Top 15 QBs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Sun May 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Okay, Tom listed our Top 15 for the magazine. Here's where each of those quarterbacks went in our three magazine drafts among QBs:

Here are the quarterbacks:
1. Drew Brees: 1, 1, 1
2. Peyton Manning: 2, 3, 3
3. Tom Brady: 4, 2, 2
4. Aaron Rodgers: 5, 7, 6
5. Kurt Warner: 3, 4, 8
6. Philip Rivers: 6, 5, 4
7. Tony Romo: 7, 6, 5
8. Donovan McNabb: 9, 8, 7
9. Jay Cutler: 8, 9, 9
10. Matt Ryan: 11, 10, 12
11. Matt Schaub: 13, 11, 10
12. Carson Palmer: 10, 12, 13
13. Ben Roethlisberger: 12, 13, 11
14. Matt Cassel: 14, 14, 15
15. Matt Hasselbeck: 16, 16, 18

Thoughts? First thing that jumps out at me ... I think 15 is too low for Hasselbeck ( and I'm obviously in the minority ) ... I think he is definitely a better pick than Cassel. Think KC not NE and think Houshmandzadeh

McNabb should be more than one position higher than Cutler. Something is wrong with listing those guys together. Think "The Bears Offense"

Brady should be ahead of Manning ... but it drops after those three. Think "Cassel starting his first game since High school ... even he looked great with NE"

Warner is too high. With the unknown status of Boldin ... Warner drops. He should be lower than 5th. Think "How much Boldin would help a QB if he was picked up ... and take that away from Warner"

Just my 2 cents
Hakuna Matata!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 11, 2009 5:06 am

Boldin's extremely talented but the Cardinals didn't miss a beat when Breaston started. So I'm not sure Boldin's status with the team impacts Warner's value significantly. The key issue with Warner is can he stay healthy again? If you believe he can, then a Top 5 ranking is justified. If you don't think he can, then you'll move him down. Of course if you move him down and he does stay healthy again, you're going to be kicking yourself all season long for passing on him.

Isn't this game fun? :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon May 11, 2009 9:14 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Boldin's extremely talented but the Cardinals didn't miss a beat when Breaston started. So I'm not sure Boldin's status with the team impacts Warner's value significantly. Tom

In your opinion, how much better is Boldin than Breaaston?

I knew the numbers showed little difference without Boldin. But I assume that was more about fluky luck than not really needing Boldin. I am a numbers guy ... but sometimes you have to go with your gut and instincts IMHO.

But if you think the two are close in talent ... than it's a different answer.
Hakuna Matata!

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Okay, Tom listed our Top 15 for the magazine. Here's where each of those quarterbacks went in our three magazine drafts among QBs:

Here are the quarterbacks:
1. Drew Brees: 1, 1, 1
2. Peyton Manning: 2, 3, 3
3. Tom Brady: 4, 2, 2
4. Aaron Rodgers: 5, 7, 6
5. Kurt Warner: 3, 4, 8
6. Philip Rivers: 6, 5, 4
7. Tony Romo: 7, 6, 5
8. Donovan McNabb: 9, 8, 7
9. Jay Cutler: 8, 9, 9
10. Matt Ryan: 11, 10, 12
11. Matt Schaub: 13, 11, 10
12. Carson Palmer: 10, 12, 13
13. Ben Roethlisberger: 12, 13, 11
14. Matt Cassel: 14, 14, 15
15. Matt Hasselbeck: 16, 16, 18

Thoughts? First thing that jumps out at me ... I think 15 is too low for Hasselbeck ( and I'm obviously in the minority ) ... I think he is definitely a better pick than Cassel. Think KC not NE and think Houshmandzadeh

McNabb should be more than one position higher than Cutler. Something is wrong with listing those guys together. Think "The Bears Offense"

Brady should be ahead of Manning ... but it drops after those three. Think "Cassel starting his first game since High school ... even he looked great with NE"

Warner is too high. With the unknown status of Boldin ... Warner drops. He should be lower than 5th. Think "How much Boldin would help a QB if he was picked up ... and take that away from Warner"

Just my 2 cents
[/QUOTE]I agree with everthing you say UYT except the Warner stuff.Warners only issue for me is his durability because of all the hits he takes.But even if Boldin is gone,and this is just my opinion,Breaston will step in and not miss a beat.I have watched Breaston since high school and he is the real deal,and ready for prime time.I think AZ is gonna take the best offer they can get and Boldin is gone before camp in july.There are guys on that team like urban ready to step up to #3 also.I have nothing to base this on,but thats my story and i am stickin to it.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Boldin's extremely talented but the Cardinals didn't miss a beat when Breaston started. So I'm not sure Boldin's status with the team impacts Warner's value significantly. Tom

In your opinion, how much better is Boldin than Breaaston?

I knew the numbers showed little difference without Boldin. But I assume that was more about fluky luck than not really needing Boldin. I am a numbers guy ... but sometimes you have to go with your gut and instincts IMHO.

But if you think the two are close in talent ... than it's a different answer.
[/QUOTE]I think Boldin's a better WR but Breaston definitely was impressive last season. So while I believe there's a downgrade in talent, it's not enough to cause me considerable concern that Warner could not thrive if Boldin was gone. Again, for me, the concern with Warner is durability. If he's healthy, I think he'll put up very good numbers again - even if the Cardinals have more balance offensively with Wells at RB.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Tue May 12, 2009 5:21 am

Agree Hasslebeck should be higher, but his back will be a concern, Warner I rate higher simply due to great production over the years. McNabb and Rivers really produced big last year and might get even better numbers! Last year there were 6-7 QBS you just HAD to draft to ensure success, any of these guys could do good enough to win a league. I notice a number of QBs rated high last year aren't even on this list, Gerrard for one, Jake D.Vince Young, Favre ( will he or won't he?)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 12, 2009 9:11 am

I love looking at the data of our three magazine drafts because it shows how different everyone's opinion of the QBs is this year. As we stated on our first cover, this is going to be the wildest draft in recent memory. In 20 years of doing fantasy football rankings, I've never seen a draft so wide open as this year's is.

Okay, so which QBs are creating the most disparity? Well, let's look at a few instances from our drafts:

** Everyone agrees that Drew Brees is the No. 1 QB to get, but not everyone agrees where he should go. He went 5th, 12th and 17th in our three drafts and we have him 15th in our Top 200.

** Tom Brady was the 2nd QB taken in two of our three drafts, but he went anywhere from 19th overall to 44th overall. We have him ranked 26th in our Top 200.

** Kurt Warner went 3rd, 4th and 8th. Hmmm, I have a feeling some NFFC drafts will go this way too as not everyone wants to trust a 38-year-old QB with their fortunes. He went as high as 32nd and as low as 55th.

** USA Today's Larry Weisman made a bold prediction about Philip Rivers in our first issue (wait until you see what he says) and he's a solid Top 6 choice among QBs. He went 44th, 45th and 52nd in our three drafts.

** Carson Palmer was picked as a starting QB in two leagues (10th and 12th), but was selected as a backup QB (13th QB selected) in our NFFC Primetime league.

** While some folks are singing the praises of a comeback season for Matt Hasselbeck on these boards, he wasn't loved in our three drafts, going 16th, 16th, 18th.

** Brett Favre was selected as many times (once) as Sage Rosenfels.

** Mark Sanchez went 23rd, 29th, 21st, while Matthew Stafford went undrafted. Daunte Culpepper was drafted in one league (NFFC Primetime, 28th QB). Kerry Collins and Byron Leftwich were the only starting QBs undrafted in all three leagues.

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 am

WHERE IS P. MANNING GOING THESE DAYS?

ALSO HAS LEFTWICH CEMENTED THE STARTING JOB IN T.B.?

I THOUGHT THAT WAS STILLA THREE MAN RACE FOR THAT JOB.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 am

Peyton went 39th, 37th and 26th in our three drafts.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
** Brett Favre was selected as many times (once) as Sage Rosenfels.

Who was the person that drafted Brett Favre? He's got some set of cojones to draft Brett Favre and have it printed for the world to see in a magazine. ;)
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."