6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
Positives.

None. Hilarious! :D

Chad, it's not just the actual time to enter transactions that is the major issue here. It's what happens between Wednesday night and Friday night/Saturday morning that is the problem. There is just too much uncertainty with regards to injuries and playing time issues to make roster decisions 4 and 5 days from the majority of games.

The best comp I can come up with is in baseball. During the All-Star Break, we still do pickups on Sunday night -- even though there are no games until Thursday. We don't know how the pitching rotations will be set, nor do we know the status of day-to-day players. Still, we're making moves on Sunday, just like we do every other "normal" week of the season. The end result is a lot of poor pickups. Maybe we grab a starting pitcher who ends up not starting, or a 4th outfielder that gets no playing time at the end of the week. What makes it palatable is that's it's only ONE WEEK out of 26, and a short (3 or 4 days) one at that.

I said last week that we are in uncharted territory with regards to free agency. We have never had to deal with early week pickups every week of the season in the history of HSFF. Not in WCOFF, not in FFPC and not here at the NFFC. These new conditions require forward thinking, not just doing like we've always done it.
[/QUOTE]To me there is just more uncertainty in general. A lot of coaches are doing their best "Belichick" and trying to mis-direct or mis-lead the injury reports. To me, it seemed the number of GTD's was on the rise last season too and neither a Wednesday or Friday or Saturday waiver would help in those spots. You either cover your player via FAAB that may or may not play on or rely on your bench. The manner in which injuries are reported (or not) these days, it doesn't matter much what day waivers are on IMO.

It use to be if they practiced on Friday, they would pay, but that seems to be something of the past.

Changing times...
@RedRyder

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 am

Right before the season, as I can watch the preseason games to see how they look. The negative is that other owners can have sites tell them what to do, much like it would be with Friday waivers. I like skill involved in fantasy football.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 am

Good point Jules, no matter what waiver deadline one prefers.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
To me there is just more uncertainty in general. A lot of coaches are doing their best "Belichick" and trying to mis-direct or mis-lead the injury reports. To me, it seemed the number of GTD's was on the rise last season too and neither a Wednesday or Friday or Saturday waiver would help in those spots. You either cover your player via FAAB that may or may not play on or rely on your bench. The manner in which injuries are reported (or not) these days, it doesn't matter much what day waivers are on IMO.

It use to be if they practiced on Friday, they would pay, but that seems to be something of the past.

Changing times... I agree with this to an extent, and this past season was especially awful. With that said (I don't have the scientific data to back this up --yet! :D ), it DID seem as though players who appeared late in the week on an injury report or were downgraded from Thursday to Friday were more unlikely to play than those who remained questionable throughout the week. So if you took all three practice reports (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday), you could have a pretty good idea about who was going to play and who wasn't. I do know that quite often this year, players who were listed as questionable or doubtful during the week were declared OUT on Friday evening.

The McFadden owners know exactly what I'm talking about here.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 am

Question: What percentage of players selected on the wire are actually started in that given week? (not counting kickers and D's)

Myself, I use the wire to select players for future needs or to select players that I have identified as having potential to help me as the season moves forward (nuggets of fantasy love I call them). I try to make my moves a week or two or three in advance of my projected needs. I rarely pick up a player and start them that week unless I have taken an injury or two that I did not count on. In those cases, my previous weeks prep has usually given me a list of nuggets that I have been ready to pounce if need be.

The other time you go after players is when an injury to another player opens the door for an "unknown or likely available" player to step into the limelight. In these cases, do you really need to wait until Friday to have all of the info? Wouldn't you rather throw your dart on Wednesday if you believe you have found your nugget?

This is a question of work flow for the players who manage numerous teams. I think they will find a way to adjust their prep to throw as many darts as they have in the past.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 am

So if I throw a bunch of darts on Wed. at players I don't expect to need for a few weeks, then on Fri. another player I had planned on starting this week - so I didn't pickup potential replacements for HIM - gets hurt. I'm stuck, unless there's a Fri. waiver run.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 am

"Wednesday only" is not an option I would care for. Almost every player over the age of 28 (OK, so I am stretching the truth to make a point) takes Weds off, and is "questionable". The problem is, that's also true for players that are really hurt. It's not until Thurs/Friday injury reports are issued that the picture becomes a LITTLE clearer.

If waivers are going to be once a week, they need to be on Friday (even Saturday morning). Weds only is a poor option. Both days is fine.

Pete

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:08 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
Positives.

None. Hilarious! :D

Chad, it's not just the actual time to enter transactions that is the major issue here. It's what happens between Wednesday night and Friday night/Saturday morning that is the problem. There is just too much uncertainty with regards to injuries and playing time issues to make roster decisions 4 and 5 days from the majority of games.

The best comp I can come up with is in baseball. During the All-Star Break, we still do pickups on Sunday night -- even though there are no games until Thursday. We don't know how the pitching rotations will be set, nor do we know the status of day-to-day players. Still, we're making moves on Sunday, just like we do every other "normal" week of the season. The end result is a lot of poor pickups. Maybe we grab a starting pitcher who ends up not starting, or a 4th outfielder that gets no playing time at the end of the week. What makes it palatable is that's it's only ONE WEEK out of 26, and a short (3 or 4 days) one at that.

I said last week that we are in uncharted territory with regards to free agency. We have never had to deal with early week pickups every week of the season in the history of HSFF. Not in WCOFF, not in FFPC and not here at the NFFC. These new conditions require forward thinking, not just doing like we've always done it.
[/QUOTE]To me there is just more uncertainty in general. A lot of coaches are doing their best "Belichick" and trying to mis-direct or mis-lead the injury reports. To me, it seemed the number of GTD's was on the rise last season too and neither a Wednesday or Friday or Saturday waiver would help in those spots. You either cover your player via FAAB that may or may not play on or rely on your bench. The manner in which injuries are reported (or not) these days, it doesn't matter much what day waivers are on IMO.

Changing times...
[/QUOTE]Very good point. I agree
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 am

Sorry to chime in so late on this. I've been out of town.
My preference is (d) 2 full FAAB on Wed and Fri.
I see this option as the one that helps the most owners overall. Isn't that the goal.
Owners like Chad who want to maintain a level of skill still have the option of early FAAB as well as extending 2 additional days to account for Thurs/Fri practice injuries or late injury news.
If this is doable as you mentioned Greg it looks like the obvious choice to me.
No need to over think this one IMO.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:19 am

King Of Queens,
You question was directed to Chad but personally I'd MUCH rather draft in July than right before the season... Really just because when I do the early drafts at all sites (not just NFFC) I'll get players like Ray Rice (2009) and Arian Foster (2010) in round 7. Then by the time Classic or any draft right before the season rolls around they are going in rounds 2 and 3 because people get to read all the websites and see them tear up the preseason. They don't have the foresight to SEE it before they actually see it with their eyes or read it on a website. This is why I beg for a Classic draft in July every year! If players I pick get hurt so be it, that happens every year anyway. Little off topic, but throwing my 2 cents in

Personally to me, it seems like X number of players do well each week that are free agents and they get bid big on whether its Wed, Thur or Fri (like Chad, I also am in plenty of leagues that waivers run on Wed). After that you're guessing at which fill in players to take a shot with really. I usually pick up a nobody from that group and he almost always does nothing (insert Jacoby Jones yet again...). Its really just a crap shoot to me. People on here are making it seem like your picking up true difference makers but those rarely exist off the waiver wire vs competition like the NFFC. The main thing is your going to just have to do a good job of managing your team, especially its depth. If you get hit by a bunch of injuries it doesn't matter when the waiver wire runs you aren't winning vs competition like this.