FF is a science...

TradeStar28

FF is a science...

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:38 am

UFS....that is funny you mentioned your last point...If I had injuries last year, I may have been on the cover of the magazine with 100k check.

When you have an incredible, well thought out draft game plan, and you execute it to perfection....you are left with a team with incredible depth. Usually this occurs @ the WR position. They seem to emerge out of no where more so than the RB. On the flip side, RBs emerge due to injuries.

I drafted Najeh Davenport and Leon Washington....

I can't wait for the day till either FWP or Thomas Jones get injured. I am not wishing it on them in a evil , satanic way....Just wishing on it so I can get some better options @ RB :cool:
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:40 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by FI$HER:
18 roster spots is PERFECT

Anymore and you will have people hording players and Defenses.

With the bye weeks and injuries, this is where the best owners will shine. Its called roster management.

Furthermore, think of all the goodies that may come back into the Free Agent Pool due to people needing to free up roster space.

:cool: I WONT SAY NECESSARILY THE BEST OWNERS WILL SHINE. WITH ALL THE INJURIES THIS YEAR THERE ARE PLAYERS I HAVE HAD TO PLAY VERSUS WANTING TO. IT WORKED FOR ME AND AGAINST ME YESTERDAY. IN ONE LEAGUE I HAD AND I MEAN HAD TO PLAY JENKINS AND I DID NOT WANT TO I HAD NO OTHER OPTION. IN A ANOTHER LEAGUE I HAD TO PLAY IKE HILLIARD. I WAS EXPECTING A BIG ZERO THERE BUT IT HELPED ME WIN. NOW THERE WAS NO SKILL IN PLAYING THOSE PEOPLE I PLAYED THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE THE ONLY HEALTHY OPTIONS.
[/QUOTE]Maybe no skill in playing them THAT WEEK.

But did you draw their names out of a hat? Or did you use the dart board method?

Because you have obviously indicated their is no skill in drafting for emergencies.
[/QUOTE]NO I AM NOT SAYING THAT PER SAY UFS. O.K. HERE ARE TWO SITUATIONS WHAT TAKES MORE SKILL?

A) FIVE RECEIVERS ON A ROSTER, TWO INJURED AND YOU MUST START THREE. WHAT DO YOU DO?

B) SEVEN RECEIVERS ON A ROSTER ONE INJURED AND MUST START THREE. WHAT DO YOU DO?

NOW LOOKING AT SITUATIONS A AND B WHICH SCENARIO IS THE EASIER OF THE TWO?
[/QUOTE]I'd much rather have only four now as I left Bowe and Holmes on the bench. LOL.

I got your point the first time. No need to say it five times...

And... I'd much rather be prepared for the unexpected and HAVE SOMEONE TO PLAY.

Having B.Leonard actually cost me points this week. Had I not cuffed the #2 team, I'd have 24 more points this week.
[/QUOTE]O.K. SORRY UFS I DID NOT MEAN TO BELABOR THE POINT. I JUST FELT AS THOUGH YOU WERE GIVING CREDIT TO A TEAM AND CALLING THEM PREPARED WHEN THEY JUST PLAYED WHAT THEY HAD.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:44 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by FI$HER:
Honestly...you should have spent $1 for Andre Davis if you were a good player. If you wanna buy a player after its too late, then that is your fault,,,, This is a great point...

The Top 5% I referred to earlier are usually 1-3 weeks ahead of the FAAB HERD.

I've learned much from these guys. This is why I started today saying that FAAB in this game is underrated. It's a skill many are still learning and some don't even realize exists.

My strength in FAAB is judging the right amount to bid.

Like last Week... SEA for $5 and next bid was $4. And of course, the higher amounts also...
[/QUOTE]UFS, 3 weeks ahead, huh? I'll make sure to check your pickups so I can be 2 weeks ahead! I'm on the right track!
[/QUOTE]I'm not bidding on Crayton in LV1 this week. No need... and the guy drafted him Round 8.

Yes, I will pick up my byes for Miller and SEA 2-3 weeks before they are needed. Much cheaper that way and better match ups...

FAAB strategy for each team takes a life of its own as the season progresses. Luckily, I get a few more options this year :cool:
[/QUOTE]I'm curious, who will you be dropping in advance to get your BYE week fill-ins? M. Smith and B. Calhoun? I mean these guys you picked up to prepare for injuries, no? :cool:
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:44 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Drafting injured or injury-prone players would certainly fall into the "skill" category. SNAKE, all four of the players you listed (Westbrook, Walker, Green and Davis) have had significant injuries in their careers. Is it really shocking that any of these players are presently out of commission? I GUESS IT SUCKS EITHER WAY BECAUSE AN INJURY PRONE WESTBROOK IS GOING TO PRODUCE ALOT MORE THAN A NON INJURY PRONE WARRICK DUNN.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:50 am

Originally posted by :
I AGREE SOCRATES AND EVEN TO FURTHER THAT POINT WHAT STARTING RB OUT THERE ISN'T INJURY PRONE. RUDI AND L.T.2 ARE ONLY ONES I KNOW RIGHT OFF HAND THAT HAD A PRETTY CLEAN SLATE AND AS WE KNOW RUDI'S CAME TO AN END THIS YEAR.

Greg Ambrosius

FF is a science...

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:...sorry Greg but no third-person personalities at work here...simply stating facts...the SNAKEsquad has lost the following players in The Main thus far;

Westbrook
Javon
Ahman
Vernon

...the fact that he is as of now ranked #28 Overall (without those key injuries it would be higher) is only because he was LUCKY enough to have Dwayne Bowe and some other players step it up and pick up the slack...Q for ya, GA - do you consider injuries a luck or skill factor?...thanks much...SNAKE [/QB][/QUOTE]Snake, don't be so foolish my son. There was skill involved in you having Bowe on your roster in the first place. Luck would not have allowed you to draft him in the first place. Kudos to you. We also had him in our starting lineup this week in WCOFF and yes there was skill involved in grabbing this kid and fortunately having him in our starting lineup when he went off.

Injuries are a part of the game as everyone knows. There is some skill involved in staying away from injury-prone players on Draft Day, but when Lady Luck wants one of your guys there's nothing you can do but continue to battle the free agent wire for as much depth as possible. It takes a lot of skill to keep battling all year long.

The one thing I like about successful NFL coaches is that they don't dwell on injuries and don't even discuss them. Holmgren was good at that when he was in Green Bay. He played with the folks he had at his disposal. Successful FF owners do the same thing and like John said they are always working the free agent wire a week ahead of the pack. There is skill involved there.

You can harp on injuries all you want. They are part of the game. So is luck. And contrary to what you believe, I disagree that it's 40% of the NFFC competition. But you and I don't need to see the same on things, which is good for both of us. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 am

These are the only RBs worthy of drafting in the 1st round next year, using the non-injury-prone RB-only method:

LT, LJ, Parker, Bush

All others have been injured.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

FF is a science...

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:00 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
These are the only RBs worthy of drafting in the 1st round next year, using the non-injury-prone RB-only method:

LT, LJ, Parker, Bush

All others have been injured. Russ, you are in a sarcastic mood today. Your Colts won yesterday, didn't they? Shouldn't you be in a better mood??

Snake may not consider past injury histories as important, but I trust many folks do. If not, then Westy goes No. 2 or No. 3 next year, but that bothersome knee is troubling. He deserves to fall on Draft Day if he can't play 16 games a season. But being healthy and unproductive isn't good either.

It's been a fun debate over roster size, but 18 spots right now leaves a nice balance of in-season management and Draft Day knowledge. When you have injuries like Wayne has, then you definitely have to make some tough decisions on whether you cut one of your top players, cut a second D, or take a 0 for a week. Yes, those are tough decisions and all part of the process if injuries get the best of you.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program......
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

FF is a science...

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:02 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Drafting injured or injury-prone players would certainly fall into the "skill" category. SNAKE, all four of the players you listed (Westbrook, Walker, Green and Davis) have had significant injuries in their careers. Is it really shocking that any of these players are presently out of commission? KofIQ...been through this exercise before, but as the Prospectus for your mutual fund clearly states, SNAKE is NOT of the belief that past performance (or lack thereof) is indicative of future returns...the same adherence applies for player's past injury history versus non-injury history...The Serpent is merely of the belief that ALL players out on the gridiron are equally predisposed to injury regardless of their history (naturally some obvious exceptions like chronically injured players apply here - for example, Robert Ferguson)...again, ISHO, history is NOT a barometer in regards to player's injuries..sometimes, when one is going for 100K he can't draft scared as long as the risk is mitigated to a certain extent...SNAKE [/QUOTE]Brian Westbrook would have been a consensus Top 3 pick...if not for his injury-prone status.

Ahman Green was pushed into the 3rd and 4th rounds...because of his injury-prone status.

Javon Walker...had major reconstructive knee surgery two years ago. Much like Deuce McAllister, he had a nice bounce-back season in 2006. Nevertheless, is it really surprising that he's hurt?