Top 15 QBs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 am

Okay, I want to have more fun with this thread. Let's analyze some of the top players. I'll pick Kurt Warner, who will turn 38 on June 22. While Warner is a consensus Top 5 pick at QB this year, the bottom line is that he is going to be 38 this year and not many quarterbacks succeed at that age. Maybe Warner is different, but I doubt I'll take the chance on him in any league this year. That's just me.

As Tom points out to me, he has all the weapons and he didn't look old last year, especially in the Super Bowl. But I think we all agree he looked pretty old and pretty beaten up from 2002-06. Can he repeat 2008 in 2009 at the age of 38?

While looking for precedences, it's tough to find any QB who was lights out at the age of 38. Okay, Brett Favre wins the prize, but he aged quickly last year at 39. Here are five Hall of Fame QBs who played at the age of 38 and their accomplishments:

Brett Favre, 2007, 16 games, 4,155 yards, 28 TDs, 15 INTs

John Elway, 1998, 13 games, 2,806 yards, 22 TDs, 10 INTs

Dan Marino, 1999, 11 games, 2,448 yards, 12 TDs, 17 INTs

Joe Montana, 1994, 14 games, 3,283 yards, 16 TDs, 9 INTs

Warren Moon, 1994, 15 games, 4,264 yards, 18 TDs, 19 INTs

Again, Warner can prove me wrong on this one, but I'm going with historical data on this one. Personally, I just don't see myself drafting him in any league this year. QB is a young man's position and I'm going with youth over age on this one. I may be wrong – and Tom says I am – but that's my take on him.

Oh, and this isn't because I'm feeling old after yesterday's birthday. :D I was old even before I turned the calendar one more time!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm

1-Happy Birthday Greg!

2-I'm rating Kurt Warner this year the way Rich Gannon went down. One year, people were saying this old guy can still put up some huge numbers. The following year he was stocking shelves at the quickie mart.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 pm

It is very exciting to see rankings already. I love to see certain players I will avoid ranked high and also fantastic to see at least one of my top 10 quarterbacks (in my personal rankings) not mentioned at all.

I can't wait to start drafting again.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
...also fantastic to see at least one of my top 10 quarterbacks (in my personal rankings) not mentioned at all. Matt Ryan, perhaps?

The addition of Gonzo could make him the most underrated QB in the draft. Going RB-WR heavy early on, and then grabbing Ryan as your starting QB could be the recipe for a Championship. A bonus is that the guy hardly gets sacked and he doesn't get hurt.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 am

Originally posted by Diesel Inc.:
1-Happy Birthday Greg!

2-I'm rating Kurt Warner this year the way Rich Gannon went down. One year, people were saying this old guy can still put up some huge numbers. The following year he was stocking shelves at the quickie mart. I think the fact Warner will be 38 and few QBs have ever excelled at that age are legitimate points. However, the counterpoint to that is how many of those QBs had WRs like Fitzgerald and Boldin (as well as Breaston)? I'm not sure any QB at any age in recent years has had a WR duo this good.

If Warner stays healthy, it's very difficult for me to envision him failing to do well. Those WRs are just too good.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
...also fantastic to see at least one of my top 10 quarterbacks (in my personal rankings) not mentioned at all. Matt Ryan, perhaps?

The addition of Gonzo could make him the most underrated QB in the draft. Going RB-WR heavy early on, and then grabbing Ryan as your starting QB could be the recipe for a Championship. A bonus is that the guy hardly gets sacked and he doesn't get hurt.
[/QUOTE]I agree. I could see Ryan making a Cutler-esque leap in production this season. The Falcons are loaded offensively and Ryan is a very talented QB. If you're the type of owner who likes to wait on QBs he's an excellent one to target this year.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 14, 2009 2:10 am

Originally posted by Diesel Inc.:
1-Happy Birthday Greg!

2-I'm rating Kurt Warner this year the way Rich Gannon went down. One year, people were saying this old guy can still put up some huge numbers. The following year he was stocking shelves at the quickie mart. 1. Thanks Marc. One day you might grow up to be as old as I am now!! :D But I'm feelin' good and lovin' life. :D

2. Here you go on Rich Gannon

2002, age 37, 16 games, 4,689 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs

2003, age 38, 7 games, 1,274 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 am

Greg,

Can you really compare Gannon to Warner. Everyone knows that Warner has God on his side! :D It seems like every year people have reasons not to draft Warner. Sometimes they have been right but he has great upside if not taken too early. I wouldn't want Warner without a solid backup though. But saying all of this, I doubt I'll draft Warner on any of my teams this year as there will probably be better values later in the draft at QB.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Greg,

Can you really compare Gannon to Warner. Everyone knows that Warner has God on his side! :D It seems like every year people have reasons not to draft Warner. Sometimes they have been right but he has great upside if not taken too early. I wouldn't want Warner without a solid backup though. But saying all of this, I doubt I'll draft Warner on any of my teams this year as there will probably be better values later in the draft at QB.

Wayne I didn't compare Gannon to Warner, Diesel did. :D I just found the facts to back up his very accurate comparison. Remember, Gannon also led his team to the Super Bowl the year before, led the league in passing yardage and looked sprightly at the tender age of 37. There was no reason to predict a downside for Gannon or the Raiders in 2003, but of course it happened.

As I already stated, I'm MUCH more skeptical than Tom, who sees little downside as long as Warner has two stud WRs to throw to. Personally, I see an immobile Warner who folded under pressure and had injuries several years ago more than I see last year's shootouts. And remember, these are the Cardinals. :D

I'm not predicting bad things for Warner and in fact approved our ranking of him fifth among QBs for our first magazine. I think he will be drafted there and I'm willing to say in print that there are only four other QBs better than him right now. I just wanted to start the debate about a very high pick who doesn't have historical precedence on his side and get folks talking. The NFL doesn't treat 38-year-old QBs very kindly, so let's see if Warner is 2007's version of Brett Favre or 2003's version of Rich Gannon.

And I went to Catholic Grade School, so I truly understand the power of prayer. ;) I still have sore knuckles to prove it. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:

[/QUOTE]Okay, who wants to dissect this one next? Since I've said Warner could be too old to be a Top 5 fantasy QB in 2009, is Ryan too young to be a Top 10 QB in 2009? Is there such a thing as a Sophomore Slump when it comes to QBs?? Let me look up a couple of rookie QBs and see how they performed during their second seasons and see what the numbers say. Stay tuned.