help me decide...am i missing something?

BernieBaseball31

Post by BernieBaseball31 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:09 am

fellas,

first off thanks to everyone in the other forum who answered my questions. its good to know that people are ready to give answers right away.

i'm not sure if the powers-that-be will let this question stay here, but i'm currently deciding between 2 leagues and i'm just curious what made everyone choose this league over one of the other ones?

i won't say the name of the other one, but i'm deciding between NFFC; and the league with FHM magazine as the sponsor. i don't want to get confrontational, but i'm curous why people would choose nffc over a league with big sponsors and a party afterwards.

am i missing something? i'm definitely still interested in this one but i'm curious if there's something about that league that i am not seeing. they have a good prize and then a party hosted by FHM, that seems pretty cool to me.

i can post the link, but i'll wait for permission first. any help you guys can provide in why i should pick nffc over the other one would be helpful. thanks guys.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:19 am

You can talk about other leagues here. What are you referring to?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:28 am

Originally posted by BernieBaseball31:
fellas,

first off thanks to everyone in the other forum who answered my questions. its good to know that people are ready to give answers right away.

i'm not sure if the powers-that-be will let this question stay here, but i'm currently deciding between 2 leagues and i'm just curious what made everyone choose this league over one of the other ones?

i won't say the name of the other one, but i'm deciding between NFFC; and the league with FHM magazine as the sponsor. i don't want to get confrontational, but i'm curous why people would choose nffc over a league with big sponsors and a party afterwards.

am i missing something? i'm definitely still interested in this one but i'm curious if there's something about that league that i am not seeing. they have a good prize and then a party hosted by FHM, that seems pretty cool to me.

i can post the link, but i'll wait for permission first. any help you guys can provide in why i should pick nffc over the other one would be helpful. thanks guys. Hey Bernie - I can only give you my rationale... and knowing Greg and Tom and the Krause Sports team I can tell you right now you can mention rotobowl.com without any concerns.

Here's my take on them:

1. League prizes are lower
2. Overall prize is lower (assuming both contests fill up)
3. Their bulletin board says they are 'approaching 200 applications' as of July 21... which sounds a lot like '200 people have checked us out' They do post something to the effect that the contest is 'already paid for' so it will happen - but nobody is guaranteeing money or prizes.
4. Greg, Tom and the Krause crew put on an incredibly good event in March for baseball, they have experience running these large 3 -city, big money contests and they have my complete confidence. I've played in 4 different big money contests, and I like this one by far and away the best. You'll never wonder what's going on and you'll always get attention and questions answered.
5. There are Plenty of hot chicks in Vegas. Heck, stop at a strip club on the way to the NYC draft if you want ;)

If you're a serious fantasy football gamer, the NFFC is your contest. If you are more interested in meeting the FHM girls and football is the excuse? Um, go there dude ;)

Good luck - hope to see you in the NFFC.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

mrbill40

Post by mrbill40 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:22 am

Pot odds are great if they don't fill up, high level of integrity from Krause publications, Greg and Tom, plus being in NYC you dont have to travel to Vegas to draft a high stakes game if you don't want to, Greg and Tom have stated several times this event is going to happen, to date several big money events have folded, I won't mention event names, just jump on board and have a great time, who knows you might walk away $200k richer.

Mr Bill
Going for the Quadruple Crown!!!
Draft Champion, Auction, Main Event and Ultimate.
Ezzell Brothers

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:26 pm

Bernie,

First of all, I appreciate you asking an honest question on our boards. Take my word for it, you're not the only one comparing our contest with others out there. It's natural for everyone to ask as many questions as possible so that they can feel comfortable that when they are plunking down their hard earned cash that they are getting what they are paying for. I will tell you what I like about our contest and let you decide between the NFFC, the WCOFF, RotoBowl.com or any of the other contests out there.

1. Trust in Krause Publications. We are a company that has been around for 52 years, we have been a leader in the fantasy sports industry since Fantasy Sports Magazine was started in 1989, and we are part of a $250 million a year company. I think you can also trust in me since I've had a pretty good reputation in the industry for the last 15 years, and as president of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association I have gained the respect of other industry executives to lead the way as we try to grow this incredible industry together.

2. We have one in the books. We hosted the National Fantasy Baseball Championship in March with 195 people competing for a $100,000 grand prize. As Dyv said, those people who competed in baseball left feeling good about the simultaneous live drafts, about the hospitality we showed in each city, and the professionalism of the game. STATS Inc., has run a very smooth in-season game for baseball and I don't anticipate any problems for football.

3. We are honest about our signups. We announce every single signup, so go on that thread and you can see how many FULLY PAID people we have right now. We don't take deposits, or announce applications or anything like that. We announce when someone has signed up and paid in full.

4. The prize money. In baseball, our prize structure was based on 300 teams, but we still guaranteed the $100,000 grand prize even though we finished with 195 teams. We gave out almost 100 percent of all revenue in prize money. Why? Because we are in this for the long term and we wanted to gain the trust of our members. Obviously we are offering a prize package that is twice as big as baseball and thus we need to attract twice as many people as baseball, but we're confident that the next two weeks will get us to our goal.

5. We are licensed by the NFLPA. Maybe that doesn't mean much to most people, but it should show that we are intent on doing our games first-class and working with the players to get extra promotional leverage.

6. The games and the players. Our 14-team league format is unique and I think a lot of guys see this contest as the ultimate challenge. The 14-team format also makes for a longer regular season and our consolation bowl and weekly prizes from Upper Deck Authenticed allow everyone to play hard for all 16 weeks of the season. There's something to play for each week. I also think our gamers are among the best in the industry, as evidenced by our baseball group that is currently competing for over $225,000 in total prizes and by the die-hard players who have signed up for the NFFC so far.

7. Best Buy, UDA and more. There's no question that I can't compete with an FHM party afterwards, so RotoBowl.com has one on me there. Plus they have a strong promotional partner to men. Me? I've reached out to Best Buy to sponsor our Welcome Receptions in each city and will bring in retired NFL players to speak to our group. Me? I've secured 16 Weekly Prizes from Upper Deck Authenticated to give to the high point team each week, so that everyone still plays hard during the season. And we hope to work with Steiner Sports again (who is also involved with RotoBowl) for our weekly prizes to one NFFC person each week. We're also offering eight free fantasy football magazines and other goodies from industry partners.

I think a lot of our guys believe the multi-city format is the way to go in the future and that following years will bring out more and more people to the NFFC as we continue to become recognized in baseball and football as the industry's only multi-city contest. I think some guys feel like they are getting in on the ground floor of what could be something very special in years to come. I agree as our format is set up to expand to more NFL cities in future years as our company is large enough to staff drafts in more than three cities. I know what my vision is for the NFBC and NFFC and we'll see if we reach it.

Right now we're just trying to stand out in a crowded field of contests and make the NFFC a first-class event/contest. We wish all of the other contests good luck and respect your decision either way. Good luck in all of your fantasy leagues this year and if you have more questions, call me anytime at 715-445-4612, ext. 284# or e-mail me at [email protected]. I'd love to talk with you in person.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JB

Post by JB » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:34 pm

Who would rather draft in Connecticut than Vegas or New York?? Unless you live close to the draft site, I can't imagine too many people choosing that option!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:12 pm

Bernie, one more thing since I really hadn't looked at that game format before today. They are shooting for 504 teams and offering a $100,000 grand prize. We are shooting for 602 teams and offering a $200,000 grand prize. Cost is $1,000 per team vs. $1,250. Now if we both reach our goals, I can give you 100,000 reasons to join the NFFC over RotoBowl.com.

I GUARANTEE our odds of winning $100,000 will be better than 1:504. That's not a shot at them at all because we both have our prize structures based on 75% payout, so they have a very sound prize structure. The additional $250 entry fee for our game just forces the total prize money being awarded higher in the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

DIESEL02

Post by DIESEL02 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:14 pm

Bernie come and join..Greg and Tom have been nothing but first class along with many of the the members who will be playing. As you can see many members are constantly on the chat board and Greg and Tom are very fast in answering any questions. My reasoning in joining was the NYC availability..along with the simultaneous drafts in all three cities....and having confidence in the games going forward regardless of how many entrants...how would you feel if you were to travel to Vegas only to find out days before that the event wasn't going on...would you be able to recoupe airfare, hotel and league fees at 100%...NFFC is a Guarantee go..hop aboard
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"

Appleman

Post by Appleman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:51 pm

Bernie, I joined because of the NYC option (family and work won't allow a Vegas weekend), but Greg and Tom have been nothing but 1st class!!Personal e-mails,a better pot and a level of professionalism and friendlines from Krause and other members make this the game to play!!

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:32 pm

Krause Publications is 100% behind the NFFC as it is their project (if you don't know Krause, in addition to a ton of fantasy magazines, they publish Sports Collectors Digest, Comics Buyers Guide and a ton of other hobby mags). I just took a look at the FHMUS.com website and even after I clicked on a football article I still found no mention of rotobowl.com. So it seems to me that their contest is backed by FHM in exactly the same way this one is backed by Best Buy and Upper Deck. If you really want to mingle with hot girls that you'll have no chance with, we can head a block west to flashdancers after the NYC draft!
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.