lot of people would like this. There are many people who don't check on football news from Friday afternoon till Sunday morning. This would give a big advantage to people that checked injury status/depth chart changes 10x/day on Friday-Sun morning. I wouldn't mind it but I'm just saying I think the majority would be against it. The FFOC does it.

pizzatyme

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Originally posted by JB:
quote:Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:
Does this open up the possibility of have a first-come-first-served FA period after the FAAB period?

What is the downfall? Everyone would theoretically have the same opportunity to every player.

Then, we aren't even having this discussion.

ETA, I'm talking about 2009 forward. I don't think a lot of people would like this. There are many people who don't check on football news from Friday afternoon till Sunday morning. This would give a big advantage to people that checked injury status/depth chart changes 10x/day on Friday-Sun morning. I wouldn't mind it but I'm just saying I think the majority would be against it. The FFOC does it.
[/QUOTE]For the moeny we are putting up, I would think as long as the rules are the same for all, then you either pay attention or you don't.

But, I understand your point.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

BillyWaz

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by Superpion:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
my guess is that if the game doesn't take place this week, any texan or raven gets ZERO points. As much as I do not want to admit it, you might be right about this. I have Schaub, A. Johnson, Daniels, McGahee, Rice on my NFFC main event team. I can't even field 3 WR's playing in wcoff if this happens. [/QUOTE]...the SNAKEsquad would be left without a Kicker on BOTH Main teams as he has Kris Brown...UNACCEPTABLE & UNFAIR are two words that quickly come to mind here...SNAKE
[/QUOTE]Damn Snake, I wouldn't mind being the lucky sonofabitch to play ONE of those Main teams this week.
[/QUOTE]YOU are playing SNAKE in BOTH leagues this week - BOTH MAINS - that's two easy W's for you as the SNAKEsquad has Andre, Ray Rice and WORST OF ALL FLIPPIN' KRIS BROWN ON BOTH MAIN SQUADS!...SNAKE
[/QUOTE]In all fairness Snake, if you were counting on Rice this week, you were probably in trouble anyhow.

As for Andre Johnson, that does suck, but look at it this way... at least he won't be hurt in week 3! ;)

I agree that BONGIZMO'S post is the best. Lets look at the BIG picture here, and be thankful for what we have.

You can't fault Greg and Tom for this (this is for anyone considering leaving), as this was COMPLETELY Goodell's fault. If he and his cronies couldn't even CONSIDER they may not be able to play Monday night, this unfortunately may only be the first of a long list of poor decisions made by the commish! :(

Best of luck to everyone in putting together what you got!