FF is a science...

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:20 am

Why are fliers only successful with a "huge stroke of luck?

Could anyone say with certainty who the #1 WR was in Minny, Jax, Tenn, Oak, in week #1? Could you take a flyer and secure Sidney Rice and Roydell Williams or Brandon Jones without impacting your ability to field a complete team during the BYE weeks? Not necessarily.

Furthermore, would one be more skillful if they hadn't experienced injuries and could wait for a guy like Earnest Graham to surface more than a guy who drafted SJax and Andre Johnson who had to spend early in FAAB?
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:21 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL THAT IS DEBATEABLE AS WELL THAT 18 TAKES MORE SKILL. THIS IS WHY. IN ONE OF MY SATELLITES YESTERDAY I PLAYED A TEAM WITH THE FOLLOWING WR'S:

M. CLAYTON - BALT
D. MASON - BALT
J. WALKER - DEN
P. CRAYTON - DALL
T. WILLIAMSON - MINN
S. SMITH - NYG

NOW SINCE THREE OF HIS RECEIVERS WERE INACTIVE HE HAD TO PLAY CRAYTON AND I GOT BEAT. IT WASN'T SKILL AT ALL THAT IS ALL HE HAD THAT WAS HEALTHY TO PLAY. WITH A LARGER ROSTER SIZE THERE ARE MORE CALLS AND DECISION YOU HAVE TO MAKE VERSUS BEING JUST FORCED INTO A PLAY BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO PLAY.
[/QUOTE]Drafting depth is a skill. Injuries are a part of the game and should be planned for. Thanks for pointing out the drafting skill of this owner. [/QB][/quote]

I BEG TO DIFFER HOW IS THIS DRAFTING SKILL? HE PLAYED CRAYTON BECAUSE HE HAD TO NOT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO. WHAT SKILL DOES IT TAKE TO PLAY THE ONLY HEALTHY GUY ON YOU ROSTER? ANSWER ME THAT.

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by FIGHTINGNOLES:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

2) A 14 team 18 man roster can be very unforgiving when trying to manage bye weeks and injuries I couldn't agree more with this! I think the roster is too limited for the league size. This only favors the less prepared as they now have equal chance to FAs once the season starts!!!

I TOTALLY agree Russ...I think it should be a 20 man roster.

I'd love to see this increased going forward.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]Ummmm.. this is where skill comes in...

18 takes skill...

20 takes much less skill...

The object giving away this type of money is to have it more skill based. We already know there's enough luck in FF out of the control of all.

And don't reply about my lack of injuries this year.

I cashed 3rd place (league)in my first NFFC with Duece, Branch, Julious Jones, and another top 6 pick I can't remember, and two others out for most of the year.

FAAB skill is very underrated in NFFC and the top players know how to use it best.

Why do you think GG pumps all those players? LOL.
[/QUOTE]Your lack of injuries are contributing to your great "skill" of picking up a guy like M. Smith or B. Calhoun.

Others are scrambling to get starters.

If 18=skill

Then would you agree 15= supreme skill?

Why not completely limit the rosters and make people use their skill every week of the year?

Congrats on the 3rd place finish last year BTW.
[/QUOTE]Having FA lists too large eliminates FAAB skill.

As best as possible, you want all skill elements to carry about the same weight... Drafting skills, FAAB skills, lineup management skills....

Having MANY ways to skin the cat, all about equal and important, results in an exciting, long lasting game...

Show me a CBS, Yahoo 12 team league with 15-man rosters and the amount of luck involved is 10x greater.

[ October 01, 2007, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: UFS ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 am

I think he is saying it took skill to have Crayton in the first place.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 am

[/qb]Having FA lists too large eliminates FAAB skill.

[/QB][/quote]

How so? Why wouldn't it make you more skillful that you have to manage through every single week of the season?

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:27 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL THAT IS DEBATEABLE AS WELL THAT 18 TAKES MORE SKILL. THIS IS WHY. IN ONE OF MY SATELLITES YESTERDAY I PLAYED A TEAM WITH THE FOLLOWING WR'S:

M. CLAYTON - BALT
D. MASON - BALT
J. WALKER - DEN
P. CRAYTON - DALL
T. WILLIAMSON - MINN
S. SMITH - NYG

NOW SINCE THREE OF HIS RECEIVERS WERE INACTIVE HE HAD TO PLAY CRAYTON AND I GOT BEAT. IT WASN'T SKILL AT ALL THAT IS ALL HE HAD THAT WAS HEALTHY TO PLAY. WITH A LARGER ROSTER SIZE THERE ARE MORE CALLS AND DECISION YOU HAVE TO MAKE VERSUS BEING JUST FORCED INTO A PLAY BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO PLAY.
[/QUOTE]Drafting depth is a skill. Injuries are a part of the game and should be planned for. Thanks for pointing out the drafting skill of this owner.
[/QUOTE]I BEG TO DIFFER HOW IS THIS DRAFTING SKILL? HE PLAYED CRAYTON BECAUSE HE HAD TO NOT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO. WHAT SKILL DOES IT TAKE TO PLAY THE ONLY HEALTHY GUY ON YOU ROSTER? ANSWER ME THAT. [/QB][/quote]

I already answered that McFly. Injuries/byes and situations like this occur all the time. He prepared for them. have you just started playing FF?

His 19th and 20th players could easily be QB?RB/TE/K/D and NOT a WR and he'd have the same scenario.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:29 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
I think he is saying it took skill to have Crayton in the first place. I AM NOT QUESTIONING THAT. I AM SAYING YOU HAVE SIX RECEIVERS THREE ARE HURT AND THREE ARE HEALTHY AND YOU HAVE TO START THREE. WHAT DO YOU DO? YOU START THE THREE HEALTHY ONES. SO THERE WAS NOT AN ANALYZATION PROCESS AT ALL. ALL I AM SAYING IS AN EIGHT MAN LEAGUE CAN BE JUST SKILL CHALLENGING AND 14 TEAM LEAGUE WITH 18 PLAYERS BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A GREAT TEAM IN AN EIGHT MAN LEAGUE YOU SKILL HAVE TO MAKE TOUGH DECISIONS ON WHO TO AND NOT TO START BECAUSE OF THE DEPTH YOU HAVE.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:31 am

KOT, I understand your point.

He is just pointing to the Drafting skill of the equation. You are speaking to the Roster Management skill.

Two different skills, both important.