FF is a science...

sportsbettingman

FF is a science...

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 pm

So...Billy Waz.

I've heard you spout over and over how much of a science Fantasy Football is...and how you have a way to stay at the top like the poker players.

I beg to differ. Let's just agree that there is a LOT that is NOT in our hands...and that if you are in...say...8 leagues...the squirrel will find a couple nuts in a few leagues...even in an off year.

FF is a bitch some times.

I'm having a poor year...and don't feel any dumber or less lucky than 2006...I just shake my head and watch my players under perform.

Looks like you are off to a poor start as well...

246. Whatever It Takes- BWAZZ NFFC New York League 7 1-2-0 373.75 8 Bill Wasosky

I may regret this post...but needed a vent.

I'm frustrated. I see all the trends and injury impacts...and just shake my head because I have NO control of what NFL players nor coaches do.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

FF is a science...

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Lance,

Please tell me where I called FF a "science"? :confused:

I DO believe over time, the BETTER players will prove that via consistency (If that is a "science", then guilty your honor).

How many times do GREAT poker players (based on their history) get beat by a running straight, etc.? Of COURSE there is a lot that is "out of our hands", and if you can't handle that....

DON'T PLAY!!!

Seriously, if you can't handle a little adversity, this "hobbie" isn't for you. I honestly feel I prepare for drafts as much as anyone out there, and this being my 21st year of playing, feel I have MUCH more experience than most. That being said, when things "go south" I generally can rebound for a "respectable" performance, so I am not concerned.

A "science"? Not exactly, but again, the better players will be in the hunt MOST of the time.

Appreciate you "calling me out" though. :rolleyes:

TradeStar28

FF is a science...

Post by TradeStar28 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:29 pm

The one thing that is getting annoying...

and that would be the comparison of Poker to Fantasy Football. Enough !! :mad:
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:55 pm

Originally posted by FI$HER:
The one thing that is getting annoying...

and that would be the comparison of Poker to Fantasy Football. Enough !! :mad: Whatya talkin' about? Lance sucks at both
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

sportsbettingman

FF is a science...

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:49 pm

I guessed you could handle it, B. :D

UFS sucks at both!

2007 is gonna be rough.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

renman

FF is a science...

Post by renman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:08 am

In many ways I think the comparison of high stakes tournament poker to high stakes tournament fantasy football is a good one. I would agree with Billywaz.

Over the long run the more skilled, prepared, a knowledgable players will have the best results. However, due to the nature of the game, there will be snap shot moments where bad fortune will result in a more skilled player getting beat.

BillyWaz

FF is a science...

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:16 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
Lance does have a point here though Billyboy, no?...SNAKE Not sure exactly what his point was???? :confused:

If it is that fantasy football can be unpredictable, I TOTALLY agree.

However, the better players will MUCH more often than not be "in the hunt". ANYBODY can have an outstanding year, or an extremely poor year, but the people who are consistently "in the mix" year and year out.... you can't call that luck.

Don't you agree Snake?

[ October 01, 2007, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:41 am

My list of factors that determine FF championships:

1) Preparation
2) Skill- knowing how to assemble a winning team.
3) Luck- not only with the schedule in H2H format, but also: injuries, penalties, going out at the 1 instead of scoring, etc.

Over time, those that are prepared and skillful but sometimes unlucky, will outperform those less skilled or prepared but lucky as hell.

Just my $0.02
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.