Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

BONGIZMO

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:18 am

Weber, this is a lesser event than the big ones thus they can take a different tact in an effort tio try tio gain press and maybe disgruntled owners of the other contests imo. All the big ones, went the same way but as in business there will always be an upstart that will take advantage of an opportunity to beat to a different drummer...
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

TamuScarecrow

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:58 am

I think I stated that last week's scores could and should have been used in this case as you only have one week to look at. A rule should be put in place to use the average for players affected by an NFL schedule change that occurs between the FA period and the first games for the weekend. Some thought will need to be given for how to handle Week 1 but I don't see a reason why this can't be done. Personally, I only have one marginal decision because of this so I have no real stake in this other than to see the right thing get done. IMHO, anyone who gets on these boards and says he based this week's FA decisions on an unprecedented postponement and schedule change is either an idiot or a fortune teller.

After looking at your roster, Billy, I have only one question, did you forsee this hurricane coming and set your draft strategy accordingly? Just curious since you have no coastal players on your team. But let's be realistic for a second. This same scenario could have happened last weekend with the Saints and could still happen again this season and in the future. This ruling by the NFL was unprecedented. Can you remember a time when the schedule was changed in-season?

As for KofQ, your te pickup was a personal choice and not a necessity as you had at least 3 other options for flex. The fact that you see Greg Olson as an offensive weapon is your problem. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:04 am

Originally posted by weber:
Here is one of the other leagues's response to the problem which i don't know how anyone can say is unfair. im an advocate of this league Greg and Tom know that, so im only posting this as a suggestion although i know it's too late:

"RotoBowl Fantasy Football Tournament

Dear Michael .

According to NFL.com:

The Ravens-Texans game originally scheduled to be played Sunday, then rescheduled to be played Monday night due to Hurricane Ike, will now be played in Week 10. Therefore, the Texans and Ravens game will not count towards Week 2. We suggest you replace Texans and Ravens players from your Week 2 starting lineups.

Because of this sudden schedule change, we are adding a free agent pickup period beginning 12:15am Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on Sunday afternoon. Bids will be processed at noon, and teams will have until game time to edit their lineups accordingly.

This is a one-time only addition and will not happen again in future weeks unless otherwise notified by RotoBowl staff. For Help on the Free Agency process, go to Help -> Help Center -> Transactions -> Blind Bidding.

-RotoBowl Staff " Mike, you are a lawyer so you know the legal system better than me. But I personally don't know how you add these "one-time only additions" without having some other legal recourses for those folks who didn't get this e-mail, had power out from bad weather when this e-mail was sent out, etc., etc. Some folks will definitely benefit from this "one-time addition" but not everyone will have the chance to update their rosters.

Again, legally I feel we had to adhere to our rules in place for 2008. With almost $1 million in prize money at stake among all of our contests I didn't feel it was legal to adjust our rules on the fly. Others may disagree, but this "one time occurrence" still doesn't allow a "one-time addition", at least legally in our eyes. Sorry.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:13 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
After looking at your roster, Billy, I have only one question, did you forsee this hurricane coming and set your draft strategy accordingly? Just curious since you have no coastal players on your team. But let's be realistic for a second. This same scenario could have happened last weekend with the Saints and could still happen again this season and in the future. This ruling by the NFL was unprecedented. Can you remember a time when the schedule was changed in-season?
I had K Kris Brown who I dropped for K John Carney.

I wasn't going to drop Rice,and had no intention of starting him this week.

My stepdaughter's Uncle who lives just outside of Houston called on Wednesday, and I said something along the lines of "I guess there won't be a game there this weekend". He said, "If it is going to be as bad as they say, there is no way".

So since I heard the word "Katrina" MANY times this week (in comparing this storm to Ike and the from someone in Houston), I didn't think this game would be in Houston. I DID however think the NFL would have changed it to a different location (which they should have IMO).

I feel far worse for the people who have Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Baltimore, etc. As I stated NUMEROUS times, a kicker like Kris Brown or Matt Stover could have EASILY ben dropped and picked up next week for most likely less than $5.

As far as this happening, the NFL dropped the ball here, but people are now expecting Greg and Tom to fix it???? Seriously, it sucks, but a mass e-mail late Saturday night was NOT an option (according to Tom AND the fact you don't know who would see it), so what else could have been done????

Tough lesson to learn, and I got outbid in another league (although I admittedly was less aggressive than here in the NFFC) and have Brown as my only kicker, and have the Ravens and Texans as my only two defenses in the $650 DC (not that I could change that anyhow).

It is a tough lesson to learn for some, but something will no doubt be put into the rules for next year, so it doesn't occur again.

A statement regarding a postponed game and an additional free agent period BEFORE the season in the rules would most likely do the trick.

BillyWaz

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:16 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by weber:
Here is one of the other leagues's response to the problem which i don't know how anyone can say is unfair. im an advocate of this league Greg and Tom know that, so im only posting this as a suggestion although i know it's too late:

"RotoBowl Fantasy Football Tournament

Dear Michael .

According to NFL.com:

The Ravens-Texans game originally scheduled to be played Sunday, then rescheduled to be played Monday night due to Hurricane Ike, will now be played in Week 10. Therefore, the Texans and Ravens game will not count towards Week 2. We suggest you replace Texans and Ravens players from your Week 2 starting lineups.

Because of this sudden schedule change, we are adding a free agent pickup period beginning 12:15am Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on Sunday afternoon. Bids will be processed at noon, and teams will have until game time to edit their lineups accordingly.

This is a one-time only addition and will not happen again in future weeks unless otherwise notified by RotoBowl staff. For Help on the Free Agency process, go to Help -> Help Center -> Transactions -> Blind Bidding.

-RotoBowl Staff " Mike, you are a lawyer so you know the legal system better than me. But I personally don't know how you add these "one-time only additions" without having some other legal recourses for those folks who didn't get this e-mail, had power out from bad weather when this e-mail was sent out, etc., etc. Some folks will definitely benefit from this "one-time addition" but not everyone will have the chance to update their rosters.

Again, legally I feel we had to adhere to our rules in place for 2008. With almost $1 million in prize money at stake among all of our contests I didn't feel it was legal to adjust our rules on the fly. Others may disagree, but this "one time occurrence" still doesn't allow a "one-time addition", at least legally in our eyes. Sorry.
[/QUOTE]Well said Greg!

Can you imagine if you allowed this and then someone ended up beating someone due to the replacement, which in turn cost that person a shot at his/her league title, or worse even the grand prize??? :eek:

You would have a lawsuit on your hands IMMEDIATELY!

I know you don't need me to say it, but you guys did the right thing (legally and ethically). :D

[ September 14, 2008, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

weber7777

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by weber7777 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 am

Greg, i think that if someone loses because of this , misses playoffs, misses big tournament, you'll end up dealing with legal issues either way fromm some annoyed person (NOT ME), as i said i honestly don't care, it's not effecting me in any major league, however i can provide examples in this league and others of times where things were done that were not as per the rules and added after the fact... u have to have a provision in the rules that allows for an on the fly change if circumstances require... but i understand your point.

Billy thanks so much for your input.... i think Greg can handle it on his own..
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

weber7777

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by weber7777 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:29 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
Weber,

How many teams in that contest? i don't know how many teams in that event but i'll tell you they are competition with these events.. they had about 20-30 leagues drafting in AC a week ago.... and that was just one city.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

BillyWaz

Greg/Tom Ruling Needed

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:32 am

Originally posted by weber:

Billy thanks so much for your input.... i think Greg can handle it on his own.. Perhaps you missed this??

How is me giving my opinion, different than you giving yours???

Oh, that's right, you wrote a CHAPTER about fantasy auctions in a book! :rolleyes: