6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Greg,

One more thing. While I think it's good that you have put out surveys, I hope that ultimately you make the decision and it's not based upon the results of a mass survey. Most people will fill out those things without giving it much thought and most probably haven't even glanced at this thread to consider the different possibilities.

Also, I really think that if I had someone like Chad who plays in tons of leagues then his opinion SHOULD matter more than someone who plays one league a year. Don't disregard everyone else but I think it has to be weighted.

If I was making a prediction here it would be that we end up with full Wed and Fri waivers. I'm just guessing.

Wayne Wayne, of course we'll make the final call on this rule change just like we do with every other tough decision. But it would be foolish on our part not to get input from our customers on all of the options. For Tom and I to impose this rule change without your input on all of the options just doesn't make sense. Heck, even with the options not getting love right now, maybe there is a scenario where it could work that we haven't thought of yet. So you get total input from your customers.

But yeah, this is a BIG decision and we'll have to make it. But I still want the feedback of our customers. I think they will help us come to a fair conclusion. And at the end of the day, we all realize that no scenario is perfect and that the NFL imposed their will on us here; it wasn't an NFFC decision to play Thursday Games every week!! :D

Honestly, I can't worry about one person's opinion over another's, but I can think about how this affects ALL players with multiple teams and how it affects people with just one team. We know that the vast majority of our NFFC owners have multiple teams with us, so it's a decision that affects a lot of Chads!! ;) A lot of people will have to think about their team total next year. But as many people have said, that could affect their number of Online Championship and satellite teams more than it does their big money or Main Event teams.

Either way, we'll make the call...but with your help.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Apparently I am one of the unskilled players that relies on information AND an occasional website. I work ten hours a day and I have two kids. That leaves me minimal time to watch the Monday game get some sleep, hopefully not have a game and or practice I have to coach one of my kids at on Tuesday and get some waiver time in. Wednesday same as Tuesday!
I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this board thinking Wednesday night waivers for the whole week doesn't give me enough time. Add in the new practice rules for the NFL with the new collective bargaining agreement and we don't have much news by Wednesday night. As someone said it seems nobody over age 28 practiced on Wednesday this year!

Chad I'm not trying to single you out but I've read numerous times on this thread that 7 of your 9 leagues do waivers by Wednesday. That may be true but we have to do what is best for this entire competition. Are these 7 leagues you speak of public leagues with an overall competition? Are they private leagues? It makes a big difference.

Say we have a season similar to this past year. Lots of injuries. Concussions. More game day decisions than most of us care for. Now imagine we have multiple teams that couldn't field a complete team in the overall main event. Say that happens in week 4. I can't imagine the message board after that week. Its not unlikely to have 3-4 players with concussions at the same time.

I must be terribly unskilled. I do much better on my waiver selections with news from Thursday and Friday practice.

Nelson I know Fred Jackson/C.J. Spiller was one of those situations you asked about. Not sure but I'm sure there are others.

It is a new world fantasy wise. I just hope that the choice made is for the good of the contest and not for the loudest or most frequent posts.
Pat Sorge

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Greg,

I didn't mean to ignore everyone's input.

Wayne

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey Bullgod, no problem on the singling out As I explained to someone on the phone, I don't take this personally and nobody should take my comments personally either. All reasonable men and women disagreeing is all.

One of the 9 places is private. Those are my largest ones by far. Yahoo to be exact. Those run Tuesday. Of the other 6, those are all public leagues that anyone can play in. A majority are not overalls, but instead high stakes cash leagues available to everyone. These sites run lots and lots of leagues. And have never heard once person complain at any of them about waivers running on Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Edit. I played in one other private sportsline league that is patterned after NFFC sort of and has similar deadlines. So it is 7 of 10 places I play at have them early.

They do have a tough decision. Lots of factors will go into my game selections, like they do every year. This probably won't be a major factor in my decionmaking at least when selecting what large leagues I play in. Just another small factor like the different scoring systems etc.

[ February 13, 2012, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Cocktails and Dreams ]

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Originally posted by Bullgod:
Apparently I am one of the unskilled players that relies on information AND an occasional website. I work ten hours a day and I have two kids. That leaves me minimal time to watch the Monday game get some sleep, hopefully not have a game and or practice I have to coach one of my kids at on Tuesday and get some waiver time in. Wednesday same as Tuesday!
I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this board thinking Wednesday night waivers for the whole week doesn't give me enough time. Add in the new practice rules for the NFL with the new collective bargaining agreement and we don't have much news by Wednesday night. As someone said it seems nobody over age 28 practiced on Wednesday this year!

Chad I'm not trying to single you out but I've read numerous times on this thread that 7 of your 9 leagues do waivers by Wednesday. That may be true but we have to do what is best for this entire competition. Are these 7 leagues you speak of public leagues with an overall competition? Are they private leagues? It makes a big difference.

Say we have a season similar to this past year. Lots of injuries. Concussions. More game day decisions than most of us care for. Now imagine we have multiple teams that couldn't field a complete team in the overall main event. Say that happens in week 4. I can't imagine the message board after that week. Its not unlikely to have 3-4 players with concussions at the same time.

I must be terribly unskilled. I do much better on my waiver selections with news from Thursday and Friday practice.

Nelson I know Fred Jackson/C.J. Spiller was one of those situations you asked about. Not sure but I'm sure there are others.

It is a new world fantasy wise. I just hope that the choice made is for the good of the contest and not for the loudest or most frequent posts. I am hearing over and over again "game time" decisions, but how many of those decisions do we really have? Maybe 3 or 4 per week... on average. Just enough to have the secondary waiver period on Friday, after the main waiver period on Wednesday. All it seems we are talking about is injuries as being the main part of the decision making, when really, its the previous weeks or multiple weeks performances, and bye week replacements, that have the biggest impact on free agents, not injuries. And really, at that point, it doesnt matter, Wednesday or Friday.. so the opportunity to have both, takes care of everyone and Greg has already said that the free agent bidding will begin early enough, giving us more than ample time to make our choices before Wednesday night.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Let's say I want to drop a WR for an upgrade. So I'm going to place multiple conditional bids, all dropping the same player. Something like this:
1) My top choice player, playing on Sun, $50
2) 2nd choice player, playing on Thur., $45
3-n) Others, $x

I can obviously do this in a format that has just one weekly waiver run - mix and match Thurs players with weekend players in the same conditional bid. But in a split-run scenario, I can't, because the software would have to potentially award me my 2nd choice during the first run of the week (because my top choice isn't available to acquire at that point).

Even separating the bids from the two bid periods won't help because I'd still have to decide on Wed night "Do I want to put a bid in on my 2nd choice because, if I don't, and I don't get my 1st choice on the late-week run, then I'm stuck with my 3rd? OR, do I want to forego any chance at my 2nd choice because I really want a shot at my 1st, in which case I would remove my 2nd choice Thurs player bid - but then if my 1st choice doesn't fall to me in the late-week run, I could be stuck with my 3rd!" Ugh! [Eek!]
Good point Sandman! A lot of good points have been brought up and more seem to unfold, tough decision Greg!

I think narrow it down to just a few options, send the poll to all NFFC owners (maybe say in the poll to check the message board or spend a few minutes thinking before you just fire off a vote!), discuss a little more and get this figured out!

I still prefer one waiver period, most likely on Friday, as two teams on Thursday, one of which most likely sucks, is something you can plan ahead for

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 am

Originally posted by ForLoveOfTheGame:
[QUOTE]
I still prefer one waiver period, most likely on Friday, as two teams on Thursday, one of which most likely sucks, is something you can plan ahead for I agree with this.

Some people have posted here that they feel like they get an advantage by having waivers earlier in the week before the injury reports come out. My question is do they want early waivers because they are worried about the Thursday game or are the trying to gain an advantage on the rest of the players by having early waivers?

It seems pretty simple to plan ahead for the following Thursday's game so I can't see that being a huge issue. If it to gain an advantage at the expense of others then that just doesn't seem like a valid reason to run waivers on Wednesdays.

Wayne

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 am

quote:Originally posted by ForLoveOfTheGame:
[QUOTE]
I still prefer one waiver period, most likely on Friday, as two teams on Thursday, one of which most likely sucks, is something you can plan ahead for I agree with this.

Some people have posted here that they feel like they get an advantage by having waivers earlier in the week before the injury reports come out. My question is do they want early waivers because they are worried about the Thursday game or are the trying to gain an advantage on the rest of the players by having early waivers?

It seems pretty simple to plan ahead for the following Thursday's game so I can't see that being a huge issue. If it to gain an advantage at the expense of others then that just doesn't seem like a valid reason to run waivers on Wednesdays.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]It has nothing to do with "gaining an advantage" and has everything to do with being able to bid on every player that is playing in that particular weeks games. There is more than enough information available on Wednesday night, to make a choice. If someone is ruled out by Friday, that wasn't out on Wednesday, then this is why we have the secondary waiver on Friday. To me, this format covers all bases. I just don't see a Friday only waiver period as a viable option. There are many scenarios where Sunday injuries could cause major problems, if that particular player is playing the following Thursday, plus many other situations during bye weeks where teams will have to take a zero on a Thursday game. 2 WW periods or Wed Only is the best option and I am sure one of these will keep the majority happy, and not only the big time players, as I am not one.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am

[QUOTE]

Wayne
[/QUOTE]So, let's say we watched and read about all the games last week and we see some injuries, some increased targets, an easier upcoming schedule, etc. that lead us to believe that a player is about to breakout. We're a bit thin at that player's position due to injuries and byes, and we're pretty sure we'd actually start him this week over our other lesser options. But this week, he's playing on Thurs and not the weekend. With only one waiver period that runs AFTER the Thurs game, NO ONE will be able to use that player until the following week.

I'm not sure this is a show-stopper, but it is another issue to weigh.

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
[QUOTE]

Wayne
[/QUOTE]So, let's say we watched and read about all the games last week and we see some injuries, some increased targets, an easier upcoming schedule, etc. that lead us to believe that a player is about to breakout. We're a bit thin at that player's position due to injuries and byes, and we're pretty sure we'd actually start him this week over our other lesser options. But this week, he's playing on Thurs and not the weekend. With only one waiver period that runs AFTER the Thurs game, NO ONE will be able to use that player until the following week.

I'm not sure this is a show-stopper, but it is another issue to weigh.
[/QUOTE]Excellent example Sandman, and there are many others