Top 15 QBs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
...also fantastic to see at least one of my top 10 quarterbacks (in my personal rankings) not mentioned at all. Matt Ryan, perhaps?

The addition of Gonzo could make him the most underrated QB in the draft. Going RB-WR heavy early on, and then grabbing Ryan as your starting QB could be the recipe for a Championship. A bonus is that the guy hardly gets sacked and he doesn't get hurt.
[/QUOTE]Okay, who wants to dissect this one next? Since I've said Warner could be too old to be a Top 5 fantasy QB in 2009, is Ryan too young to be a Top 10 QB in 2009? Is there such a thing as a Sophomore Slump when it comes to QBs?? Let me look up a couple of rookie QBs and see how they performed during their second seasons and see what the numbers say. Stay tuned.
[/QUOTE]As expected, there is precedence for sophomore starting QBs excelling beyond expectations, making little improvement and falling flat on their faces. It's a mixed bag and none of it should be used to evaluate Ryan in 2009. He's a special case and he should progress now with Hall of Fame TE Tony Gonzalez in the offense. But just how much will he progress is the question.

Anyway, it was fun looking up a few examples of QBs who were fulltime starters as rookies and seeing how they did as sophomores. Dan Marino had a sophomore season for the ages, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer progressed as expected and Ben Roethlisberger and Vince Young didn't step up as expected. Here are a few examples below and feel free to add some more if you'd like:

Peyton Manning 16 games 1998, 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs
Peyton Manning 16 games 1999, 4,135 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs

Eli Manning, 7 games 2004, 1,043 yards, 6 TDs, 9 INTs
Eli Manning, 16 games 2005, 3,762 yards, 24 TDs, 17 INTs

Ben Roethlisberger, 14 games 2004, 2,621 yards, 17 TDs, 11 INTs
Ben Roethlisberger, 16 games 2005, 2,385 yards, 17 TDs, 9 INTs

Vince Young, 15 games 2006, 2,199 yards, 12 TDs, 13 INTs
Vince Young, 16 games 2007, 2,546 yards, 9 TDs, 17 INTs

Dan Marino, 13 games 1983, 2,210 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs
Dan Marino, 16 games, 1984, 5,084 yards, 48 TDs, 17 INTs

Carson Palmer, 13 games 2004, 2,897 yards, 18 TDs, 18 INTs
Carson Palmer, 16 games 2005, 3,836 yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 am

You know Greg,that this will be the SEXY QB pick this year.All the wise guy's saying there not taking a QB early and pounce on Matty "ice" Ryan.Whats not to like,Roddy White,GONZO,Micheal Turner,Jenkins could definately emerge.I say by Labor Day his ADP is 7-8th QB drafted.

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Thu May 14, 2009 4:06 am

Originally posted by kapefear:
You know Greg,that this will be the SEXY QB pick this year.All the wise guy's saying there not taking a QB early and pounce on Matty "ice" Ryan.Whats not to like,Roddy White,GONZO,Micheal Turner,Jenkins could definately emerge.I say by Labor Day his ADP is 7-8th QB drafted. Agreed, he will be the trendy pick IMO.

And considering how many Chicago leaguemates of mine read the NFFC message boards, then, sure, let's just go ahead and say it is Matt Ryan. ;)
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu May 14, 2009 5:30 am

When thinking of Ryan in 2009, think of D Anderson in 2008. Both had an "easy" schedule, and their performance exceeded expectations, the previous year; but both faced a much more daunting schedule the following year. We already know how Anderson fared. Will Ryan do any better? Heck, from a statistical standpoint Ryan really wasn't that good last year, but the Falcons as a team were.
The good news for Ryan, imo, is he'll be playing from behind a lot more this year so he'll probably have more opportunities for good statistical games. But, I don't see him improving much, if any, from last year's stats. (3400-16) After a 6-10 season in Atlanta, Gonzo will be wondering why he was so anxious to leave KC.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 5:40 am

RiFF, this is where I believe talent comes into play. Ryan was the No. 1 pick in his draft class. Anderson was a sixth-round pick. This isn't a fool proof method obviously as guys like Brady, Montana and even Marino (who fell dramatically in his draft) can attest. But most No. 1 picks come into the league with a certain pedigree. I think Ryan has the talent to succeed. Even if the schedule is more difficult - and at this point SOS is rather meaningless in my opinion - he's talented, the Falcons have talent at RB and in the passing game. So all of those factors should enable him to succeed.

Is he a trendy pick this year? Quite probably. But that doesn't mean there aren't some very good reasons why he's trendy.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Thu May 14, 2009 6:05 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel Inc.:
1-Happy Birthday Greg!

2-I'm rating Kurt Warner this year the way Rich Gannon went down. One year, people were saying this old guy can still put up some huge numbers. The following year he was stocking shelves at the quickie mart. 1. Thanks Marc. One day you might grow up to be as old as I am now!! :D But I'm feelin' good and lovin' life. :D

2. Here you go on Rich Gannon

2002, age 37, 16 games, 4,689 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs

2003, age 38, 7 games, 1,274 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs
[/QUOTE]

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 am

You can't really compare Warner and Gannon, Warner has much better WRs and the problem with Gannong, I'm pretty sure his big mistake was headbutting A Tampa Bay linebacker at the goal line which broke his neck and ended his career. Warner throws a lot and takes a lot of hits but he doesn't run around like Rich used to. Yes both were high scoring passing QBs as well but totally different styles.

I clicked above on reply too quickly meant to add Happy Birthday too to Greg, enjoy !

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
RiFF, this is where I believe talent comes into play. Ryan was the No. 1 pick in his draft class. Anderson was a sixth-round pick. This isn't a fool proof method obviously as guys like Brady, Montana and even Marino (who fell dramatically in his draft) can attest. But most No. 1 picks come into the league with a certain pedigree. I think Ryan has the talent to succeed. Even if the schedule is more difficult - and at this point SOS is rather meaningless in my opinion - he's talented, the Falcons have talent at RB and in the passing game. So all of those factors should enable him to succeed.

Is he a trendy pick this year? Quite probably. But that doesn't mean there aren't some very good reasons why he's trendy. Tom, if I recall correctly, you had similar comments about Anderson last year regarding SOS. Maybe that wasn't the only factor that hurt him last year, but I do believe it was a factor.
As far as 1st round pedigree....let's talk David Carr, Joey Harrington, Rex Grossman, Alex Smith, Byron Leftwich, Matt Leinart, Jason Campbell....etc,etc.
I do believe Ryan is worthy of a roster spot...but not a top 10 spot, or even as a starter; including 14 team leagues.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 am

I agree first-round pedigree doesn't always guarantee success. And I did not expect Anderson to flop. But having watched Ryan I believe he's a talented QB and the Falcons are loaded with talent offensively. I think everything is set up for him to do well and perhaps very well. I'd be surprised if he regressed this season.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 am

I posted this in the RB thread but Indy's offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd both retired today. Does this have people skittish about Peyton?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich