FF is a science...

Gordon Gekko

FF is a science...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 am

Ufs - can u lend me a wr? Nice group!!!!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

sportsbettingman

FF is a science...

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 am

Originally posted by UFS:
And... I'll end this debate....

I'll put $1000 on Childs in every league he plays in against Lance. You would have lost $1000 THIS year... :D

But I'd bet on Shawn all day every day as well. Dan Kenyon too.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
I'm not trying to belabor the point here, but would you not agree with an 18 man roster, an owner is more likely to pick the guy who can provide points today, rather than an upside guy like Derrick Ward, Shaun MacDonald or Sam Hurd?

Maybe an owner has invested the time to find guys like this who could provide points, but doesn't have the roster space to secure him?

Not everyone goes to the draft thinking of which beer they're going to get with their free tickets.

14 team/18 man rosters FORCE one to be good AND lucky IMHO. I don't agree with this at all. I have plenty of depth and am taking shots on extra RB's at 18. See sig.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:56 am

quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

2) A 14 team 18 man roster can be very unforgiving when trying to manage bye weeks and injuries I couldn't agree more with this! I think the roster is too limited for the league size. This only favors the less prepared as they now have equal chance to FAs once the season starts!!!

I'd love to see this increased going forward.
[/QUOTE]Having run 14-team leagues since 1984, this theory seems correct, but isn't.

I've had rosters limits at 18, 20, and 21 over the years, and basically the "impact" type of FA out there now (maybe a Fargas, Graham, D.Ward etc.?) would be out there in a 20 limit league as about 95% of the extra roster spots go to filling bye week kickers, TE's and D/ST's ahead of there need, instead of the week of there need with 18.

You don't know who that impact FA is going to be in advance, they just pop up.
[/QUOTE]UFS, we can agree to disagree on what the extra roster space is used for.

But, I think you somewhat make my point in that FAs will be there regardless of the roster sizes. What I'm saying is that if I decide to roster 2 "flyers" rather than an extra K or DST, then I should be able to. As it is now, if one of my "flyers" pops up, I can't be rewarded for my extra preparation.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Gordon Gekko

FF is a science...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:58 am

Ufs - you haven't had any injuries, except calvin this week. Bad example
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:59 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Ufs - can u lend me a wr? Nice group!!!! Thanks... It could turn out that drafting Welker will haunt me...

Still can't believe Lumpy took a 2nd TE Round 9 (D.Clark, when he took Daniels Rd 7)

I would have Clark, not Welker, and Clark and Holmes would have been in this week for me. I'd be at 170 with TJ.

I took his cuff B.Leonard as pay back though!!

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:04 am

UFS, we can agree to disagree on what the extra roster space is used for.

But, I think you somewhat make my point in that FAs will be there regardless of the roster sizes. What I'm saying is that if I decide to roster 2 "flyers" rather than an extra K or DST, then I should be able to. As it is now, if one of my "flyers" pops up, I can't be rewarded for my extra preparation. [/QB][/quote]

Odds are remote that you'd roster the "correct" fliers.

At 21, I have seen my guys pick the best matchups for their bye week fills, and then go for the fliers after the bye weeks have finished. Better use of risk to make sure you cover potential killer bye weeks...

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:07 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Ufs - you haven't had any injuries, except calvin this week. Bad example True, but 98% of what I'm posting here is about my observations of others running their team(s)in 14 team leagues.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:12 am

But, I think you somewhat make my point in that FAs will be there regardless of the roster sizes. What I'm saying is that if I decide to roster 2 "flyers" rather than an extra K or DST, then I should be able to. As it is now, if one of my "flyers" pops up, I can't be rewarded for my extra preparation.
[/QUOTE]Odds are remote that you'd roster the "correct" fliers.

At 21, I have seen my guys pick the best matchups for their bye week fills, and then go for the fliers after the bye weeks have finished. Better use of risk to make sure you cover potential killer bye weeks... [/QB][/quote]

You seem to be making my point! Ofcourse the disctriminating owner fills their roster with BYE week fillins. But after that, is when you should be able to try to uncover the gems. With the limited roster, this is much less possible.

To your point about about rostering the "correct" gem, my guess is the skilled player would hit more often than not versus the guy looking to get a free Heine with his drink ticket.

Furthermore, to disagree and use your 1 team as an example is funny to me. Especially since you drafted from the 1.01 slot and have had no injuries to account for until this week.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:45 am

quote:Originally posted by UFS:

[/QUOTE]Odds are remote that you'd roster the "correct" fliers.

At 21, I have seen my guys pick the best matchups for their bye week fills, and then go for the fliers after the bye weeks have finished. Better use of risk to make sure you cover potential killer bye weeks...
[/QUOTE]You seem to be making my point! Ofcourse the disctriminating owner fills their roster with BYE week fillins. But after that, is when you should be able to try to uncover the gems. With the limited roster, this is much less possible.

To your point about about rostering the "correct" gem, my guess is the skilled player would hit more often than not versus the guy looking to get a free Heine with his drink ticket.

Furthermore, to disagree and use your 1 team as an example is funny to me. Especially since you drafted from the 1.01 slot and have had no injuries to account for until this week. [/QB][/quote]

M.Smith and B.Calhoun are FA pickups for me.

The skill in those is in that they are behind injury prone players.

Those players have nothing to do with where I drafted from.

It is total luck trying to predict season ending injuries so that their value increases dramatically. At 20, you could have two more fliers.

A vast majority of the time, they will amount to wasted roster space and you would have been better off picking better bye week matches for D/TE/K.

The reward on the flier hitting is huge though, especially in this contest.

That's the fun of the game though. In this game, FAAB is a huge part of the skill after the draft and leaving it at 18 far outweighs whatever skill hitting a flier is. Far outweighs it.